Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Winton Woods Options
funktopus
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 11:01:21 AM

Yeah Winton is old but it's the starting place for so many disc players. My buddy takes his 11 year old there pretty much every Tuesday. My wife likes the course and finds it hard enough, but not too difficult to make her want to stop playing. (Keep in mind her first game was two weeks ago.) New tee pads and getting rid of the huge asphalt pads for the pin, and you would have tons of happy people. Overall I would suggest leaving the first 18 there and adding another more difficult 18. That course gets enough traffic it could support it and then Steady Ed's course wouldn't have to take all the abuse.
PaulDmt
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:59:30 AM

Glow disc golf is back at Winton.  Preregistration required!

JUNE 5
Glow Disc Golf

Winton Woods / 9:00 p.m.
Bring your own glow disc or rent one of ours and try your skills on our glowing course! Cost is $5.00 to play plus $3.00 disc rental, if needed. Deadline to register is June 3. Register online. 

JULY 3
Glow Disc Golf / 9:00 p.m.

Winton Woods
A game of disc golf is always fun, but playing it at night is even more fun! Bring your own glow disc or rent one of ours and try your skills on our glowing course! Cost is $5, plus $3 for disc rental, if needed. Deadline to register is July 1. Register online.

Hamilton County parks do not offer this opportunity very often!  You MUST pre-register!  If you do not pre-register then parks may cancel the event as they may not see enough interest.  They will also keepyou up-to-date in case of any changes.
PaulDmt
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:08:10 AM

A critical error has occurred.
Index was outside the bounds of the array.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 11:49:54 PM

What would everyone think if Winton could be re-designed in a duplicitous manner - perhaps making a front nine with shorter holes, suitable for amateur players, and a back nine with longer holes, more suitable for advanced players??? Perhaps both nines could start and finish near the parking lot. There could be 2 tees and 2 basket positions per hole for added flexibility. Tournaments could be played using 4 different configurations with varied  distances each round...???
drx49er
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2009 9:43:47 AM

I think it should be left alone and another 18 put in somewhere else in the park. There is plenty of room. That way it can accomodate more players on a regular basis without fouling up the orginal design.
frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 12:08:19 AM

It sounds like the short but sweet aspect, as well as the history of Winton are the attractions. It's the course where a lot of us cut our teeth before stepping out into the larger disc golf world.
My experience with the course is memorable. I started with Frisbees that you could toss with, since that's what it was designed for. The course, when it was new, and scaled for the distances the old backyard tossing frisbees carried, resembled what it's now like playing modern-day Monroe. Most experienced players could conceivably reach every hole but a couple, and even those couple were within attainable distance for good arms. The holes were tight, and there was an even distribution of left, right, and straight throws.
I got to the point where I was throwing hole-in-ones at least once a week. I could play that course blindfolded.
There is no way of tightening up the course again without closing it for a year or two to allow trees to take hold and mature. They tried planting replacements in the past, but the young saplings were always damaged, either by vandalism or sheer disc abuse. I think the park realizes the old charm of the course is a thing of the past, and that they know they have a possible liability issue on their hands. The traffic there is a two-sided coin. They love the visitors, but they've run out of room for them.
We've been extremely lucky in this area in that we don't have courses pulled out at the first sign of trouble like other cities have. I know, from playing Winton over the years, that there have been times of trouble, and to the county park system's credit, they stuck with the game, eventually, by example, convincing several other municipalities around town to try the sport in their own parks.
I still maintain that Winton in its present state is a liability, albeit a damn charming old friend. It's kinda like an old buddy who's losing his eyesight and won't admit it. I love the course, but I don't go near it any more for the sheer crowding. I won't ride with that old friend any more when he's driving.
greenhills
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 9:29:06 AM

I agree 100% with you on this one.  The only thing that will help with the overcrowding is an additional course. 

drx49er wrote:
I think it should be left alone and another 18 put in somewhere else in the park. There is plenty of room. That way it can accomodate more players on a regular basis without fouling up the orginal design.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 12:12:45 AM

I am surprised no one has posted anything yet...
Russ Toelke and I met twice with some park folks about redesigning the Winton Woods disc golf course.
At the first meeting they gave us a map of available land, and at the second meeting we gave them 2 options,
a 27 hole layout and an 18 hole layout. Nothing will be in stone until they have a meeting with their
board in late June. Presently, they are leaning toward the more spaced out 18 hole layout.
This was discussed at the June GCFDA meeting and maps were shared.
With 2 tees and 2 basket placements per hole a duplicitous course could be attained which could adequately
satisfy amateur and advanced players.
Many details still need to be decided upon and we need to wait on the park folks before anything is done.
The park has potentially allocated quite a bit of land - a total of 28.9 acres.
greenhills
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 3:33:54 PM

Wow, that is fantastic news! I can't wait for more details!

Would this leave the existing course as is, or will it be re-designed?
frizgolf
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:10:04 PM

Parks department is interested in a redesign.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:00:26 AM

Question on the duplicitous course idea, who decides when to move the baskets, and who moves the baskets? Wouldn't they be county property once installed? How would that work exactly? In theory I like the idea, because you could alter the course for a tourney but I think it's equally important to keep a begginner friendly layout, it's those types of courses that ultimately give the sport more exposure and get people playing. I think wherever possible, we would want to preserve the "spirit" of Winton Woods I.E. more accuracy and technical vs. big D (the tourney setup should have some D....but it doesn't need a 1000 ft hole or even a 700 ft hole for that matter)and attention to "flow". Winton flows from one hole to the next, would be nice if the new design kept that going. That's important given all the traffic at the course. What about the tee pads, I would say the asphault is one thing that could and should be ditched, I don't need a reminder of Bon Jovi's first album title when golfing...(or at anytime for that matter) are the flypads less expensive then concrete? Maybe the park could save some coin if that's the case...If they decide to do a redesign, should the club do a farewell tourney, one last day at ole Winton before it's in the history books? Maybe we could do it as a fundraiser for the grand openining of the new course?
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:29:53 AM

Duplicitious? Meaning deceptive in words or action? I'd like to see a more deceptive course design, very clever idea.

You liked the Flypads at the AM Nats, eh Drew? (nice playing BTW)

As long as you bring in the elevation elements that are present the two Tee pad idea just may catch on, j/k. It sounds good to me. Will we get to have another New Years Day event?
greenhills
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:45:12 AM

The current usage of Winton is so heavy that on most evenings and weekends the course is packed. How is a re-design going to help with that situation? If we take the existing course and make it better, that will just draw more people and interest.
Don't get me wrong, I thing the re-design is a great thing and I appreciate all efforts to make this happen.
But, I still think leaving the existing 18 holes alone and building an additional course is the only way to help with the heavy usage.
NKYgoalie
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 11:31:41 AM

Yeah, I think leaving the course alone and building a seperate one is the best way to go. Its good to have a small course like woodland and winton so beginers will go and play, get interested in the sport, and continue to keep playing while not getting beat up by big courses like idlewild. This is my girlfriends favorite course for that reason and the same for many others. IMO advanced course and beginer course would draw more people than ever to play disc golf there.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:21:43 PM

John, that is a different Drew Miller - note the (RH) - right-handed. I'm starting to call him Drew 2, like R2 Drew 2.
kmaupin
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:29:04 PM

Winton Woods is a popular course for being an easy course, I think complicating matters by having two tees and two baskets per hole is complicating an already successful course. If that course was dead and needed overhauled then maybe but you talking about fixing something that isn't broke. The need is for a 2nd more advanced course to give more advanced players a place that will challenge them. I don't like how the tee pads are close to the previous basket on some of the holes but if that was a true problem, this course would have been gone long ago. Giving more advanced players a course seperate from the original will help foster the novice golfer and give them something to work towards and the current players a more challeging option, thus reducing the crowding that is seen now.

frizgolf
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:25:07 PM

Hole/tee proximity is a problem. I'm guessing here, but I think that may be one of the reasons redesign is in the parks department's collective mind. Like I've mentioned further back in the thread, the park has managed to keep the course in the ground despite problems in the past. Once again, just a guess, but I think there may be something afoot. Perhaps there was an incident. Perhaps they just know the holes are too close and are trying to avoid an incident. I really don't know. Fact is, they want input for redesign. The problem with adding another 18 (or even bumping from 18 to 27) is the cost. They have relatively new baskets and would like to keep from buying more. They want as much volunteer help as they can get, but we have to look into liability issues with any equipment volunteers may need to use. Ideally, 18 would be the cheapest option. If there was a way to raise enough money to purchase additional baskets, as well as helping to fund the additional tee pads and concrete anchors needed, expanding from 18 could be possible. The biggest problem in leaving the original 18 in and adding another 18 would be the limits of the area allotted for redesign. The new course wouldn't fit around the old one. The new land is north, east, and south of the existing course. Present #12 and #13 are at the eastern boundary of what they deem protected land.
StorminSteve
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:14:53 PM

As a new golfer , I must say that if I went to Idlewild for my first time out , I would have quit after that. By having a Winton Woods, Woodland, or other such "easier" courses, it kept my interest in it. Now I play the harder courses and have just as much fun ! Knowing Dan, Fred and Hank (owners of disc golf stores) it helps their bussiness as well. These beginner golfers end up buying a disc, play the easier courses ,get better, Then they buy more disc and continue to improve and play the harder courses. They in turn bring along freinds and hopefully the same process happens. My wife , son, his girlfriend and myself play cause of of not getting frustated by trying to play a hard course in the beginning. I thing the two pads and baskets would only make it slower and also bring in more players cause of now all the different skill levels of play. ( you don't see to many new players at Idlewild, or Kenton Ridge Etc. )  I say leave it as and try to add different holes. I'm willing to help if needed.
greenhills
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 11:22:19 AM

So as far as the original course goes,how about some questions? What is the most aces ever in one round? What is the most and least aced hole? How many of you have aced the par 5 holes? Any memorable moments? How many times did Ken Climo play the course? Anyone remember seeing Fishnet hit the ace in the Scott Stokely doubles round? (Paul D and I beat Stokely and my son)
kylcrow
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:20:31 PM

If we are bringing up memorable moments, I have my most memorable disc golf memory from Winton Woods. My friend and I are on 18, and he is beating me by 1 throw. He goes and puts his disc right under the basket. Then I throw, and I threw it way to hard. The disc hits the chains, and cuts the disc getting stuck in the chains. It was my first ace ever. We then played the first hole again and I proceed to get my second ace ever to win the match. Happiest day of my life...

I would have to assume that 11 is the most aced hole?
frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:41:13 AM

I've aced #9 so many times I lost track.
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:20:33 PM

discndat wrote:
John, that is a different Drew Miller - note the (RH) - right-handed. I'm starting to call him Drew 2, like R2 Drew 2.

lol, hey drews squared!. 

Any increasing of the course length will improve congestion problems. Please, try to maintain a front nine back nine loop setup.  BTW my  vote is for a 54 Hole Disc Gofl Country Club at Winton Woods! And a clubhouse with a lounge perhaps a swimming pool too. idea
frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:35:55 PM

Rearranging the course will easily maintain loops.
greenhills
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 7:44:50 AM

I would leave #1 alone, but then take out #2. I would pull the #3 tee back 15 yards and then leave the #3 basket where it is. I would leave the par 5 alone and then go into the woods for the next holes and eventually come back and end at #9.

Then I would leave 10 alone, take out the par 3 and leave the par 5 like it is. I would then run out in the woods for a few holes and come back for 16, 17 and 18
bobherb
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 11:31:17 PM

Hey Greenhills, Those sound like good ideas you have..., except you need to see the amount of land they are proposing we use. It is quite a bit more land than the current course uses for a total of almost 30 acres. Russ and I both have several (at least 5) holes on the other side (east side) of the road in our proposed designs.

Hey Finnhawc, 54 holes with a lounge and a swimming pool sounds doable - as long as the lounge is a chair provided by you and the pool is a puddle suitable for soaking your feet in after a recent rain... HA!!!

It really is possible that a course with 2 tees (and basket placements) per hole could provide a course for everyone - with the configuration of short tees to short pins making holes play between 150 to 300 feet , and the long tee to long pin configuration making holes play from 250 feet to over 500 feet. The entire course would be in fairly tight woods with lots of chances to hit trees. There would even be some mild elevation changes. The park guys said they want us to have professional tournaments there. They also know the current course is potentially dangerous with many tees exposed to errant throws.

For those with sentimental attachments to Winton, I too played my first round there and truly believe the "flavor" of Winton Woods can be maintained (even restored) with a re-design. Some of you are not familiar with the "OLD/ORIGINAL" Winton coure. It had about 500 more trees still intact when it first went in. Russ and Fred could attest to this. I first saw the course in the late 80's and there were lots more trees.
More later-