Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Disc 'n Dat Bluegrass Open Options
Liz
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:44:52 AM

The "shorts" is mainly one tee to the short basket - with a couple exceptions - Hole #3 and Hole #14 have different tees for the longs. The other holes affected are #2, #13, #16, which all use the same tee as the shorts but go to longer baskets.
Bryan
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:25:31 AM

Hey Dan, what's the price on the CFR discs? $25? $30?
DOC65
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:56:47 AM

Looks like I'll be landing at CVG around 10:00 on Sunday. Anyone up for a couple of rounds to show me around the courses? Looking at the weather predictions it doesn't look like the best day for it though. But I'll bring my rain gear just in case. :-)
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 11:38:38 AM

Are you aware 2 rounds can consume about 7 hours?
I would like to play but cannot Sunday.
DOC65
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:11:33 PM

Nope wasn't aware of that. So what time is it getting dark up there these days? We have daylight till after 7:30 or so down here. So I hit the first course, Idlewild by 11:30 and then Banklick after I should be getting done about 7:00'ish right? Any daylight left then?

Also, what is going on up there during the evenings? I'll be in Milford Oh but should be able to get out early enough to make a mini or two. What about up at Mt Airy, anything going on up there?

Bottom line I'll be open for any DG I can get in while I'm there for 2 weeks. :-)
Oh, and how wet do the courses get? Should I pack some sealskins or will low top gortex shoes be ok?
discndat
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:42:13 PM

You can get a round in at Idlewild and a round at Banklick by dark. It's getting dark around 8 I think here. I would come prepared for good weather and bad. This time of year you don't know what you're going to get. They are even calling for possibility of snow early next week I was just told. But who knows. Anyway look forward to seeing you up here. Tuesdays is the Ace Fund at Idlewild - starts at 6 I think. Wednesday Doubles at Banklick - starts at 6. Thursday Bag Tags at Mt. Airy - starts at 6. Not sure if anythings going on Fridays as of yet. Sometimes it is at Harbin.
discndat
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:48:12 PM

Lots of entries are rolling in now. Amateurs may want to get their entries in before it fills up. Also, for any ams that sign up by Sunday I can get the shirt size you request  - after that you get what we have. So if you have signed up in an Amateur division and haven't given us your shirt size, do so asap. And if you haven't signed up yet - ditto.

The spots for the tournament are up and running on Rock 96 (96.5 on FM) and sound pretty good. Really nice to hear stuff about disc golf on the radio. Anybody out there hear them yet? Let us know what you think. There are several running every day.
andersab
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:39:51 PM

I've heard them. Sound really good with different tones and stuff in the message. Good plug for the PDGA also
ChrisWoj
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:12:56 PM

Liz wrote:
The "shorts" is mainly one tee to the short basket - with a couple exceptions - Hole #3 and Hole #14 have different tees for the longs. The other holes affected are #2, #13, #16, which all use the same tee as the shorts but go to longer baskets.

So let me make sure I have this straight...

Hole 2 - short tee to long basket
Hole 3 - short tee to usual basket
Hole 13 - short tee to long basket
Hole 14 - short tee to usual basket
Hole 16 - short tee to long basket

All other holes have just one basket and one teepad?

That right?
Ben Shooner
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:27:42 PM

Pretty much. Holes 2, 13, and 16 have one pad but 2 pin placements. Holes 3 and 14 have 2 pads, but one pin placement.

Holes 3 and 8 have multiple sleeves but only one basket at any given time. Clear as mud?
discndat
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:39:16 PM

Chris - All the Ams will be playing short tees and short placements. Juniors will play shortened tees on some holes.
discndat
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 5:46:46 PM

Brad - yes, it seems like they have a few different ones. I thought they did a pretty good job. Keep listening everybody and let us know what you think. Also, you might be in line to win some discs.
ChrisWoj
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:35:50 PM

Ben Shooner wrote:
Pretty much. Holes 2, 13, and 16 have one pad but 2 pin placements. Holes 3 and 14 have 2 pads, but one pin placement. Holes 3 and 8 have multiple sleeves but only one basket at any given time. Clear as mud?

The muddiest of mud. laugh

Thanks very much for all of the clarification! Sorry if I'm being difficult, we'll be in town on Friday late morning to play both courses just wanted to make sure I knew what to practice. Just happy hole 15 has only one tee/placement. I like 1000 foot holes. *grin*
ChrisWoj
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 10:38:54 PM

Pat Burke, Jamie Whitehead, and myself are looking for a place to say. Gaehl just found out he can't be in town so we're kind of last minute right now. We're broke college dudes, just looking for somewhere to crash out Friday night and Saturday night. If you have space, contact me via PM here or via phone at 419 356 4448.

Thanks much!

-Chris.
discndat
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:00:42 PM

www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php = Current Registration List.

FYI - The BGO has been selected as a Senior Foundation Event, which The Senior Foundation has added $800  (on top of BGO added $)  to the Pro Grandmasters and the Pro Senior Grandmasters divisions if there are a minimum of 4 entered in the division. Currently, only the Pro Senior Grandmasters division has 4, so all the $800 would go to that division. Just thought some of the Pro Grandmasters might like to know that.

Can anyone tell me who has two of the scoreboards? I have one of them. Let me know asap. Thanks.
discndat
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 8:45:50 AM

If anyone talks to Hans have him contact me. He's not coming up as a current PDGA member. Need to get him current for the BGO.
LStephens
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 11:21:25 AM

Dan,

I tried to look on here and find the information...but maybe I'm blind. When the AMs play Banklick...are we playing uppers or lowers? I assume we are playing the short tees on the few holes as well? Could you give us a hole by hole run down of what we will be playing on the holes that have alternate tees..and will we be moving any baskets?...like #1?
andersab
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 11:25:40 AM

I hope that 1 stays in the long placement, its a lot more fun there :-)
LStephens
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 11:33:10 AM

I like it in the placement it is in now too...however...you are raining down on people trying to putt on #9. I don't want to miss my 20ft bird on #9 because you had two extra McGriddles and feeling all frisky and bombed the winnie the poo outta your drive. Yea, I said it...McGriddle and poo in the same sentence. Also, the footing around the basket is awkward..and we have a forecast of rain for this weekend. I guess the main reason is..when I forehand on #1..I land in the mulch of the short placement quite often.
andersab
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 12:06:59 PM

stop forehanding number 1, duh

2 extra McGriddles, you know I can usually just consume one... Dan can get down two though I am sure
discndat
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 12:14:20 PM

I don't have the time to do a hole by hole right now. I'll see if I can't get it a little later. We've got a handout for the tournament but I don't think I have it saved on my computer. Jeff has it. You guys should have played Banklick enough not to let a change here or there effect your play. I'll see what I can do.
DanH
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 6:01:38 PM

The rule is one McGriddle per day. Although they almost guarantee a good disc golf round, they are actually really gross. But your stomach won't figure that out as long as you don't try to put a 2nd one in there at the same time.
discndat
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 6:45:52 PM

Have to disagree Dan - those McGriddles are tasty!! Again, Ams should get their signups in asap. Not sure if it will fill before Friday but it could. And remember, there are NO SATURDAY SIGNUPS. Lots of calls and e-mails are coming about the tourney - usual last week before the tourney stuff. So, I wouldn't procrastinate if I were you. And for you Pros, it would also help if you signed up before Friday also. Like to try and get as much done ahead of time as possble. I'm still working on some sponsorship and have been working with Phenix Quad Shocks and it looks like they are coming through.  Anyone out there who wants to sponsor a hole let me know. We'll set you up real nice! Also, if you have any discs you'd like to donate for the tourney we can use those for prizes too, either for the am prizes or the Ring of Fire, which is going to be BIG this year!! I'm getting pumped. Let's make it a great Bluegrass.
Rob J
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2008 10:33:08 PM

Hi Dan, i am in the process of renewing -- will enter as soon as i can.

here is an overdue clarification of the 'building a lie' rule which may be helpful this weekend -- updated recently on the PDGA Rules Q & A -- sanity has seized the day and you can place a towel under your knee :)

Rule Question: Kneeling on a towel

Question:  A player’s shot lands in a spot that has very hard, rocky ground. Can she place a towel or pad down in order to prevent abrasions to her body (or to keep her knee/clothes clean and/or dry)?

Important Note: Previously we had ruled that this was not permitted. This opinion reverses that ruling.

Response Applicable Rules: 802.04 Artificial Devices 803.05 (Obstacles and Relief) C 803.04 (Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off) A.1 802.04 allows the use of items that reduce or control abrasion. Towels or pads may fulfill this purpose. Assuming that the unsafe items on the playing surface are not subject to removal or relief under PDGA rule 803.05.C (which covers relief from obstacles to one's stance), she is allowed to place a towel or small pad under any body part, with the exception of her feet (which should already be covered by protective devices such as shoes). Note: She may move items under 803.05 C and also use a towel or small pad under her knee. A "small pad" is defined as being 1 centimeter or less in thickness, when compressed.

Conclusion
: One may use a towel or small pad (with a maximum compressed thickness of 1 centimeter) in order to prevent harm/abrasions to the body during competitive play. A towel or pad may be used under one's foot only on the tee box.

The PDGA Rules Committee

Carlton Howard, Chair
John Chapman
Conrad Damon
Harold Duvall
Joe Garcia
Jim Garnett
Rick Voakes

see: http://www.pdga.com/rules/qa.php
osu_buckeyes
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:44:25 AM

Hey Dan,

I just registered but forgot to add my t-shirt information. If I could get an adult small that would be awesome.

Thanks,
-Dave Hollingshead