Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Winton Woods Options
Dellahyam
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 10:22:40 AM

So I played WW on thursday and the course is a mess. They cut down trees and machines have been drivin through the course. ANyone know whats going on?
LStephens
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2008 10:27:30 AM

I was out there a few weeks ago and noticed this. Seems like they cut out some dead trees for safety...and clean out a bunch of honeysuckle bushes. The bobcats did leave some ruts but when the course dries out...it should be fine. In a few weeks when the leaves hit the trees it will most likely sprout out and look the same. I couldn't believe the amount cut when I first saw it...but it will most likely grow back pretty good.
greenhills
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 2:02:21 PM

I was at Winton Woods last night and I thought they cut way too much down, especially on the back 9. They really butchered holes 13-16. Maybe it will grow back some, but it really looks bad right now
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 2:37:36 PM

did a few hours there today from 8ish to 12ish .. ya its pretty bad .. looks like monroe when they first put it in .. but its drying up nicely and most of what they removed was honeysuckle so im sure it will be back
greenhills
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:54:09 AM

Winton Woods has been packed the last couple of weeks. I think the park should seriously consider opening a refreshment center, a few pop machines at least. I also think the heavy usage would justify the need to put an additional course in. Has the GCFDA had any contact with the park district about WW in the last couple of years?
edge
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 9:37:39 AM

I agree, there is so much available space at Winton Woods to build a new course. It can easily be justified by the heavy usage of the current course. Last Sunday, there must have been hundreds of people that played there.
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:26:33 AM

Anyone can contact the park: here is the info I just pulled off of www.hamiltoncountyparks.org: Contact Us

By Mail
Hamilton County Park District
10245 Winton Road
Cincinnati, OHio 45231

By Phone
(513) 521-7275
Administrative offices are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

By Fax
(513) 521-2606

By Email
Information@GreatParks.org

Right now, I'm working with the folks for Millikin Rd Park and Highland Hills (update soon!), so if anyone else has the opportunity, that would be great, thanks!
edge
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 1:14:14 PM

Thanks Liz, I sent an email off to GreatParks
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 7:55:58 AM

Played Winton Woods last night with my family for the first time this year. All I can say is WOW. They have butchered that course. It used to be nicely wooded and now you can just about see everything on every hole. Agree with early comments about back 9. I was shocked to see every basket from every hole. I hope that the clearing was done for a good reason. Also hope that lots of it grows back. As I had heard, the course was packed. So why did they clear out so much brush and small trees?
PaulDmt
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 7:14:11 AM

Hamilton County Parks is hosting a glow round at Winton Woods on Friday March 27th @ 8pm.  Contact 521-PARKS or Adventure Outpost @ 521-2345.  Course Fee $5.00. Bring your own disc or rent a disc from park for $3.00.

Be sure to call first!  Otherwise the parks may not know there's enough interest and cancel the event.

Glow Disc Golf
Winton Woods / 8:00 p.m.
A game of disc or Frisbee golf is always fun, but playing it at night is even more fun! Bring your own glow disc or rent one of ours and try your skill on our glowing course! Cost is $5 and, if needed, frisbee rental is $3. Deadline to register is March 26. Register online.
greenhills
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 10:45:49 AM

Last night at Winton, the course was full of strollers, dogs and newbie families. I think it is great that disc golf is gaining in popularity, but it is about time that the Hamilton County Park district adresses the overcrowding by building an additiional course. There is plenty of land across the road from the existing course, or in another location in the park.
ahlavac
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 12:46:57 PM

You should have seen Mt. Airy yesterday after work (5:30). Every hole was occupied. Some holes had as many as eight players teeing off, with other groups waiting behind them.

I am THRILLED that disc golf is gaining in popularity, and that so many people are enjoying the game and the great parks we have in Cincy. However, I do miss playing quiet, relaxing rounds on empty courses. I guess I'll go to Pride Park, where the course is usually empty, but Pride's not as challenging as Airy. Maybe I'll have to wait for December when the crowds die down.
greenhills
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:26:34 AM

Winton Woods recently spread a bunch of fine gravel around the baskets and the fairways. The course now handles the rain better and is less puddled.

I still say that the heavy usage justifies an additional course in Winton Woods.
jpaul6
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:28:49 PM

I think if you combine a few holes to make them longer, then add a few-probably on the back 9 part, then it would be awesome. The trees are nice but it's just too short and I think they have the room to add ~1000-2000 feet to the existing course to make it awesome.
L_Stephens
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:01:58 PM

....and then Winton Woods wouldn't be what it is....a great place to introduce people to the sport. I'm all for an additional course at Winton Woods of an Int - Adv level....but not at the expense of losing the current course.
greenhills
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:43:58 AM

L_Stephens wrote:
....and then Winton Woods wouldn't be what it is....a great place to introduce people to the sport. I'm all for an additional course at Winton Woods of an Int - Adv level....but not at the expense of losing the current course.

I absolutely agree, the current course should be preserved as it is

There is land across from holes 1&2 that extends back into the parcours trail area that could be used.  There is also enough land behind 5&6 that could be used.

There are also many other areas in Winton Woods that could be used for a new 18 hole course.  I like the way Monroe carved a course into the woods. 

Again, my point is that the heavy usage justifies the new course.  I was thinking it would be useful to get a count of how many people play on an average weekend.
frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:50:16 PM

Winton Woods as is is unsafe. It was designed when golf was played with backyard frisbees, and due both to disc design improvements (farther flight) and tree trimming (eliminating barriers between pins and tees as well as between holes themselves), the course has become rather obsolete for the popularity it maintains. Two edged sword. On one hand it's popular, but on the other hand that popularity has bred obsolescence.
Parks personnel are aware of these concerns. They want to maintain the course's popularity and improve safety. Honeysuckle is also a concern. This fast-spreading non-native plant is strangling the native mature forest. There are approximately 29 acres of area including and adjacent to the existing course, that if cleared of honeysuckle (with volunteer labor), could yield a redesign of the course.

L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:33:50 PM

I was going to write an extensive diatribe concerning the above post calling Winton Woods unsafe like I normally do when I read something I don't agree with and I just spout off at the mouth before thinking. Rarely does my opinion change from my initial thought...but I'll reframe from that action and go play some disc golf. All I'll say is that we must remember where we came from....and honor that past...and remember, the trails we walked to arrive where we are today...may be highways for those that follow.
frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:52:51 PM

Indeed, Winton is hallowed ground. But all it takes is one errant overthrow into a baby carriage on the next tee to get it pulled for good. #2 tee is 20' from #1 basket. #5 tee is 20' from #4 basket. #6 tee is now unprotected from #5 tee shots. And so on through the course. There used to be protection, but over the last 30 years golf has grown and trees have been cut down.
I hope the walk did you well, and you thought it over. I'd like to hear the original diatribe unedited, but since you took a break I hope a well worded opinion is on its way.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:22:24 PM

I am against any redesign for one major reason. This course like woodland mound are original designs by Steady Ed Headrick and should be left as is. We should be able to convince the park to add a new course.
L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 11:38:54 PM

I played in the rain...I went out to Banklick and forgot the High School Championships were out there...so I went back to the confines of Idlewild. I don't 'think' when I'm out on the course...work...personal life...politics...whatever..it is left in the car as I walk to the first tee. However, I've sat in this computer chair for hours now and I think I have a coherent thought.

Generally when I hear people talk about over crowding and then 'safety' I immediately get the word 'agenda' stuck in my head. If your agenda is to have a course that is close by that is more difficult for you playing ability and less crowded....then I think we can all agree that we each have that agenda and we can't fault you for it. But, realize that we aren't all at the same level and people have to learn the sport from somewhere. Not everyone can walk out at Idlewild or Mt Airy and walk away feeling like this is the sport for them. People get disheartened on hard courses. I started playing less than 2 years ago (1 yr 50 weeks) and I started at Winton Woods. I couldn't reach any of the holes...except the 90 footer....so yes...I'm a little sentimental about Winton.

Ok, so let's talk about safety. I've been to Winton Woods about a gazillion times...which is about 99 gazillion times less than half the people on this forum....but I don't see people really throwing new tech drivers. I see some old stuff..maybe someone throwing a forehand Beast...but most people are using DX stuff that is 10+ yr old tech. I wasn't around 10 years ago, so please excuse me if this topic has been argued ad nauseam. If it wasn't a problem 10 years ago...why is it now? The lady with the baby stroller...why is she there? To play disc golf? I've been all over the East Coast and way down South to play Disc Golf...I've seen my fair share of terribly designed courses when it comes to safety. Winton Woods doesn't have shots that end near a play ground. You don't shoot toward a pic nic table. You only have two holes where some people can get a full pull..and #4 allows you to look 90 degrees from the next tee to watch yourself..and the other is fairly wooded. It's a putter course..and putters are blunt edge...and while they can sting when you get hit...not all that bad.

Winton Woods....to me...is a Disc Golf version of Putt Putt. In Putt Putt..the next tee is a mere 6 feet away...but the nature of the game doesn't have us teeing off from the previous tee causing an unsafe environment. Sure, the occasional idiot does this...but blame the idiot...not the design. Every time I've been to Winton Woods...I've never once felt unsafe...err...Disc Golf related....but at Woodland Mound..I routinely feel like I'm about to get cracked. I personally feel that there are enough trees at Winton Wood to have adequate protection from errant shots. Many n00bs feel the course in its present form is difficult with all the trees...eventhough the parks have butchered it in their eventual losing pursuit of killing flowering kudzu...err..I mean honey suckle.

My 2 cents...probably work like .85 cents by now..but I will protest loudly if any official movement goes to close/significantly alter what is now called Winton Woods.

frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:16:39 AM

Interesting opinions. Winton Woods is indeed hallowed ground.
I dunno. Longworth Hall is on the National Historic Register and it may be torn down or altered for a new interstate bridge.
Can overuse render it obsolete? Headrick's design was, after all, intended for 119 gram tossing fribees, just as I-75's Brent Spence Bridge was designed for 1950s-level auto traffic. This opinion is not meant as disrespect toward Headrick's design. There's really no way he could have foreseen the growth and popularity of the sport he spawned. Had he known golf discs would become weighted and streamlined, no 90-foot hole would ever have been included, especially where errant tee shots land right in front of the next tee.
If the course was to be altered or replaced, wouldn't that enhance it by being able to accomodate more players?
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 2:22:39 AM

Modern painters have high tech inks that are far superior to the painting oils of 1503. Modern 'canvas' is undoubtably vastly superior to using dried popular tree as a painting surface. You can call her ugly...but the Mona Lisa is a painting that has withstood scrutiny for generation upon generation. It has been deemed as outdated since before our grand parents were born....however...she lives on. By the hands of a master...art was formed...and we shouldn't let our short term preconceptions cloud our judgment of what a master piece Winton Woods was/is/and shall be.

Yes..I just compared Winton Woods to the Mona Lisa...both are short, outdated, some say ugly...but a master piece none the less....only those jaded by the inability of finesse and the over indulgence of raw distance can not look upon Winton Woods and smile at the vision Steady Ed Headrick.

Ok...I'm done...let's go play in a few hours.
Brad_H
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:54:53 PM

I tried playing with a lid the last time I went. Man, did that make it tougher! I think 2, 9, 11, and 14 were the only holes I could reach from the tee.

Putting with a lid is a whole different ball game too.
greenhills
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 9:07:33 AM

I play Winton Woods every day and safety is not an issue. I have chucked a shot ot two into the next tee before, but a simple "heads up" seems to work pretty well :-)
My interest in a new course at Winton is based upon the over-crowding of the original course. A re-design of the existing course would not help the over-crowding at all. I also think the heavy usage justifies the new course. And, as far as volunteeers go, I am sure if they asked for help, they would get it