Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Is Idlewild open now? Options
Oz
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:47:16 AM

Hiya...want to play Idlewild tomorrow/Sunday. Is it open again?
T_Vincent
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 9:58:53 AM

Yes It is now open. A number of people will be there at noon Sat.
LStephens
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 10:12:37 AM

It may be a big number. I'm bringing three people. So you guys and gals get up...drink some coffee..and come get your duck on at Idlewild.
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 10:51:16 AM

What the duck you talkin' about Lee?
LStephens
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:23:22 PM

I seen you smiling and throwing today...you know what getting your duck on is all about. Park the drive and waddle out of the teebox into the mud on the side. Can't wait for this weather to break...warm up..and dry out. Anyone missing the 2007 drought yet?
finnhawc
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 7:12:27 PM

Ask Atlanta that question, sir. It was real nice in the sunshine. :)
soundmind
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:35:18 PM

so whatz up with out of bounds on 12 inch slabs of concrete ? the drop after the slabs, or out side line of slab into creek area is the o.b? are the slabs themselves up top of creek o.b? and if so who made that dumb rule. i like the slabs 4 lookz and erosion but you would think the outside line of concrete into creek drop would be o.b . 2 many rules, i like disc is dry disc is safe.
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:33:25 PM

PDGA Applicable rules

Since 803.09 A states that the “line itself is out-of-bounds: the disc is marked where it was last over in-bounds provided: that the TD has not restricted the OB options on that hole AND that the thrower does not elect to re-tee (with a penalty throw) per 803.09 B.
Unless the O.B. line is declared as the edge of the slab or railroad tie which could be done by the TD. I know, it is a painful rule at Idlewild.

Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:34:51 PM

Hmm, the OB has to be defined somehow whether you like it or not. The concrete cores you are talking about serve a couple of purposes. One they are the OB line and two they add to the beauty of the hole. Since the OB line itself is OB that would make the entire core OB and since the creek is at different stages at different tournaments then it is only fair to play the same OB for all tournaments and everyday play. We don't make the rules we just try to abide by them as best as possible.

If you guys happen to see a core in the creek that someone has used to retreive a disc, I would appreciate it if you would put it back in its place until I can concrete them all in solid. Thanks in advance.
soundmind
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 6:41:37 PM

yeah i just figged the line would be outside edge facing creek not inside edge still up top, but they do look good and will help erosion.
andersab
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 9:08:54 PM

So based on the rules, does that mean...

A - the cores are the "line" and they are OB
B - anything between the cores (the line is actually where the cores and lower land meet, like the creek) is OB
C - it is the discretion of the TD and both A and B could be the ruling dependent upon that
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 9:45:02 PM

It would be nice if they were not OB and just defined a OB line at creek side. Just wishful thinkn
soundmind
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 10:29:25 PM

yeah itz a bit silly, when your still above creek and out of bounds .i dont mind being out of bounds on dry land inside the creek area that makes sence.
berto
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2008 11:18:45 PM

yeah I would agree with adam and soundmind..... So If the inside edge is the line, Then your saying if it went over the creek and hit a branch and ended up coming back ob into the creek..... the three meters would be from the inside edge too? The outside edge of those cores seems like a more appropriate line ..... Either it stayed up and on or it's in the damn creek..... no two ways about that......... no argument..... Just think what people from out of town will think about that ruling.... I think that it would create more dispute than necessary.... Is it ob if part of it is on the ground and on the cores? ........Just my take on it..... I don't mean any disrespect to fred or fin or anyone..... but that just seems to harsh even for a harsh mistress of a coarse that Idlewilde is by design ... keep it simple..........it makes perfect sense
Kool Keith
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 8:33:19 AM

Brad's scenario's are completely correct.

We have been working hard to permanently mark the OB at Idlewild with concrete cores, steep banking, and railroad ties. It's a tiring job, and there's a lot of it left to do.

Those that have been out there recently have seen some of the railroad ties and cores that have gone up around the creek on 16. Also, down the creek at 11. When this project is completed, everyone will be playing the same layout everytime - there's a lot of "grey area" when it comes to determining OB or not around those creeks.

While I don't always agree with where the OB is marked (11), I do see the need for consistency on the course. When we are finished, I think most people will enjoy the walls/cores/lines that we have created. It's just frustrating when your disc is in one of those grey area's right now and you are ruled OB.

If anyone wants to help us complete this project and fast track the lines, please feel free to contact me, Fred, or Kevin B.
Rob J
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 11:54:34 PM

soundmind wrote:
yeah itz a bit silly, when your still above creek and out of bounds .i dont mind being out of bounds on dry land inside the creek area that makes sence.

food for thought:

when considering Idlewild, remember that it is designed for 1000-rated players, not your average disc golfer.
a 1000 rated pro isn't going to miss many putts if they are on the green of hole 3, 15, etc.  even some of the putts
from the *far* side of the creek aren't that tough if you are 1000 rated (think David Cox).  the entire width of the concrete
core walls is designated OB because Fred wants a challenge if he fails to execute a good approach shot -- not an
easy putt even though the approach shot didn't get onto the green.  why reward poor play?

consider the yellow-rope-OB USDGC course and then see if you still feel Idlewild's OB is too restrictive for
gold-level players ...
andersab
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 9:44:51 AM

Once again... its up to the TD of that specific tourney. I don't mind playing the cores OB line... on crappy days, that makes me have a bunch of poor shots. Plus, how many discs will just hang on top of the cores anyways? I would say more times than not, the disc will end up in the creek or touching grass (in bounds).
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 11:10:35 AM

Right, in tournament play, OB must be designated by the TD. For non-tournament play, OB is normally based on the way the course was designed to be played -- which is usually conveyed by the tee sign. Those of us who aren't 1000 rated players (me) should bear in mind that when we play Idlewild it is like a little leaguer going to a Major League ballpark -- the bases may be so far apart and the home run fence so far away that it just doesn't seem fair unless you like a major challenge... :)

On that note I *once* had a long approach to 16 long's green land on the concrete cores and position itself on top of the cores with none of the disc hanging over to either side. it didn't seem fair ;-) that the disc didn't scoot IB and instead ended up surrounded by OB.

Of course if they choose to, people can disregard the core walls and play Idlewild where a disc must be surrounded by water to be OB. I wish they would do that instead of doing immature things like throwing red stakes into the woods...

by the way Brad et al, thanks for the rockin website thumbsup
agentdozzer
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:47:54 PM

went out there today and the signs say the course is still closed, since i read on this site it was open i played it. Shot a 88 it was my first time playing there all par threes and my score made me feel like i was horrible, but after seeing the average on the course page i feel i could shave off 8 strokes and make it down to "pro level"