Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Course Challenge Series Options
13ruce-1337
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:39:51 PM

I vote keep burnett williamsburg is way out of the way for most folks and honestly its not ready for tourney play .. the backups on woods holes alone would be a problem.
andersab
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:49:54 PM

Should've came to the meeting to voice your concern...
GStrick
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:18:15 PM

Great job Matthew and crew. Happy to see everything got worked out. Good mix of courses, should be a fun year.
Seanboy
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:00:07 AM

Did I miss it?  Which one of the Cincy CCS is the combined event.  I know from an early post you guys were thinking about Ox.

What's up?
Seanboy
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 7:00:45 AM

Did I miss it?  Which one is the combined CCS?
What's up 
NEngle
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 8:07:31 AM

Big Ox.
Seanboy
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 12:57:27 PM

Thanks

bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:58:47 PM

When I was playing in the Open division (and winning frequently) I admit, I wanted to know if a tourney had added money too, so I could plan my tournament schedule. Top pros DO follow the money - in many sports.
Dave has a right to know if there will be added $ in a tournament and should not be criticized publicly for asking.duel
It would be a perfect world if we could all contribute equally, or to the point where we thought everyone worked hard at some aspect to support the game.
No one really KNOWS how much anyone else contributes so please...
Let's be/stay positive , PLAY AND LET PLAY!   console
While we can!!!

Isn't this new website cool!
FattyJ
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 11:15:31 AM

Just so everyone knows there was an error on the course challenge schedule card that was mailed out recently. The Mt. Airy course challenge is on March 8th not March 11th. annouce
Liz
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 6:02:37 PM

I will not be at the Mt Airy Course Challenge and will be looking for a volunteer to take membership sign-ups. You'll have to be there fairly early (when the T.D. gets there), I can tell you all the stuff you need to bring, which isn't much, let me know if anyone is interested, thanks.
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 8:20:18 PM

This Saturday is the 1st stop on the 2008 GCFDA Course Challenge Series - at Mt. Airy. I located my discs this morning and played my first round of disc golf since the November Banklick Course Challenge - and am beat from slopping around the course at Mt. Airy. I feel really bad for the course and wish there was a way to close the course during the winter months. The course was a muddy mess - worse than I've ever seen.

With the ongoing snow melt, partially frozen ground being softened by the thawing action from the 60 degree weather, and an afternoon shower, the course is being messed up in a way that I'm not sure it can recover. Some basket areas were unplayable without risking losing your shoe in the sucking mud. With all the players I saw there this afternoon, and the warm weather expected tomorrow surely to bring more players, it'll only get worse. Add to that the heavy rains predicted on Tuesday/Wednesday, we're going to be swimming on Saturday - as 60+ dg'ers rip away what little grass remains. Every spring I toss around a lot of grass seed on the course, but that might be futile, this year. The churned up mud will now be washed away by the rains and the erosion around the baskets/tees will be severe. It's a shame to have the CC there in March, but even if we didn't, I expect the people would play there, regardless.

People complained about Idlewild being closed for the winter, but I believe it's the best thing we can do. No ball golf course managers would allow people to beat up a course like this - but I fear this recent destruction of Mt. Airy will catch the Park management's attention. It would be great if we could put up course closed signs during the swampy days of early spring when the course is most susceptible to destruction, but I doubt that would deter the determined dg'ers.

On a more positive note - who has the score board, score cards, and board cards - Blakely? Reminder - if you're not a lifetime member, then you are probably expired, so bring your membership renewal paperwork and money or be prepared to pay the non-member surcharge. Save everyone some unnecessary time in line by having your paperwork ready at registration.

See you Saturday a.m.! Bring a snorkel and slop suit.
Michi
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 9:13:48 PM

I'll be the first to say that as a newbie who played year 'round for the first time this year, I have only recently come to understand this balance. Keeping courses closed during part of the year (maybe on a rotating basis for all of the courses around Cincy) would help a lot on the more treaded courses like Banklick, Airy, Boone, etc. Is there a way to communicate this need without making people feel that they are being forced off of the courses? How do you enlighten people on this?
NEngle
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 9:40:02 PM

I've got some board cards that I'll give to Fatty or blakely on Tuesday.  They have a board & should have everything else.
T_Vincent
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 10:11:22 PM

I was on the course Sunday, and I agree with Pete that many baskets areas at Mt. Airy could easy be used for a mud pit. Would it be too late to gather 5 to 9 baskets to use as temp locations? This way we would not have to walk in all the mud. In my opinion, holes 1,4,7,9,16,17 & 18 could use a different basket. Three would also be a candidate, but there is no non-mud around the basket to make it work. Baskets 4 & 16 would be the first ones to not relocate if we did not have enough. I have a basket and would bring it on Saturday if need be. Are there any other ideas floating around?

Just putting the idea out there.

See you on Sat.
andersab
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 10:15:49 PM

We may have to live with it this time... we need to give this some thought for next year. As much as we like having Airy first, we might want to reconsider this in the future as well.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 10:29:56 PM

Airy Has to be played real early or real late due to the crowds. It was decided to have it first again so that we can have the awards after banklick at willies again. Next year maybe October? But than what course are we going to play first and slop around and maybe do damage to next March? I must agree Mt. Airy was in the worse shape I have ever seen it today though. Lot's of players playing which is a good thing.

Fatty J will be bringing the board and scorecards and will be also picking up the boardcards Tuesday. He will also bring the book with up to date sheets and an up to date payout for the pro's.

I will not be attending trivia Tuesday night or the Course Challenge on Saturday due to the fact of needing sleep and work. I will be working the night shift most of the week and weekend. Good luck to all that play, you will get muddy and slip a few times.
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 7:31:08 AM

Mulch is a good thing, mulch is a good thing, mulch is a good thing, mulch is a good thing, mulch is a good thing and the horse is truly dead and beat. Forecasts predict a high of 30 on Friday and colder for Sat. so it may be frozen mud.
FattyJ
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2008 12:32:58 PM

It's gonna be Ice Bowl wihout the mulligans.
Jbrown
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 1:21:24 AM

I recently had a break in one of my brake lines, and I don't think I'll have it repaired in time. I was wondering if I would be able to catch a ride to Mt. Airy, for the challenge. I'm willing to pay the entry fee for ya. I'm in the Oakley-Madisonville area. by madison bowl. I'm willing to go extra early if need be (prefered:) Jason (513) 531-2711 no cell, so you may have to leave a message if it's possible.
Jbrown
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:33:21 AM

I'm currently havin a little car trouble, and was wonderin if I could bum a ride to the challenge at Mt airy.
I'll throw down the entry fee. unless, of course, I'm playin against you:)
I'm in the Oakley/Madisonville area, by madison bowl.
or if you know someone that could- Jason (513)531-2711, may have to leave a message (no cell)
LStephens
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:22:25 AM

Jason...no need to even ask...me and chad will pick you up.
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 1:30:44 PM

Disc 'n Dat will once again be a CCS Sponsor - we're giving $50 in Gift Certificates for each event. Matt is going to use them as CTP's. Good luck to all and have fun!!!!
FattyJ
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 4:08:55 PM

discndat wrote:
Disc 'n Dat will once again be a CCS Sponsor - we're giving $50 in Gift Certificates for each event. Matt is going to use them as CTP's. Good luck to all and have fun!!!!

Thanks Dan! cheers
agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 5:45:46 PM

A friend and myself are going to play in the upcoming event at idle wild in april, we are both new to tournament play and wondering what division we should play in. I said we should play in the amauter event, is there more to it than that and can we register early, at what cost, and what are the prizes for the ams. And for practice rounds are all holes played to the longer tees and baskets? If some and not others which ones thanks for the help.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 8:12:21 PM

Idlewild CCS never fills, $5 for all AM divisions(+$2 for non-member), prizes are plastic(discs) and usually quite nice considering the cheap entry, and I'm not sure about the tees but one short one long is often the case on that course. Try any AM division worst case you get a $5 lesson and move to a lower division next CCS.