Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Flying PIG 2008 Options
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:03:46 PM

Thanks for running the Pig everybody. As is always the case, there is always input from those not running it. My only thought is  on the Final 9. I like the Final 9.  But if it is opened up for Advanced Amateurs and not just the Open Men and Women I'd like to see it open to all divisions. It could feel exclusionary to some not to be in the Final 9 unless you do have it as the showcase for Open players. Just my 1/2 cents worth. It's not a criticism. I do thank everybody who runs a tournament as it is often a very thankless, tiring undertaking.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:12:10 PM

I like the idea of being exclusionary... it gives people a reason to play in the higher divisions. An open masters player would be more apt to play Open if they want to get the exposure of being in a final 9. Same with players who play down in AM divisions. If they want to be in the AM showcase, they have to be one of the best AM players... I think that makes perfect sense to me. You have the best Open men and women and the best AM men and women all play in front of a crowd.

We did it at Riverside Drive and it was a big success.
2Timer
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:32:47 PM

I have always liked final 9s, but I would prefer that it be on regular holes. They always seem to be safari.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:01:48 PM

I see your point Otter, but then why not have the Advanced move up to play in the higher division of Open to get into the Final 9?
JRott
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:23:32 PM

Playing 24 holes at Airy?!!? It takes four hours to play 18 with five players, so I would think this would be five hours. To me that gets into the realm of way to long for a round. Tee-off at 9:30, lunch 2:30 to 3:30, 2nd 3:30 to 8:30. It will be dark by 9pm by then, so if there are any weather delays we might have to finish the next day. This is pretty tight on the daylight. I can see adding a couple of holes but...just my opinion.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:31:01 PM

I guess one could see your point about only having Open players. I think its nice to see the best AM players as well since we don't get very many chances to be in the limelight. Its important to show people the AM talent that you have in an area as well IMO.
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:13:26 PM

IMO - Final 9 = Open....that's one of the "perks" that you get by playing in the Open division.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:07:42 PM

But an AM final 9 peaks the interest of your AM players and makes them want to play their best. Watching an Open final 9 is fun and all but does nothing for me competitively since I know I won't be beating any top pros anytime soon. Having the chance to play an AM final 9 would definitely make me want to play harder though. I am one of those people that is on the fence with divisions... I am allowed to play AM2 so its a decision every tournament. With an AM final 9 I would defintely choose AM1 just on the off chance that I could get hot and somehow make the top 4.

I like that there are some forward thinkers on the pig counsel... Keep up the good ideas!
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:47:05 PM

I agree with Craig. A final 9 is an extra incentive for the Am players to come to the tourney and to play well. In the last 5 years or more, the best Am score wouldn't even have cashed in Pro much less been in the pro final 9. Telling Ams all they have to do is move up to be in the final 9 is a little too simple. We're Ams for a reason. Sure, an Am final 9 would steal the spotlight a little from the Pro's, but it would be a nice perk for the Ams (who make up 75% of the field).
Dizk Golfur
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:19:07 AM

I thought the final nine was only for the open players.....so if by some crazy chance I am in the top four this year I have to play an extra 9 holes? What if I don't want to? Leg doin' better Dan?
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:43:59 AM

The Pig is going to be great this year. Looking forward to it, that is, if I can play. Still working on getting those dates free. Hey Bill, you're only going to be playing 24 holes that day and 9 more if you get to the Final 9. Oh, did I forget to mention you will be playing 48 on Saturday at where?? - Mt. Airy!! Saturday is going to be a long tiring day for some of us. Fun, but long and tiring. Hope to see everybody there. I'm switching the Final 9 topic to another thread of it's own. No sense in hijacking this one for that.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:59:13 PM

discndat wrote:
The Pig is going to be great this year. Looking forward to it, that is, if I can play. Still working on getting those dates free. Hey Bill, you're only going to be playing 24 holes that day and 9 more if you get to the Final 9. Oh, did I forget to mention you will be playing 48 on Saturday at where?? - Mt. Airy!! Saturday is going to be a long tiring day for some of us. Fun, but long and tiring. Hope to see everybody there. I'm switching the Final 9 topic to another thread of it's own. No sense in hijacking this one for that.

Thanks Dan.
andersab
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:41:01 PM

Hey everyone just to keep you updated, here is a pic of a star xcaliber and a pro pig with this year's pig stamp.

The Pro Pig is our fundraiser disc, I will have them with me and they will be $20.  We have 20 of these.  They are a first run Pro Pig with this year's stamp.  They go first come, first serve.  You can email me and arrange payment by PayPal for purchasing.

Hopefully tomorrow, I can put up a pic of the discraft discs.  They should arrive then.

You can download these pics on the links below.

XCaliber

Pro Pig
osu_buckeyes
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:04:50 PM

thumbsup  Those are pretty nasty looking. I can't wait to see how the full color Buzzz turns out.
Micah
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:33:42 PM

dude i can t wait to see what the discraft look s like . i haven t played in the pig before and i am hopin to play this year . i can t wait =}
andersab
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:26:12 PM

I am glad that everyone likes the artwork.  I work with one amazing graphic artist.

If you would like to see more artwork from Christopher Wood PLEASE visit his website. (http://www.choosechris.com)

Please also use his site to contact him and tell him how much you like his artwork.  He did this free of charge for the club and I believe that you should all tell him how much you appreciate it.

His website allows you to email him through it or you can email choosechris@gmail.com.

Again, this was done in his free time with me being a horrible "customer".
andersab
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 9:05:58 AM

5 Pro Pigs have been purchased... 15 left :-)
andersab
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 11:51:06 PM

First 20 spots have been taken in the PIG...
Matt Nienaber
Nick Engle
Matthew Blakely
Dave Hollingshead
Mike Buchanon
Martin Young
Dan Hollingshead
Colin Hurley
John Rabago
Frank Garcia
Matt Coppel
Kelly Maupin
Jim Toll
Lee Stephens
Aleksandra Hollingshead
Paul 'Paulie' Bagwell
Ed Nienaber
Eric Simpson
Scott Schmidt

annouce 11 Pro Pigs left...!
Dizk Golfur
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:39:26 AM

Im in! what kind of disc is a pro pig? putter?
andersab
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:56:38 PM

Dizk Golfur wrote:
Im in! what kind of disc is a pro pig? putter?

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/propig.html
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:34:28 AM

The PDGA site has been updated with players.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:56:31 AM

Here's the link to the Registration List: http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=7737  I see we have a Legend signed up. Ok, Eades, you're a Legend too, but not that kindbow
Dizk Golfur
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:33:55 PM

I registered online but my names not on the list. was it updated today?
BIGBOY
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:45:16 PM

You guys are pushy. I will attempt to update list on the PDGA website every evening, so if you register online or by mail please give me 48 hours to update. Once you guys register I have to manually add you to the PDGA website. This is not an automatic process. If you have any more questions regarding your registration please give me a call. cell 513-520-1432. And for those of you who do not know me my name is John. As we get closer to the tournament date I will try to update more often but we should fill early so make sure you sign up soon. Don't wait till the last minute to register or you might not get a spot.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 9:17:25 PM

Don't forget the PIG registration ends on August 15th :-)