Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

was curious about what makes an event sanctioned? Options
rufo0420
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:19:58 PM

call me silly, but don't know what qualifies a specific tournament to be sanctioned.
trying to play in enough events to get rating going.
any knowledge will be welcomed.

pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:07:31 PM

For a tournament to be sanctioned by the PDGA, a TD must fill out and submit to the PDGA, its sanctioning agreement. This requires a certified official, promises to carry out the tournament by the PDGA's rules, and most importantly - payment of sanctioning fees. The penalty for not abiding by the PDGA's rules is that you may not receive sanctioning the next time. See:
http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08SanctionAgreement.pdf

It just gives an indication to players that the tournament will be run in a standard manner, that ratings and points should be received, payouts should be by the PDGA's standard charts, and things should be on the up-and-up. Rumor has it that this is no guarantee as some people claim to havel seen sanctioned events that are run pretty weakly.......although I can't think of any.....
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 2:05:49 PM

Rusty, check out the PDGA website http://www.pdga.com/ under PDGA TOUR. Right now, it is fairly empty but tourneys fill in fast at the end of January.Any tournament listed there is sanctioned so your rounds will count toward a rating.For points(not ratings) you should try to play at least two each of A, B, and C tier events. This will get you a rounded tournament experience-The Memorial, which you said you were attending, is an NT and has the top competition. To get rated you need not go to just the top tiered events, simply play in the sanctioned events. Doubles events don't count . The Gulley Open and Kentucky States are good events at the C level. The Disc-n-Dat Bluegrass Open and The Flying Pig are good local B tiers. subtle Pete...
andersab
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 2:08:38 PM

Quote:
finnhawc - 1/4/2008 4:05 PM
The Disc-n-Dat Bluegrass Open and The Flying Pig are good local B tiers.subtle Pete...

Bluegrass Open is an A-tier...
http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=7318
bobherb
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 2:26:12 PM

Russ,
I do not know how long you have been playing but the local Course Challenge series, and leagues too are great ways to break into organized disc golf play. Have you played in either of these formats yet? If not, I recommend you do so prior to attending the more stressful, rigid, more expensive PDGA sanctioned events.
Have FUN!!!
rufo0420
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 4:42:37 PM

thanks for the info all. Helps tremendously!
And Donavan, I will take ur advice and mix up the tiered events.
will play in most of course challenges, unless bigger and better tourney calls.
I'm an addict!
Hope to see u all on the course!

peace out all