Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Potential Fundraiser Meeting- Thursday 2/7 Options
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:05:57 PM

Rank: Veteran

Joined: 9/16/2003
Posts: 248

As briefly discussed at the December meeting-there is the potential for some rather considerable fundraising by working concessions at GABP during Cincinnati Reds games this year. It will require a large, collective time commitment-but it could really sweeten the pot for local tourneys-so that we're not just playing for each others' $$..as well as help to attract larger fields. There have already been numerous proposals for where this potential money should go (imagine that). 1st of all-we need to decide whether or not this is even feasible, as it would require a large commitment by several people.

I have arranged for a meeting with a representative from Sports Service (the company that handles GABP concessions) to answer any questions we may have and to further outline the process. If you are in any way interested in this, please plan on attending this meeting. I scheduled the most central public location that was not already booked (sorry eastsiders!):

Thursday February 7

North Central Library meeting room
http://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/branches/northcentral.html

6:30pm

Hope to see lots of folks there!

rufo0420
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:09:58 PM
Rank: Regular

Joined: 11/7/2007
Posts: 98
outstanding Ben!!!!!!!!!!!
I would be very interested in this venture!!
Combining the 2 best sports in town; who wouldn't be down?
Hope you come out to Banklick next weekend, would like to hear a little more on this!
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:51:37 PM

Rank: Extreme Veteran

Joined: 7/21/2003
Posts: 491
Location: West L.A.
Just a reminder for this meeting on Thursday, at the December meeting, we had about 25 people sign up who were interested, so let's see what we can do with this opportunity.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:22:59 PM

Rank: Expert

Joined: 5/22/2005
Posts: 1,223
Location: Nati
bump
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:36:13 PM

Rank: Elite Veteran

Joined: 8/10/2004
Posts: 449

If I cannot be present for the meeting, I just wanted to say that after much thought, I think the only fair way to use this $ would be on local courses, not for tournaments.


Ams will likely be the greatest contributors of their time and it would not be fair to distribute their efforts to the "pros" who just play in a tournament. This $ may continue to be raised in years to come if the ones who volunteer are content with the way the funds are utilized. The volunteers should also KNOW how the $ will be used BEFORE they volunteer so there are no subsequent bad feelings later.


Improving our courses will benefit all of us, and disc golf in our area more equally.

Search your feelings Luke - you know this to be true!!!

GStrick
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 8:45:34 AM

Rank: Veteran

Joined: 2/12/2007
Posts: 116
Location: Westside
Interesting.

The knights of the disc table came together and there it was. An idea spawned out of genius, cradled and protected. It appears that the first step of many has been taken. Do you think it will happen? This could bring much-needed funds to the club but just like everything else in our world it is not without pain, sweat and tears. I just hope there is enough wind to fill the sails and get this moving in the right direction. More word to come…I hope.

Brilliant
bobherb
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 10:47:27 AM

Rank: Elite Veteran

Joined: 8/10/2004
Posts: 449

I WILL help if I know where (and agree with) where the funds are going to be used.
I think it only fair that all who are interested in helping know how the funds will be used PRIOR to working.

Otherwise, those who volunteer could loose interest when they are "surprised" how the funds are distributed (and stop showing up).

2Timer
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 11:19:15 AM
Rank: Extreme Veteran

Joined: 3/30/2006
Posts: 372
Location: Ameila, Oh
Let's all say it together with Bob "If we all know where the funds are being used we may all participate because if we don't we may LOOSE interest". How about if the funds just go to course improvement, I think we all can agree on that because we wouldn't want any of those PROS who don't do anything for the sport, but come and take our money get a penny of the hard earned funds we volunteered for!
bobherb
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 11:44:26 AM

Rank: Elite Veteran

Joined: 8/10/2004
Posts: 449
Quote:
2Timer - 2/8/2008 2:19 PM

Let's all say it together with Bob "If we all know where the funds are being used we may all participate because if we don't we may LOOSE interest". How about if the funds just go to course improvement, I think we all can agree on that because we wouldn't want any of those PROS who don't do anything for the sport, but come and take our money get a penny of the hard earned funds we volunteered for!


Documented!
Liz
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 12:42:06 PM

Rank: Extreme Veteran

Joined: 7/21/2003
Posts: 491
Location: West L.A.
This is the main obstacle we are running into with this idea. How the money is distributed and who decides is something up for much debate. I can only imagine that it wouldn't be fair to dictate where the $ raised should be spent, if one hasn't been part of the group who helped generate this money. I don't know if it'll even work. We are looking at the potential for quite a bit of money here and I just don't know if 1. We'll have the man/woman-power to actually complete what is required. 2. We'll be able to finalize the details about the distribution of the $. So, we are left to ponder....:think
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 12:53:25 PM
Rank: Expert

Joined: 2/27/2003
Posts: 1,226
How many people showed up?
Liz
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 1:12:03 PM

Rank: Extreme Veteran

Joined: 7/21/2003
Posts: 491
Location: West L.A.
16
GStrick
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 4:09:00 PM

Rank: Veteran

Joined: 2/12/2007
Posts: 116
Location: Westside
Allotting all the money to course improvements is nice and it would benefit everyone. Noted. I also believe that giving money to different events should at least be entertained. The amazing thing is, there could be enough money to do both!!!

Personally, since I make Thursday bag tags most frequently, I would like to see some money there. But if money goes there, what about Wednesday league or ladies night. What about the CCS, Pig. I only play half of the above mentioned but will volunteer as much time as needed to make this thing work.

Difficult question to answer. I need a break, it was beer thirty about two hours ago right?

Have a good weekend, hope you get out Saturday to throw because Sunday it's a gonna be cold!!!!
T_Vincent
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 9:50:47 PM

Rank: Extreme Veteran

Joined: 10/25/2007
Posts: 305
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Just a few notes about the Thursday meeting from my point of view. I am basically saying what was discussed Thursday night and not what I think should be done with the money.

The discussion of where the money should go took up much of the time after the spokeswoman for the idea left. We went over many ideas, and the ones that were brought up more often are below. The details certainly need to be finalized, but this can give us a starting point from where we can be on the same page.

After hearing more about the program, the club could very easily pull this off. The biggest question on Liz's mind was getting the number of people to commit to a number of games. Which if we can narrow down where the $ is going, will make things easier.

Ideas that were made about what to do with the money...

1. Put it all in the general account and let the club do with it what it wants.

2. Let the person who works determine the usage of the money (Person must designate the whole amount from one night to one location). This would be the fairest, but would also be an accounting nightmare for Pete.

3. Set up between four and six locations for the money to go. Each person then chooses where they want to put the money.

4. Put the money in a second account. Designate a Board of Directors. Board members would have had to work a minimum number of games. If someone wanted to join the board without working said number of games, they would pay a predetermined amount to get in.

I am sure there are other good ideas, These are just the bigger ones we discussed. I may have modified them a bit, but you can get the idea of where they were heading.

Hope this helps bring some other people up to speed.

Let the games begin!!
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 8:45:48 AM

Rank: Expert

Joined: 5/22/2005
Posts: 1,223
Location: Nati
We must keep in mind that rightfully the only people who have any say in where the moneys go are those that do the time for this event.
Basically this project is very doable, and could generate a large amount of funds that can be used over the next few years.

I am probably one of the few that believe we need to slow down the initial urge that the club and its members need to pay for course improvements when by any right the Parks Departments should be takeing care of these issues. Thats what they pay their employees to do. Sure there will always be work to do and volunteers are the greatest asset we have. But we have walked the path of paying for so much that otherwise should be considered Park Dept. daily duties.
Yes, most of the courses that we as a club payed to get in place probably wouldn't be here if we hadn't, I'm just saying that as we grow and learn from our past I think we should try and focus the needs more towards the Parks than the club.
ciyas later
NEngle
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 12:50:50 PM

Rank: Elite Veteran

Joined: 11/18/2003
Posts: 944
Location: Fairfield, OH
I think it's best to come up with one specific place to direct the money. Something that we all can get behind & will have a great impact on disc golf in the Greater Cincinnati area. Maybe 2010 Worlds, or getting the EDGE program in as many local schools as possible.

I fear that, the more we break this up & encourage a sense of entitlement to those who volunteer, the more divisive it will become. If we had a single goal we'd also likely have a more unified & larger group of workers. We're talking about a very large sum of money ($7,000 - $10,000). I don't see much point in spending the time & effort to raise these funds if we're only going to use them to pump up a few local event for a year. If this is something we may want to consider for future years as well, it's important to find a worthy cause that will have a lasting impact.

After all, we're talking about a huge commitment of time & energy to be volunteered. Does it make sense to put ourselves through this only to have the monetary benefits be distributed through bigger player packs, payouts, lunches, or whatever at a few local tournaments this year? I don't think it does. I think we'd all feel better about doing this if it really did something special.
2Timer
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 1:09:55 AM
Rank: Extreme Veteran

Joined: 3/30/2006
Posts: 372
Location: Ameila, Oh
Nicks post may be the best I have ever read on this message board! What a great idea, doing something positive with it like the EDGE program!
NEngle
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:27:22 AM

Rank: Elite Veteran

Joined: 11/18/2003
Posts: 944
Location: Fairfield, OH
When you think about it, we're volunteering to do someone's job. If we don't volunteer Sport Service will hire employees to do it. The pay rate isn't great individually. For the most part it will work out to about $10 an hour (less for group leaders). If we go with the "everyone gets to say where their compensation goes" it's like working a second job & donating your earnings to an event or cause. I don't know about most of you, but I can make a whole lot more working a few hours of overtime at my real job, and I don't have to lose money by taking time off. I think the whole point of this to come together and collectively earn money for something worth while. Of course this is just my opinion.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 11:47:34 AM

Rank: Elite Veteran

Joined: 8/10/2004
Posts: 449
COPY, PASTE and ADD to this List:


1. 2010 Worlds
2. EDGE Program
3. Course Improvements



I agree, it WOULD be easiest and straightforward if all interested volunteers could know up front, how their efforts were to be directed.
The less # of directions the better?
Ben Shooner
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:45:38 PM

Rank: Veteran

Joined: 9/16/2003
Posts: 248

This topic was further discussed at the last club meeting and there were mixed feelings and ideas about it. It all boils down to the fact that this is a potentially large amount of money-as well as a large amount of time and energy. Maybe we can gain enough interest to pull it off-maybe not. Maybe we could do it this year-maybe we should try again next year. Maybe there are other potential fundraisers out there that will be more worthwhile and suitable to our situation.

This is just an idea, and even if we don't end up participating, I still think it has been a worthwhile exercise. Exploring any potential fundraising options is ALWAYS a good idea.

That being said, we decided that we would solicit volunteers for this year, just to see if it would even be an option. To tell you the truth-the interest so far has been encouraging, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we'll be able to garner the amount of volunteer hours that would be necessary. Still-we thought we'd give it a go and see what happens.

So in a nutshell, here is what we'd need to pull this off:

-Staff a 6-person concession booth for 12 games

-This includes a group leader who will be responsible for that shift

-All workers will be required to attend ONE training session to be certified before they work. These sessions will be held at GABP from 6pm-11pm on the following days: 2/26, 2/27, 3/4, 3/11, 3/12, 3/18, 3/19, 3/25, 3/26, 4/15, 4/29, 5/20, 6/24, 7/8, 8/12; From 9am-2pm on 3/8, and from 2pm-7pm on 3/15.

-Each shift will require a group leader as well. They will need to attend another training session in addition to the standard training. These will be held from 6pm-10pm on 4/16, 5/21, 6/25, 7/15, 8/20 as well as 9am-1pm and 2pm-6pm on 3/22. All training sessions have a limited number of openings, and fill on a 1st come-1st served basis.

-The stand must be operational 2 hours before the first pitch. After the game is over, it takes about an hour to clean up. It works out to about a 6-7 hour shift.

-The group leader must be there 3.5 hours before first pitch. Their typical shift is 8-9 hours.

-Parking is not provided

-Compensation is $65 per worker/per shift, or 10% of gross sales-whichever is higher.

-If we are short a worker, and we need to 'borrow' one from another group-our group will be charged $65.

-If we commit to this and end up quitting before our alotted games have been played, we will not be allowed to do this another season.

So that is the basic drill. You'll see the times of each game on the attached spreadsheet, but for a typical weekday game you'd need to get there at about 4pm and work until about 11 or 12 that night. As you can see, it's a healthy chunk of time-especially when the training is factored in-we're not paid anything for the training.

If we are to do this, any commitments will need to be more or less set in stone. It is much worse to commit and then not show up or be able to do it than it is to not commit at all. So if you're really thinking 'maybe' please do not sign up. The last thing I want is for people to make unrealistic commitments. The result would be a ton of headaches administratively and not much to show for it. So please-be realistic! We all have lives that include jobs, family, and other commitments..not to mention disc golf. No one should feel 'guilted' into this. It is entirely voluntary.

We also found in the meetings that everyone had plenty of opinions on how to spend this money (that we're very far from having). While we disagreed on plenty, we did agree that if we are to host the 2010 PDGA Worlds-we will definitely need to raise some serious funds. This drew the most approval given that it is a singular goal that we'll need money for anyway. So in the spirit of '1st things 1st', we will devote any concession money earned  this year to a fund for the 2010 Worlds. Please also consider this when deciding whether or not you'd like to volunteer.

Here is a spreadsheet with time slots for leaders, workers, and alternates for 20 proposed games (we'd need to fill 12 games). Remember, we're seeing if this is feasible, if we cannot fill our 12 games, we will not have a both this year and move on (maybe do it next year). If you would like to sign up, please email me (bshooner@mrsi.com) with your preferred slot, and I'll update and re-post the sheet. (actually, I'm having trouble posting the sheet itself-so it will be on a subsequent post-sorry!)

In closing, I appreciate the energy and ideas I've seen so far. Even if we can't swing this-I am very confident that we have the energy to raise funds one way or another. As mentioned, it's always good to be on the lookout. Thanks guys!

 

 

 



 

File Attachment(s):
Reds_Games.xls (17kb) downloaded 13 time(s).


NEngle
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:54:38 PM

Rank: Elite Veteran

Joined: 11/18/2003
Posts: 944
Location: Fairfield, OH
Ben, only moderators can post attachments. Have your wife do it or e-mail it to me & I'll put it up.

Thanks for spearheading this massive undertaking. I think we're moving in the right direction!
Liz
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2008 12:13:31 PM

Rank: Extreme Veteran

Joined: 7/21/2003
Posts: 491
Location: West L.A.
Attachment - done.
andersab
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:00:06 AM

Rank: Elite Veteran

Joined: 5/22/2006
Posts: 692
Location: in the chains
^^^ BUMP ^^^
mikekem
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 8:25:21 AM

Rank: Extreme Veteran

Joined: 2/16/2008
Posts: 400
Location: Lebanon
^^^ bump ^^^ I just got the proposed schedule spreadsheet attachment back up.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 7:07:31 PM
Rank: Veteran

Joined: 8/3/2007
Posts: 138
Location: Hebron,KY
Did you get enough response for us to go forward with the training?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

YAFPro Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.7 running under DotNetNuke.
Copyright © 2003-2006 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.