Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Winton Woods Options
greenhills
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:25:50 AM

The bigger the better is fine with me!

I do like the current design of a loop for the front 9 and back 9. The way it is now, you can easily start on the back 9 if the front is crowded
kylcrow
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:42:01 AM

I agree with greenhills, the two loops for starting the font/back 9 are a great thing, especially with all the traffic at Winton. Is there a place we can see the proposed land for the remodel?
bobherb
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:52:11 PM

The Winton Woods Park guys would like to see a list of potential volunteers who could donate some time to working on a potential re-design.
This, of course, is not a binding contract.
I will start a list here (taking some liberty by who I list)...
Please copy, paste and add your name if you have intentions to help:
1. Bob Herbert
2. Russ Toelke
3. Paul Dumont
4. Pete Caldwell
5. ...

greenhills
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 7:56:01 AM

bobherb wrote:
The Winton Woods Park guys would like to see a list of potential volunteers who could donate some time to working on a potential re-design. This, of course, is not a binding contract. I will start a list here (taking some liberty by who I list)... Please copy, paste and add your name if you have intentions to help:
1. Bob Herbert
2. Russ Toelke
3. Paul Dumont
4. Pete Caldwell
5. Greenhills Steve 
Ryan Ruef
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 5:07:00 PM

bobherb wrote:
The Winton Woods Park guys would like to see a list of potential volunteers who could donate some time to working on a potential re-design. This, of course, is not a binding contract. I will start a list here (taking some liberty by who I list)... Please copy, paste and add your name if you have intentions to help:
1. Bob Herbert
2. Russ Toelke
3. Paul Dumont
4. Pete Caldwell
5. Greenhills Steve
6. Ryan Ruef
2Timer
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 8:49:02 PM

1. Bob Herbert
2. Russ Toelke
3. Paul Dumont
4. Pete Caldwell
5. Greenhills Steve
6. Ryan Ruef
7. David Cox
8. Rebecca Cox
StorminSteve
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 9:22:16 PM

If all courses become longer where will the beginners learn to play. You have to have some beginner courses. As a 2 handicap ball golfer , you have to have some sort of a starter course to learn on, such as a par 3 course. No person would have any fun if they had to learn on a hard course. Please try to keep in mind that not all disc golfers start off throwing long. My wife and other women like her enjoy this course as well as Woodland because it is a course they can somewhat play. Just my thoughts.
andersab
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 9:50:19 PM

I agree with Steve, its the only course that I can take my wife to, she loses interest too quick otherwise. Plus, where else would we play with lids(Ultimate Discs) at?
funktopus
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 10:33:26 PM

I'm with you guys. My wife loves Winton cause it's shorter.

DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 11:47:27 PM

Count me in for helping
Ryan Ruef
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:53:39 AM

Don't know how possible it is, but for the ones who like the couse shorter what about mutiple teepads on a new design.
2Timer
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:52:02 AM

We don't want to run off the beginners. Rebecca might not be playing today if woodland Mound wasn't there.
woottebs
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:26:02 AM

1. Bob Herbert
2. Russ Toelke
3. Paul Dumont
4. Pete Caldwell
5. Greenhills Steve
6. Ryan Ruef
7. David Cox
8. Rebecca Cox
9. Brandon Wootten
drx49er
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:11:19 PM

1. Bob Herbert
2. Russ Toelke
3. Paul Dumont
4. Pete Caldwell
5. Greenhills Steve
6. Ryan Ruef
7. David Cox
8. Rebecca Cox
9. Brandon Wootten
10. Dayton Johnson
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:26:15 PM

That's a big list, if you need help with work let me know. Otherwise, I'll leave the design to the experts here.
StorminSteve
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:13:10 PM

2Timer wrote:
We don't want to run off the beginners. Rebecca might not be playing today if woodland Mound wasn't there.

That is my point .  How many people from that area will travel to Woodland to play ?  It isn't like there isn't any longer courses in that area for the better players to play. I do understand how courses become "boring" ,but there are so many courses in the area. Each one has it's own character to it . We just really started playing this season and to honest with you , I pretty much gave up ball golf this year, cause of the people we meet and the fun of it ! That is just my thoughts .
bobherb
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 9:01:59 PM

Just to update everyone...,
Here is a quote from our Winton Woods Park connection after the June 29 meeting:

"Our staff is continuing its review of the proposed changes. We have been refining the plan for the horse trail realignment to see if it will work with your proposed layout.
Please be patient as we review the proposal."

Back to me now...,
Also, be aware that 2 tees are planned for each hole, making most of the short tees to short pin placements play between 150' to 300'. The long tees are planned to be approximately 100' longer than the short tees, and the long pins are planned to be about 100' longer than the short pins. This, theoretically, will make the longest configuration about 200' longer per hole than the shortest configuration. Remember the word "theoretically" because this will not apply perfectly to each hole.
Having the holes isolated from one another will make the course play more safely and also accommodate more players.
As I stated in a previous post, they have potentially given us a total of 28.9 acres including some land across the street from the current course - enough land for at least 5 holes.

O.K., the list of volunteers looks like this now:
1. Bob Herbert
2. Russ Toelke
3. Paul Dumont
4. Pete Caldwell
5. Greenhills Steve
6. Ryan Ruef
7. David Cox
8. Rebecca Cox
9. Brandon Wootten
10. Dayton Johnson
10. Drew Miller (RH)
11. Mike Kemner
12. Fred Salaz

Thanks to each of you for your interest in what could be an excellent addition to our group of courses here in greater Cincinnati.
Anyone who shows up will have input on the design.
Happy 4th!!!
bobherb
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 4:59:03 PM

We were informed that our usable space has been slightly decreased - we cannot use the land east of the shelter. There is still plenty of room, however for a nice course.
Brad_H
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 5:14:02 PM

Can somebody please bring me up to speed;

Is this going to be a second course at Winton or a remodeling of current course?

Will the current course stay put or be taken out?

Is the new construction going to be in untamed woods, or a semi-developed area?
discndat
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 5:52:02 PM

This is just in the talking stages right now. Nothing has been decided but the talk is that it will be a newly designed course, old one will be gone. New one in wooded areas. That's what I know. But as I said, it's just in the early stages of discussing what is feasible from the parks departments view and those who would help in designing the course. More will be posted as it develops. Things are always changing until it gets finalized.
bobherb
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 12:06:04 AM

Russ Toelke and I have met with the park guys 3 times now. During our last meeting we were informed that some of the land they originally designated for the new course was now off limits (across the street from current basket # 4 - south, east, and north of the shelter we use for our January 1st tourney). Some new area, however, has been added to our disc golf usable "zone" where the mulch pile currently resides. I think we are still talking around 27 acres or so. They also informed us they want to install concrete tees (2 per hole) and unfortunately, they want to have only one basket position per hole, and have a 6' diameter concrete "pad" around it (yes, discs will still get scratched up around the baskets). We discussed trying to maintain at least 9 holes open for play at all times after redesign begins. Also, they like the idea of making the front nine (generally) shorter, more beginner friendly (kinder/gentler), and the back nine being more challenging. Some preliminary designs indicate the front playing like a flatter Bank Lick (or whatever it is called now), and the back playing a bit longer, at least from the back tees. Many holes on the back may have doglegs which will allow for 2 or more groups to be playing the holes during the same time. Since the park guys are currently nixing the double pin positions, the tee pads have more distance between them (on the preliminary plans) to make for more contrast. We have e-mailed back and forth numerous times and seem to be developing a good working relationship. One of the park guys we met at the last meeting actually plays the game. There is no schedule for when any work will begin yet, but we have been encouraged by what has happened so far.
We shall be patient - the new Winton Woods course has the potential to be an outstanding course which can cater to both beginners and advanced players alike.
Russ and I will let you know of any further development.
cincinnatidiscgolf
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:13:39 PM

anyone find a reddish orangish champion roadrunner on hole 8???

if you do find it will you bring it over or send it to 818 carini LN. Greenhills cincinnati ohio 45218

My name is charlie
StorminSteve
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 10:04:02 PM

I heard that maybe Winton Woods may already have a new layout . Also that 2 holes may be longer than 700 feet. Is that true ??
Tim Tim
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:45:42 AM

Man how do you think I feel... I had to learn playing MONROE!!! But since it IS such an easy course, I don't see why refreshing it a bit would hurt.
greenhills
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 11:13:19 AM

Hey guys, does anyone have any updates on the proposed changes to Winton Woods? Where does this stand?

thanks