Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Gulley Upgrades (Cement Tees) Options
DanH
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 3:43:54 AM

Sounds like there is a lot of interest in cement pads at Gulley. From the beginning, the Parks Director and Board were favorable to the idea of cement tees. At the time, it was just a matter of budget from their perspective since they were already paying for baskets, signs, and culverts. Also we wanted to see how the course played before we made things permanent.

So, first of all I should mention that Matt Blakely, Mike Kemner, and I have come up with a plan for about 6 longer tees. They are not going to drastically change the course. It will add about 250 ft to the course length, and that is really all the extra distance we can squeeze out of that land. Some alternate pins are an option down the road, but first I want to concentrate on tees.

I think we will have enough expertise and volunteers to do the job (Fred sounds ready to go!).  But I want to come up with a more "concrete" plan before I go to the Park Board.  They may be willing to help, so I need to know what it's going to take.

Do we need to do the crushed rock subgrade?  Do we need special equipment to level the ground, build the frames, etc?  How much is everything going to cost, and is the club willing to pay?  I know nothing about installing tees, so please help me out here.

AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:43:12 AM

I may be able to explain step by step how concrete work Should be done.
Give me a shout sometime and I'll walk ya through it.
Craig
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:48:26 AM

Which holes were you guys thinking of extending. Also I think a tee pad would make hole #5 play a stroke easier. Last time I played there (month or two ago) #5 was the only really bad tee. Then #12 (elevated basket hole?) was not to pleseant either. And #2 was soggy but still grass.

DanH
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:51:15 AM

That would be great Adam.
DanH
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:57:41 AM

1. Two permanent tees. Long tee from across the road. +100 ft.
3. Tee moved back 50 ft about even with 2’s pin.
4. Tee moved back 50 ft about even with 3’s pin.
7. Tee moved back and up 15 - 20 ft.
10. Tee moved back and right about 20 ft. Puts the tree into play, and forces a righty to turnover/sidearm.
12. Tee moved back 15 ft. We’ll have to clear some small trees to do this.

Check out the pink lines on this picture to see what we're talking about.

Matt's got a couple of addtional things to do for Pro tees at the tournament, but they wouldn't be suitable for permanent changes.

frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:42:17 AM

#1 and #12 look most intriguing.
STEVO
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:54:58 AM

What about putting 10's basket down in the pit, right behind its current placement? I mentioned this to Matt.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 12:17:16 PM

We are only worrying about tee's for now. Maybe later this year or next year we will look into collars and pin placements.
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 11:05:44 AM

Those look like good changes but, I wonder if the long pad on hole one needs to be so far back from the road. This park may not be packed all the time though I recall while we were practicing for the 2007 Gulley Open soccer fan vans occluded the first tee. Also, think about what the traffic will be like in ten years. Is it possible that cars could be hit by some rec players shooting from the longs?
bobherb
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 11:09:02 AM

1. Is the land available to make #'s 16 and 17 longer.
It appears, on the map at least, that #16 could be lengthened (to the northeast) and, in turn, #17 could start farther back as well. There seems to be plenty of large trees and enough land to make both holes decent par 4's with sufficient safety buffer between them.
Got saw, will travel.

2. Here is some light reading referring to 4" concrete construction for driveways/tee pads:

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/concrete_driveways/

...Look near the middle, about 3 inched down and click on the subjects under
"Concrete Driveway Construction Basics:"

AdamJ
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 1:05:04 PM

Here's a site with a calculator to help figure how many yards ya need.
http://www.concrete.com/calculatorsmaterials.htm
5'x12'x3.5" slab is .64815 yards
btw, Most companies will sell by the yard.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 4:57:59 PM

Good job on the math Adam...

(to get)
(in feet)
3.5"/12" X 5' X 12' = 17.5 (cubic feet) divided by 27 (cubic feet in a cubic yd.) = .648 cubic yd.
13ruce-137
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:31:28 AM

10 cubic yards is a full load of concrete? sound about right .. what about 3 inch high pads ? that way only one trip from concrete folks? 90 to 95 dollars a cubic foot is about the going rate <br />
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:29:52 AM

Quote:
finnhawc - 2/11/2008 2:05 PM

Those look like good changes but, I wonder if the long pad on hole one needs to be so far back from the road. This park may not be packed all the time though I recall while we were practicing for the 2007 Gulley Open soccer fan vans occluded the first tee. Also, think about what the traffic will be like in ten years. Is it possible that cars could be hit by some rec players shooting from the longs?

You are right, that long tee will not work when the park is crowded or when someone is using the shelter, and their party overflows onto the long tee. That is why we need to have a short tee as well. The long tee is still going to be far enough away from the shelter that it should be ok most of the time though.
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 2:42:29 AM

Quote:
bobherb - 2/11/2008 2:09 PM

1. Is the land available to make #'s 16 and 17 longer.
It appears, on the map at least, that #16 could be lengthened (to the northeast) and, in turn, #17 could start farther back as well. There seems to be plenty of large trees and enough land to make both holes decent par 4's with sufficient safety buffer between them.
Got saw, will travel.

Par 4's in the woods would be very cool, but it would be tough to pull off because:
1. That entire area is a swamp.
2. We'd have to reroute the hiking trail (again).
3. The poison ivy is so bad that I had to spray 20 gallons ($100) of herbicide just to clear a decent fairway last year. And I'm probably going to have to do it again this spring.
4. The trees are very dense. We made them as long as we could without cutting anything big down.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:08:23 AM

Thanks for responding and explaining DanH.
I could only assume there was a reason for not using that land.
Poor drainage, poison ivy, and probably seasonal mosquitos does justify not using the seemingly nice (on paper) land.
Craig
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:59:47 PM

For hole #1 maybe get a bench or a reader board (for DG) and get them installed in the way of cars trying to park in the grass.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:11:11 PM

The bench is a great idea
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:33:55 AM

Ya know last year was a really bad year for poison ivy in MANY places. Not really sure why but hopefully this year is not as bad.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:52:01 AM

So will this work for Gulley be done before the Spring time or is it slated for later this year?
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:14:05 AM

I have a contact with the boy scouts that asked if we have any work to do that they would be able to help with.
Like building bridges or benches or helpin with pouring the tee's,or course cleanup.
They are required to commit alot of hours for community service and this is a great chance for them.
I hope to use their man power at Airy.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:58:11 PM

Here is some good info for poison Ivy control...
Also, talk to the park folks before applying chemicals - they may give you some chemicals and a little training:

Herbicide Controls

There are several herbicides which are effective in the control of poison ivy. They can be found in premixed or easily used formulations at local home and garden centers, and in garden centers at many local hardware and department stores. If a large quantity of any of these chemicals is required, contact your local County Extension office for the location of a local commercial chemical distributor.

There are numerous company and store brand names for the chemicals which effectively control poison ivy. The different brand names found will use one or more of the chemicals described in this publication. The major difference among the brands will be the amount of the active ingredient found in the product. The label on each product will list the name of the active ingredient and its concentration. If the chemical concentration in the product is sufficient to control poison ivy, it will be stated on the label. Always confirm, by reading the label, that any chemical you buy will control your specific pest.

If the label does not list the pest you want to control, find a chemical which does list your pest. Do not use a chemical to control a pest which is not listed on the label.

Several commonly used active ingredients effective in poison ivy control are:

Glyphosate The product is sold under the trade names of Roundup, Roundup concentrate and Kleenup. It is applied to the foliage of poison ivy but is translocated throughout the plant, including the roots. Glyphosate has no soil activity. It will kill or injure all plants contacted by the spray, including grasses. Applications near the foliage of desirable ornamentals should be made with extreme caution. Glyphosate should not be applied when rain is expected within six hours of application because its effectiveness will be reduced. After treatment, the vegetation should not be disturbed for several days. Remember, dead poison ivy still contains poisonous oils and should be handled with care if the soil in a treated area is to be worked. When glyphosate is the active ingredient listed on the label it is identified as Isopropylamine salt of glyphosate.

Amitrole Amitrole is sold under the trade names of Amitrol-T, and Weedazol. It is applied to the foliage and is translocated throughout the plant. It is nonselective, therefore it will kill or injure any plants to which it is applied. It also remains active in the soil for several weeks after application, therefore it is important not to use it near other desirable plants. The soil activity also prevents the planting of new vegetation for several weeks.

And,
The rest of the story can be read at:

http://forestry.msu.edu/extension/ExtDocs/posioniv.htm
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:24:14 PM

Roundup is wickedly good. Used it in an area behind my house back 15 yrs ago to kill lots of poison xxx stuff. It worked really well and those weeds never came back. But extreme care when using it. I covered up in full long sleves, long pants and a mask just in case (was in mid summer and very hot!)
mikejenkins1
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:40:34 AM

Any updates on the pads and cleanup here? We are getting anxious to play there again. Just waiting for the weather to clear up a bit.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 3:07:40 PM

Bump. Just wanted to know if there has been any work done on this park this year or will there be and what?
Tried to play this past weekend but could not make it. Hope to be back soon.