Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Anderson Frisbee Golf Course - W.M. Johnson Park Options
mikejenkins1
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 11:18:27 AM

FYI, I sent an email to the parks board about the Anderson Golf course and here is the response.

Hi, Thanks for your interest in the Anderson Township Park District. I'm not sure how much you know about W. M. Johnson Hills Park, so forgive me if I tell you something you already know. We don't currently have a frisbee golf course at Johnson. We opened W.M. Johnson Hills Park to the public in the fall of 2007 in a very minimal way. The only current recreational opportunity that exists is a hiking trail through a portion of the property. The horse operation continues to function there, also. We don't forsee much changing in the near future, as we've no money or plans with which to move forward. Check out our website to stay up to date with Johnson Hills Park, or feel free to contact me with questions. Thanks again for your interest! ~Emily Armstrong, Assistant Director
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:11:42 PM

So, the club's got money. Let's put another championship/professional course there.
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:48:58 PM

Should we just send them a blank check? Pete - is it in the mail? I would think that we would need some type of commitment (monetarily) from them. Anyone else think I'm way off here?
13ruce-137
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:59:15 PM

Hey if your giving it away .. i have no money and no plan as well .. just a thought
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 3:45:03 PM

Liz, first you get permission to put the disc golf course in. Then you solicit potential sponsors for baskets and tee signs then you design a professional course. Then you get club members to clear fairways, install tee's, tee signs and baskets. Viola, you've got a disc golf course. Any other expenses can be covered by the club.
I don't know why you want to try to raise more money when you don't spend the money you have in the bank now. It craziness. Haven't you looked outside, IT'S RAINING!!!!
soundmind
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:26:16 PM

itz a great idea ,and close enough to me to help with. if yallz get it rollin and ill bring my toolz.
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:34:44 PM

I've been talking, meeting, and all-around pestering the Anderson Parks Directors for years about a possible course at Johnson Park. I've walked the land with their planning director and for several years they have been saying they don't have the money for the park- but that's not the end of it. The key for the park is that they aren't going to allow any large scale use of the park until they develop some infrastructure (paved road, parking lot, and bathrooms). They had been very close to clearing fairways a few years ago, before they ran into the money pit at Beech Acres.

I've met with the new Park Director (the old one resigned last year) and he's on board with hoping for a disc golf course, but there are lots of hoops they have to jump through before it can happen.

Believe me, I'm not going away in regard to this course. I've volunteered the labor to them to make it happen. I'll stay on their case until we get it in. Money shouldn't be a problem - they've spent over $200,000 on skaters at Beech Acres.

It's not a matter of club money. Just of the Parks being ready to open the park. There are a lot of very nice homes surrounding the park and that's an issue - they don't want any 'active' recreation, what-so-ever there. The horse barn/boarding is not willing to leave, easily. That will have to happen before the championship course I have in mind can be installed.

Patience....... by the way - Emily Armstrong, the Assistant Director, is my sister, so you know she can play some decent disc golf.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:13:57 AM

Very interesting to hear all this (and promising). Hope that something does come about of this park. FYI, I was very impressed with Emily's response and appreciate the information.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:47:38 AM

Quote:
Fred Salaz - 2/5/2008 6:45 PMLiz, first you get permission to put the disc golf course in. Then you solicit potential sponsors for baskets and tee signs then you design a professional course. Then you get club members to clear fairways, install tee's, tee signs and baskets. Viola, you've got a disc golf course. Any other expenses can be covered by the club.I don't know why you want to try to raise more money when you don't spend the money you have in the bank now. It craziness. Haven't you looked outside, IT'S RAINING!!!!

LOL, that's funny Fred we are saving it for a hurricane though. I am there with you Pete on any labor I can provide. I see this taking a couple of years at least even to get started but the property is quite nice from what I have seen.
PaulDmt
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:24:59 AM

Quote:
Fred Salaz - 2/5/2008 5:45 PM

Liz, first you get permission to put the disc golf course in. Then you solicit potential sponsors for baskets and tee signs then you design a professional course. Then you get club members to clear fairways, install tee's, tee signs and baskets. Viola, you've got a disc golf course. Any other expenses can be covered by the club.
I don't know why you want to try to raise more money when you don't spend the money you have in the bank now. It craziness. Haven't you looked outside, IT'S RAINING!!!!

Liz, Here's what's happened what some of our new northernly courses. A group of us discuss the idea of a disc golf course in a suitable park. If the parks agrees, we submit a draft of what the course layout would be. We work with the parks so both sides are satisfied with the design. We aid in marking trees to keep, what should go, etc. The park department with it's considerable resources brings in a bobcat or other equipment and has this done in a matter of days weeks at the worst (weather permitting). We explain what the tee size should be and other specifics. They form them and pour concrete. As a bonus both the parks and our members can solicit course sponsors at any time.

Course club members could instead spend months and years working on a course ourselves to get it playable. I recall the fun of hopping fences trekking to a location, possible injury, coming home muddy and tired. I guess there's some satisfaction in doing that. I'd rather get to play the course though.