Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Verona, KY Options
bobherb
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 4:20:33 PM

Picture the land which contains long holes 13 and 14 at Idlewild...         :palm                    (There yet?)
O.K.,
now add greater/more dramatic elevation changes, larger hardwood trees, no briars, bushes or any ground cover, less small trees, and add some creeks, just for "extra" fun and aesthetics.

Then, imagine 18 highly technical holes in this ideal land for disc golf and you have what is proposed to be a new, wonderful course in Verona, Kentucky.

Thanks to Fred's years of hard work,   :homeimp  he has a great working relationship with David Whitehouse (Boone county park dude/Superintendent?) and has the opportunity to head up the design of another course in Boone county. I got to see this land a few days back (my knees are recovered now)  :smile  and agree with Fred this could easily become the location for another World class course in our area (need a currently non-existent emoticon here).

It is, without doubt, some of the best land I have ever seen for disc golf!!!

Spread the word...   :talking

and...

GET EXCITED!!!

2Timer
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 6:06:28 PM

How far away is it from Idlewild?
Touringam2
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 6:15:10 PM

ANOTHER FRED SALAZ COURSE!

I might have to come up with a reason to move to the nati.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 6:19:43 PM

Dave, it's about 15 to 20 minutes from Florence, 30 from Idlewild.
discnforfun
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 6:29:23 PM

Do we have a Google Map location so we can start salivating right now???
agentdozzer
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 6:58:08 PM

How far off the verona exit on 71?
NEngle
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 11:14:58 PM

What's the ETA?
midnite30
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 9:39:13 AM

Eagerly awaiting more details...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 10:13:02 AM

Sorry, probably by spring but there's not even a road going back to the area where the disc golf course is supposed to be laid out. So the course will probably be done before the road and parking lot for disc golf is completed. I will post when I have more news.
agentdozzer
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 6:07:19 PM

Love to see another course in the area, Does this park have camping? That would be sweet, the only course i know of with camping is aj any one else know of any?
discnforfun
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 7:00:38 PM

Miami Whitewater has camping but the disc golf course is not the greatest.
perica
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:59:37 AM

winton woods has camping too. I think that woodland mound has camping down by the river, but have never seen it for myself.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:00:30 AM

I do not think there will be camping, Fred may know for sure.
There is an artificial turf football field (nice, fenced in of course) near the entrance used by the local high school and I think plans are in place for several other activities in the graded, open areas, such as baseball and soccer - a bit similar to Idlewild.

The property is adjacent to the interstate (east side) and we could hear noise coming from it - this will be masked somewhat when the trees leaf out in the Spring.

Fred is waiting to hear where the course is to start (hole #1) and where any running/walking trails will compete/interfere before any holes can be laid out. It appears a double loop may not be possible this time, as we accomplished at Idlewild but, do not worry, it will be a great course even if the double loop does not happen. Many par fours are likely.

The hills really are dramatic but not quite as steep as old #12 at Banklick (I guess it is #14 now?). As far as I know the course will have few to no open holes. As I said before, if you like #'s 13 and 14 at Idlewild (and even old #'s 7 and 8 at Airy) you will like Verona. It is possible, if it rains a lot, the course could become a bit slick because there is absolutely NO grass present under the dense canopy formed by the mature forest. My guess is some of the many old hardwood trees are aged well over 100 years. Even with some thinning to form fairways, grass is not likely to grow because the remaining trees are very tall and will fill in any canopy voids very quickly. Very few flecks of light ever reach the ground in a forest of this type. Sun burn will not occur there and it will be a COOL course to play on hot summer days - sort of an anti-Harbin in that respect.

Most players should like it. It will be challenging to score well and will provide a challenging workout too - whew!!!

rangel
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 9:19:34 AM

The front half of Verona park is the Walton Verona Sports Complex.
Football, Baseball, Softball, Soccer (fields) and Tennis (courts) are all operational.
The stuff needed for Track and Field should be ready by this spring.
The cross country team used part of the walking trails for their meet last fall.

If you venture down that way, there are three marked walking trails. I guess it would be the north half of the park. You can park all the way in the back between the last soccer field and the baseball field. Then walk out to the far corner of what you see as the park. You can find the start of the walking trails by going over the hill....like you were trying to extend the left field foul line. All three trails start there and end back closer to where you parked. The end may not be very easy to find. And there is a loop trail back to the start. The trails are marked OK I guess, but it took me a second try to get it.

From the north. Take I71 to the Verona exit. Turn left off the exit and proceed past the two gas stations. The entrance is marked and is just on the other side of the blue repair shop (I forget the name).

No camping at this point.

And for those who know high school sports. WV now has a Jr High and a Jr Varsity football teams. Go WV!
LStephens
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:47:52 AM

Bob, The way you describe it....sounds like it could be laid out similar to The Great Seal. Some of those holes there are just incredible. I would really like a course near by that had elevated tee pads that shoot 400-500 feet thru old growth hardwoods.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:14:12 AM

I have played Great Seal and you are correct, it is similar, but this forest is even more consistently dense in comparison, and the elevations are more constantly changing - not many flat areas. Also, I do not remember any Pine trees at Verona in contrast to Great Seal's Pine population, if my memory is correct.
From what Fred has said, the course will likely be 100% in the woods. Walking the course will be quite a hike. I need more exercise anyway, so I guess it will be a good thing for me.
agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 6:23:32 PM

Sounds like i should play this Great Seal, as i love wooded courses, where is it located?
chief32
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 6:44:24 PM

Great Seal is in Chillicothe. If you go there, try Pike Lake also. You can find courses on www.chillicothediscgolf.com
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:45:18 AM

No camping in Verona as far as I know.
perica
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:06:37 PM

the closest camping is probably big bone lick. phil miller told me he met some really nice guys down there.
Lingo1976
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:43:18 PM

Speaking of camping at Big Bone.............. why is there no course there? I tend to think camping and disc golf go together like two peas in a pod!!!!! I have played every course in OH, KY, IN, WV, VA, and NC.......... In a 4 day disc golf getaway you can hit up most of the courses in one state. Needless to say I have had many weekends away. Anyway I was always amazed how far most of the courses were from a campground. There are courses however with camping at the same park and we were always glad to give them some money to put up a tent and build a fire. Plus a little "glow" never hurt anyone.

POINT IS........... parks with Disc Golf could profit from a few places to put up a tent..... and Parks with camping could profit from a Disc Golf Course

"Get up a Get, Get down, 911 is a joke in your town"

J-son
agentdozzer
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:16:55 PM

I highly agree, i plan on taking alot of weekends this summer to play courses in bowling green, and chillicothe and am always looking for places to camp. It really keeps down on the cost of the trip. Gotta love AJ disc all day and fish all night.
frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:36:56 PM

Quote:
perica - 1/10/2008 4:06 PM

the closest camping is probably big bone lick. phil miller told me he met some really nice guys down there.

Hah! That was a slap!
Quote:
Lingo1976 - 1/10/2008 5:43 PM
"Get up a Get, Get down, 911 is a joke in your town"

Damn, I just heard that tune a minute before I read this.
Coincidence?
LStephens
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 1:24:49 AM

Russ, the sad thing is...he's listening to the Public Enemy version..while you are listening to the Duran Duran version :)
andersab
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 10:47:40 AM

Quote:
LStephens - 1/11/2008 3:24 AM

Russ, the sad thing is...he's listening to the Public Enemy version..while you are listening to the Duran Duran version :)

:shades laugh