Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Winton Woods Options
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:29:17 AM

I was driving by the Winton course recently, and as I turned around in the next parking area (back by the camping cabins, overlooking the lake), I noticed at least five baskets set up along the woodline surrounding the parking lot. Does anybody remember when these were put in, and what they were used for? I vaguely recall playing a tournament over a decade ago where there were extra holes used, but I can't remember whether these holes were part of an extra 9, or if we played to them from the regular 18 (the extra holes are about 200 yds. from the regular course, through the woods).

Any long time veterans remember these baskets? They're permanently installed.
frizgolf
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:12:56 PM

More baskets at Winton?
News to me.
STEVO
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:31:08 AM

Yup, there are at least 5 that can be seen from the parking lot. They look like they've been there a long time (old baskets).

C'mon, old timers, somebody must know how they got there....
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:25:17 AM

didn't winton just replace their baskets a couple years ago? could those just be some of those old baskets?
discndat
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:33:38 PM

That's what I was wondering Brian - I don't know of any others out there.
rangel
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:34:46 PM

When do they have that gate open. The few times I've been up, that gate has been closed. I thought maybe it was a conspiracy of some sort :uhoh maybe another Area 51 :lurk
frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:57:39 PM

That's what I was wondering, too. When is that gate open?
pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:24:58 PM

I believe the baskets that are back in area 51 are the old crappy ones from the original course - they are for use of the scouts / camping groups. They've been there for a couple years.
ccs
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 5:23:19 PM

I went to the Hamilton County Parks auction the year they changed the baskets and they sold what was left of the old ones. I arrived a little late so I had no chance to bid on them. They were in a big pile strapped to giant pallet.
:toilet

I might be wrong but that's what I saw.
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 5:41:04 PM

Hamilton County also had the old Woodland Mound baskets - some of those were used to patch in missing baskets at Winton before they replaced all of them. I remember old Woodland #12's basket (hole since removed) was put into duty when Winton #5 was stolen.
PaulDmt
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 5:50:42 PM

Yes, Pete's right. Those are some of the old crappy baskets that the parks held onto so whenever the cub/boy scouts use the back area they don't have mix with the rest of us. They've been there a number of years as Hank spotted them like 4 years back.

Steve - we did play extra holes out there. I don't recall if it was an ice bowl or addition for NYD. All those holes were temps out in the ultimate field and didn't go near these baskets.
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:05:52 PM

We played the extra temp holes in the field (plus an extended #1) when Brian McGill (remember him?) ran the New Year's Day tourney and the Winton Course Challenges for a few years - I think we played them 3 times? They added a nice distance and open air dimension to the course.
STEVO
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 8:20:36 AM

Ah, yes, Winton Woods on steroids....I remember those layouts. Hole 1's tee was right in front of the bathrooms. Hole 9's basket was in the open right behind the bathrooms (one year hole 8's tee played to hole 9's basket). Hole 10's tee was moved back 40 feet to the cement sewer lid behind the bathrooms. And then six holes were added in the open, as Paul and Pete said. It made for a fairly competitive 24 hole course. I only recall it being used when Winton was on the CCS schedule, I think NYD was always the regular 18 hole layout.

I guess I just had a dejavu moment at that back parking lot where the old baskets are. I coulda swore I played them once a long time ago....:think

Where IS Brian McGill??