Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

The New Mason Sports Park Options
dburchett
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:09:42 AM

To anyone interetested in the new Mason Sports Park:

The Mason Sports Park, complete with a 9-hole disc golf course, will have it's grand opening on April 19th, 2008 at Noon.  I know that there is a tournament in the area that weekend, but if anyone is interested in coming out to help show off the game of Disc Golf to our visitors that day, it would be greatly appreciated.

We're excited about the upcoming summer at the park and hope to host some tournaments over that time, and are interested in running a disc golf league. Disc Golf is an entirely new venture for us here at the City of Mason Parks and Recreation Department, so if you have any ideas of things you'd like to see, and any tips to help our tournaments and leagues run smoothly, please let me know. You can contact me at dburchett@masonoh.org. I look forward to your responses and talking with many of you soon.

Also, in the next week or so, I plan on adding pictures of our course to this site. Due to the current state of soggy weather, I havn't been able to make it out to the course, but as soon as things begin to dry up, they'll be posted.

Dane Burchett
Recreation Supervisor for Sports
City of Mason Parks and Recreation Department
Zeigler
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 3:18:24 PM

I made it out to the course saturday evening....looked good. Had some recreational golfing going on!!! This is the new closest course to me....so i will probably try to head out there once in a while....was only my second round in the last 6 months....so didnt go to well....gotta get my revenge soon!
T_Vincent
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 6:31:11 PM

I was out there earlier in the day during the grand opening and I too was impressed with the course. They plan on putting in concrete teepads this summer. The layout is confusing if you have not played the course before, more signs are needed. I am sending tee pics and a course map to the Web guys so it can be updated.

If any one is close to Gulley, this is not a bad course to play on the same day.
ccs
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 7:20:34 PM

I played a few rounds at Mason today. It is a very nice layout for nine holes with some pretty tough tee shots and a little distance mixed in. Holes 5,6,7, and 8 are especially nice with 5 and 8 playing across a pretty wide creek. Until they install concrete tee pads, I would not use the current ones as they are filled with quarter inch round gravel with no dust. When you plant your foot, you sink about four inches making it tough to rotate. If you go, here are a few tips so you don't get lost. When you turn right at the sign that says, "disc golf" look to your left and you will drive past the first tee. After two go up the walking path to the left and you will see the third tee. After you play four walk across the field and the fifth tee is to the right of the bridge. You will also see the ninth tee to the right of the fifth tee.
mikekem
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 5:16:32 PM

Tee pictures are up on the Mason Sports Park Page. Thanks goes to Tony Vincent for taking all the pictures. I'm heading out the door here and I may hit this course up. There is also a picture of the course map on the course page for first time visitors.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 8:42:26 AM

I played a few holes at Mason and was very impressed. It is a beautiful course with elevation change and some tougher holes than I expected. Everything is definetly 3-able but some are challenging 3s. If you get a chance to get up there and play it, you'll play two rounds I bet.
agentdozzer
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:01:35 PM

Went up there after gulley today and both are great courses, lots of lefty holes which is a great change of pace.
Zeigler
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:02:05 PM

Yup, always nice to make it fair for the lefties and side-arm throwers. I am sure Drew miller loves throwing a hyzer once in a while. Seems like the new mason course is getting alot of action.....very cool!!!
kmaupin
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 2:11:44 PM

Visited the park for the first time on Saturday and it was very nice. Having a course map handy will help you the first time through; I left it on the printer and regretted it. ;p

The course was hopping by the time we started the second round of nine. I will warn you that you don't want to throw into the woods as it is tough to find discs. My buddy couldn't stay out of the woods during our first nine and we must have played through 3 groups looking for discs on our second round of nine.

Course layout was nice; I love the picturesque creek winding through.

Recommend a bit more signage for getting around and I would not part a car at hole 2 as I saw 2 guys throw into the parking lot (by mistake of course).

Great new course, I can see it being very successful!

Thanks,
Kelly
greenhills
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 1:31:53 PM

I just got back from my first game at the new course. Very nicely done, kudos to all who made it happen.
I agree that the map came in handy, some arrows to the next tee would help. Also, because the course is so new, the rough is very thick, I can see losing a disc on this course.

Favorite moment:

The pad for #8 sits on top of a hill and you cannot see the basket, but it pretty much a straight shot. So, I launch a pretty decent throw(or so I thought) As I crest the hill, I can now see the creek and my disc is sitting right in the middle of it!
I managed to tip-toe across and make my next throw, but my feet did get a bit wet :-)
borisbecker475
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 11:57:33 PM

Well, hoping to check out all of the course in the Greater Cincinnati area and having to work a lot during the summer, I decided to check out this new course. Lots of left doglegs, through some trees, little parts of woods too. The only thing that I noticed was that since it had rained recently, it made this course pretty sloppy and ruined my nice shoes I had on that day :(. Besides it being sloppy, the layout looks really nice with good elevation changes.
cheesy79
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 9:57:44 AM

My wife and I have played this course twice in the last week.  Both times the bugs flying around were really bad and each time we got a tick on us.  Does this have something to do with the water treatment plant right next to the course?  Just a fluke?  Anyone else had problems with ticks on this course? 
greenhills
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 12:23:27 PM

No problems with ticks, but I normally try to stay out of the woods laugh 
The fairway for hole #3 does seem to stay pretty wet and slippery
cheesy79
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 2:03:41 PM

greenhills wrote:
No problems with ticks, but I normally try to stay out of the woods laugh 
The fairway for hole #3 does seem to stay pretty wet and slippery

Haha......I was so waiting for that. 
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 7:51:44 PM

The flying bugs are because of the season and the location of the course and the stream flowing through it and pond. If your watching the reds game you can see the same bugs...
grant
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 1:47:24 PM

there are ticks everywhere. lol
gorfolio
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2009 8:32:23 PM

i brought one home this past Wednesday.
drx49er
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 10:30:05 AM

We were at Gulley on Wednesday and I found a tick on my shoulder...yuck!!
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 3:42:53 PM

I too had a tick on my leg from Gulley on Wed. I didn't see any ticks there Sunday when I played. I noticed they have put in concrete teepads now which is nice. Anyone know when these went in?
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:34:19 PM

As of 5/12/2009 Mason is a mess. Almost every fairway edge is covered in honeysuckle and 6 inch tall grass. I managed to play every hole without losing anything until 8. I hate to say it but one of my favorite holes in the area is an absolute trap for discs. They let all of the weeds and grass right on the creek edge grow until it was waist high. I really cant believe how bad it is.

Play at your own risk...
ahlavac
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:11:18 AM

I played Mason on Saturday, and didn't think it was that bad. Three of us played that day, so one of us acted as a spotter on #8 to watch for discs headed into the creek. This probably prevented anything from getting lost in the grass too.

Also, my opinion of overgrown is probably biased because I play Pride Park semi-frequently (because Pride is always empty compared to crowded courses like Airy and Banklick). Pride is bordering on unplayable. The tall grass on #4, #17 & #18 is approaching the jungle-like level that rendered the course worthless last summer. Bummer.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:11:05 PM

We got out to play for the first time this year last Saturday. Great time at the Mason park. Was very crowded so guess others decided it was a nice day to play. Got to try out a new driver I got last fall. I love it and need to learn to work it better. It works best with a sharp easy throw and not a harsh one. Flies really straight and I love it. Was a gift to myself from DiscNDat (used disc bin).