Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Course Challenge Series Options
Liz
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:39:06 AM

I think the reason behind dropping AJ was because it has had one of the lowest turnouts in the past. But I agree, I think maybe we could move Williamsburg to October - and drop Boone, as we will be playing there for the Ace Race/Day Glo in October anyways. Unless, the new course layout will be complete sometime this season, but that would be too difficult to determine and schedule accordingly. I would be willing to run a campout - glo round before the CC, we've talked about it for awhile now and the obstacle is that the parks won't let us camp there when the campground is officially closed for the season, so if we moved it up to Sept, that could possibly happen. I'm sure the people out in Williamsburg would be happy to see a honest/decent tournament run there.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:06:20 AM

If we played Jolly is September the parks would expect us to pay to get in. Plus there's a good possibility there would be fishermen all over & people parked on fairways.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:38:50 AM

D'oh!!! you're right, I forgot about that aspect. :banghead
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:25:49 PM

If there is any way to expand Oxford, it should be considered.

Actually, I think it would be better to have 2 separate 18 hole courses (like the Monroe/Turtlecreek format) to accomodate everyone who shows up for sure. Some spots at Oxford cause bad bottlenecks/delays and can make for a long round - 2 rounds of 24, with 5-somes could take us into glow golf. If it rains, it could be VERY slow!!! As I recall, last year's Ox tourney was a LONG day - did we even play 24?
I suggest we choose 2 - 18 hole courses for our BID/CCS tourney.
The question is, which 2?
Think it over...
TMILLER
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:52:16 PM

How about Oxford/Cabin Creek?
rangel
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:10:11 PM

Quote:

Sun March 23rd Mt airy CC

Mt Airy on Easter. Good thing I skip Mt Airy each year anyway :think
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 3:21:24 PM

I would vote for all CCS tourneys to be held on Saturdays...
Sunday, March 23/Easter has to be a typo???
Melinda Doolittle (from American Idol) is singing at our church that Easter morning - 3 services!

Cabin Creek would be great if it is available, 18 holes at each course. Each round would be under 3 hours - very manageable.
Even if we have to pay a reasonable fee to play Cabin Creek, it may be worth it.
BrandonBradshaw
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:18:01 PM

There were people Fishing and in the fairways last year at AJ Jolly, and the tournament was in October, so moving it up a month shouldn't make that much difference. Did anyone consider the low attendance possibly being due to the month of the tourney rather than the location? Winton and other courses charge for passes too. Are you sure the parks would make us pay anyway? I love the idea of a campout/glo round of the weekend of the tourney, Liz. I don't know, maybe it's just that AJ is one of my personal favorites and one of the most scenic courses, but I would hate to see it dropped. However, if you guys choose to drop it, I won't make a big stink out of it or anything. I know you guys are just trying to mix things up for a change and do something new for the club and I can respect that. It's good to have officers and club volunteers who want to try new things and ideas from time to time. It shows that you care about club progress. Also, I'm with Bob on the CCS tournaments being held on Saturdays.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:38:07 PM

I will change Mt airy Course Challenge date. I will leave some on Sunday though. AJ Jolly will Probably be dropped this year due to the amount of new courses, and I think we need to support them. Jolly has been the low turnout, I personally really like to play Jolly.

We Played 24 hole rounds and had a long lunch break last year at oxford that is why it took so long. I don't think another pair of courses are close enough together to try a combined one.

Cabin Creek is out of the question.

Boone should be redisgned by October and I personally like the option to play the new layout.

We have too many good courses, we need to start rotating courses in and out.
Example We are not playing Jolly this year. Next year maybe drop williamsburg or Gulley for the year.

Mt airy Date will probably be Sat March 8th then.

bobherb
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:45:16 PM

Matt,
Thanks for taking on this endeavor - I know it is not easy.
Try not to take the suggestions personally - you will hear MANY!!!
You are right, we have sooooo many courses, we have to rotate.

Here is another scenario to consider...
We could get more than 120 folks wanting to play at Oxford.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:52:17 PM

We could easily set up 27 if need be, last year we set up 24 and did not use the field. 27*5=135 players, It would be crazy to get more but it is a possibility

Cabin Creek is too big a hassle to deal with and the course will not be in shape for play more than likely.

NEngle
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:01:23 PM

What's wrong with March 22nd?
STEVO
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:08:34 PM

If Cabin Creek is out of the question, that leaves only a couple options for our half of the combined tourney.  Monroe/Turtlecreek is really Dayton's tournament, they are hosting.  Just the points count toward our series, sort of a 10th chance for CCS points.  So we should schedule our own tournament for June, to make nine in our series.

I kind of see how there could be potential problems at Ox , although that would be a popular course to attract Dayton players.  We could do Monroe/Turtlecreek, part 2, but the redundancy might diminish the turnout at both our events.  What about combining Turtlecreek and Gulley?  The drive between the two is no more than 20-25 minutes, roughly the same drive as it was from Ox to Cabin Creek.  I think we should add our 9th tournament to the series, though, I guess Jolly would be a logical choice for the extra course.

matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 6:08:35 PM

If we are going to try and work with dayton and have combined Course Challenges than we don't need to schedule on the same days.

Next year I would like to see dayton wait longer before making out the schedule.

We as a club have members who play the pdga events and we have to wait for the pdga schedule to be complete. Dayton does not have nearly as many members who play pdga events though and it does not effect them nearly as much as it does us to schedule early.

We can go maybe Sunday March 16th than.
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:10:11 PM

27 holes at Oxford, x2 rounds?!?!?!?!?!?!

I think after the debacle there last year, you won't have to worry about 135 people there!

Holy moly... I'm getting tired just thinking about that.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:32:01 PM

Quote:
Kool Keith - 2/8/2008 1:10 AM

27 holes at Oxford, x2 rounds?!?!?!?!?!?!

Holy moly... I'm getting tired just thinking about that.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with big Keith on this one. I know a ton of Columbus people don't make the trip down to your CCS's much but Oxford has always been one of them that I try to make. I thougth I was goign to die after last years and my parents were in much worse shape than I was. It was a long tiring day with two rounds of 24 there and I think adding 3 more holes would drive away a pretty good chuck of your people. I know I was too tired to play off for the 1st place tie in advanced so I ended up losing in sudden death paper, rock scissors frown

Just my 2 cents
rangel
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 8:25:51 AM

We wouldn't be the first club to run a monthly event over a weekend.

Sat / Sun ..... Am / Pro

Just a thought.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 9:21:17 AM

We are doing that for our Monthly in April. All of our monthlies are PDGA sanctioned though. Riverside drive is a B tier which is why it is being split up w/ AMs on Saturday and Pros on Sunday.
13ruce-137
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 10:07:43 AM

<---rock paper scissors WORLD CHAMPION!
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 10:25:49 AM

I think I went with paper just because it was the easiest one to put up. My arms were dragging on the ground by the time I was done :)
discndat
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 10:38:10 AM

Dang, a youngin' dragging like that. I know I didn't feel that bad. And I had to drive to Kentucky after the tourney so you weren't that far behind me and I didn't have anyone to drive me. Better work on that endurance.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 10:47:25 AM

yeah most definitely... I have already started training for Worlds this year so that won't be a problem any more. I just don't do well with heat, us big guys have the disadvantage when it gets hot out.

You don't have to lug around 250 pounds all day :shame
bobherb
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 10:53:21 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I was pretty well spent after 48 holes at Ox too.
WHEW!!!blush
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 11:16:55 AM

As Homer J. sez "Go rock, c'mon rock!" Last year at Oxford we only had 74 people and 24 holes weren't needed at all. Fivesomes on 18 holes isn't unreasonable is it? Why even think about 27 holes that is absurd. As for course choices I think mixing it up from year to year is best espescially with all the variety we have. I for one hope the sport grows enough to hold two tournaments on the same day in the Greater Cincy area and have them both fill with no whinning at all. As for Williamsburg- I think it is time to stop bashing on the guy who has transformed that course into something quite nice. Yes, he needs to be more professional with tournaments; i.e. when he has a conditional prize based on reaching a certain amount of players that needs to be spelled out more clearly(yes-he did mention that on this site, look it up Jeff V).
Kool Keith
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 12:13:22 PM

wait wait wait...

I understand a conditional prize... like a grand prize. Advertising a tourney with a payout of xxxx.xx based on a coditional turnout. But does that mean that if he doesn't reach that number, that he should keep 100% of entry fees and offer no payout whatsoever to the winner?

I don't guess too many people will be showing up the Williamsburg part 2.