Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

who/ where? Options
Zeigler
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 10:40:04 AM

Rufo....what time and where at on that exit?
rufo0420
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 10:40:24 AM

meet at 11 at Eastgate, can u still make it there in time?
Zeigler
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 10:41:04 AM

i will leave ASAP

rufo0420
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 10:41:13 AM

have to pick 2Timer up from Beechmont at 11:15
rufo0420
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2008 10:41:51 AM

cya there will be driving blue Malibu.....meet by Sears
rufo0420
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:37:20 AM

anybody going mudding today?
soundmind
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:50:06 AM

weather sayz light rain . so im in !
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:08:34 PM

I know I shouldn't say this but do you guys realize how much damage you are doing to the disc golf courses by playing in these conditions. It causes all kinds of erosion problems for the rest of the year. With the freezing and thawing that goes on in this area the top layer of either grass or dirt easily gets scraped or trampled down. THAT is the main reason we closed Idlewild. The courses need a break too.
Please don't take this wrong cause I love this game as much or more than anyone but we need to think about the future of the sport for this area. The parks are going to see the erosion problems caused by so much play that they might even close the disc golf courses permanently.
If you really have to be out on the disc golf course come on out to Idlewild on Saturdays and be productive instead of destructive. You'll enjoy it twice as much.
13ruce-137
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:54:56 PM

Hrmmm .. i dont mean any disrespect Fred .. i know you really do alot for the sport locally .. but i have to play devils advocate on this one. What you propose would be that we stay inside all year long even on 60 degree Feb. days because its trashing the natural environment. In the same breath you ask for help cutting down trees moving dirt and basically turning a natural park into a tailored disc golf course. What sounds more destructive to me is wheel barrels, shovels, light duty trucks and chainsaws on the course rather then a few stoners who want to get a round in here or there. Not trying to start any bad blood I totally understand where you coming from. Just my 2 cents.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:05:09 PM

It makes sense to not listen to a guy that gave you one of the best courses in the area... I mean what does he know. He only spends all of his extra time out on a course so that you can have a world class course in your back yard.

Sounds like a good idea to me :nuke
13ruce-137
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:25:26 PM

Hey im not out doing either .. just making a comment on a web page
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:35:05 PM

Chad, like I said don't get me wrong but I've been where you are now. All I wanted to do was play 365 days a year if possible. Don't worry it will pass with time.
Quote "turning a natural park into a tailored disc golf course"
I guess that's what we are doing. Turning a natural setting(which isn't always pretty) into a tailored disc golf course. We are creating an enviroment in which future disc golf courses may follow. Making gravel paths that can withstand all the traffic, creating boundries(walls and Railroad ties)so that everyone plays by the rules not just tournament players, building bridges so that you don't have to get your feet wet, cutting down and removing dead trees so that the sunshine can come through and nourish the grass so that you have something nice to walk on and look at.
I'm not a tree hugger but I do care about the damage we're doing.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:47:45 PM

Fred does not want you guys arguing, just working at Idlewild.
He is right (as for me), it is actually more fun to play after you have worked.
Also, there are occasions where it is too sloppy and Fred will not work on the course either.
Some areas (high spots) on a course can usually be worked on when the rest of the course is muddy.
Sometimes the only thing doable is spreading gravel.
When you play a course, however, you have to step/twist/spin EVERYWHERE, causing damage to the sloppy spots especially.

We LOVE trees and would prefer to not cut any. :palm

They are not all equal in our eyes though, and some are just in the way.

rufo0420
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:49:22 PM

well....let's just agree to disagree!!!!
people who want to play 365 days a year are desperately needed for this sport to succeed!!!!
by the same token; people who maintain courses, tutor younger players etc. also are essential!!

so to the "maintaining veteran" to the "stoner all year longer"......I say thanks!!!!!!!
TyFarina
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:49:34 PM

OK seeing both sides of the subject I have to confess i'm with the keeping the courses nice campaign.....After a sloppy game in the marshes of AJ yesterday, i'm seeing how bad it is in even the open areas.... Chad i'm all for practicing year round, hence why I got the practice disc catcher to work on my MUCH needed putting. Are there any alternatives like throwing in open fields, aiming for trees in other parks, or possibly, just working on form that could be used on rainy, muddy, days? I have an equalizer that i am now using on days like today, and the disc catcher works like a charm in parking lots at my apt. Hell I had to miss working out on idlewild 2 weeks ago to be in a tournament in Toledo.....with a nice snow covered ground and solid ground for 6 inches.....but that's Northern Ohio weather....down here the ground doesn't get a good chance to freeze up like that, hence all the erosion control needed..... just think of the trench between 16 and 17 at Banklick.....
matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:18:52 PM

How about A work Day @ turtlecreek on Sunday February 10th? Time Undecided at the moment. Biggest Chore, Removing Honeysuckle!!! Almost all the wooded holes have an excess amount of it.

Other tasks to deal with at a later date include leveling of the wooded tee-pads.

Please feel free to come out and help.
TyFarina
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:25:33 PM

Matt I'm not sure I can make it there on Sunday yet, playing a tourny in MI on Saturday, but i'll see what I can swing. What else ie. tools and what not are needed?
LStephens
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:16:41 AM

I say we use artificial turf on Woodland and Winton...with some nice drainage. Then we can play anytime and let the other courses rest for the wet season. After playing in the mud at the Gulley on Sunday I can see how much damage just walking does to that course. Matthew we need to get some concrete teepads on that course this year. If we had to play a tournament out there after a day of rain...we'd destroy that course in one round.
soundmind
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:10:17 AM

green grazz is very nice. whoz driving to temprence?
rufo0420
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:24:39 AM

sup all?

anyone playin today?
soundmind
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:28:25 AM

where you wanna play?
rufo0420
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:30:05 AM

don't know yet, haven't been outside yet
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:31:21 AM

This post is for the die hards that play no matter the weather. Good for you, your game will improve; however, Fred is right the cost is increased erosion. Where I'm from, this problem only lasted from the mid-March until mid-April and there they aren't of the foolish belief that mulch turns to mud. Play everyday if you can but choose courses that can handle the wear or better yet go throw in open field. If you must throw at something play object golf, like we had to before baskets were invented, in a park. I guy I know named Sugar Shack uses these nasty conditions to practice his standing still throws and he is likely best in the world at shooting disc from a fixed stance.Greg Diemler is right up there, as well. Play smart.
soundmind
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:37:00 AM

woodland mound? if anyone cared about course conditions there, they would put in new bridgez b4 somone dies .also get rid of them cement basket circles and sum flat teez would be nice 2
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 10:36:53 AM

John, I'd hate to damage all those beautiful fields. ;)