Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Visiting Cincinnati this weekend - Course Advice? Options
abj
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:34:13 PM

Hi!  I'm visiting Cincinnati this weekend while my wife runs the Flying Pig Marathon.  I'll  probably have time to play two or three courses, but it looks like you guys have dozens.  Actually, I've never seen so many courses in one place.  It's awesome!  So which should I play while I'm in town? 

finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:04:33 PM

Mt. Airy is quite nice and Banklick is cool too and they are close to downtown.
Lingo1976
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 12:14:24 AM

As a person that travels everywhere with his trusty "PDGA Course Directory" and have visited many other courses in random cities. I would have to agree with finnhawc Mt. Airy is in a nice forest and has a long histroy. Great course. Banklick is almost in my backyard so it is great too. Nice rolling hills with a couple of steep hill shots and nice creek holes. Plus more for your buck cause it has 24 holes. Idlewild may want to be on your list too. It is very well manicured and beautiful to look at, but *beware* it is a pro caliber design. Where in town are you stayin for the weekend? Idlewild and Banklick are in Northern KY, and Mt. Airy is in Cincy.
abj
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 12:50:33 AM

Staying in downtown Cincy.  How long a drive would you say it is to Idlewild and Banklick?  When you say "pro caliber" do you mean Idlewild is technically difficult, or really long?  I like challenging  courses, but I don't have huge distance.  Thanks fo the replies!
osu_buckeyes
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 5:57:26 AM

abj wrote:
Staying in downtown Cincy.  How long a drive would you say it is to Idlewild and Banklick?  When you say "pro caliber" do you mean Idlewild is technically difficult, or really long?  I like challenging  courses, but I don't have huge distance.  Thanks fo the replies!

From downtown it is about 25-30 minutes to either Banklick or Idlewild. As for difficulty... it is both technical and also long. Idlewild from the long tees to long baskets is ~8000 feet, much of it through some pretty tight fairways. That being said it is an awesome course that you should really play if you have the time and energy. Just don't get too frustrated if the course starting beating you up a little, that happens to everyone at Idlewild at one time or another.
abj
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 8:09:46 AM

Mt. Airy, Banklick, and Idlewild it is then.  I'm excited.  Looks like a good chance of rain Saturday.  Are all three still playable after rain?  I know some places get swampy and need a few days to dry out, or have tee boxes that aren't friendly when wet.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 11:06:59 AM

They are all pretty well maintained and do well in rain, with concrete teepads that hold up pretty well. If you only find time to play one course this weekend, i would make it idlewild. Its the best course around(in my opinion) and after your done you can say you ran the Flying Pig, and played one of the nicest frisbee courses in the country(and thats a fact). Now thats a great weekend there! Good luck, and dont get to frustrated at the course, it beats everyone up!!!
skottyb
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 11:26:42 AM

as an outsider who just visited the Cincy area, I definitely recommend Idlewild, I can't wait to get back up there and play it again, my second favorite was Banklick... you guys are really lucky too have such high quality courses so close to each other. I'm jealous.
DOC65
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 2:35:05 PM

Mt Airy, Idlewild and Banklick are 3 of the best courses around hands down!! I just spent two weeks up there and played one of those courses everyday except two. And that was just because I had to work too late those days. And I was staying in Blue Ash so the drive was close to an hour one way but well worth the drive and gas!!! I had over 2000 miles on the rental car when I checked it in. :-)

And when I get back there I'll be doing it all over again. The one thing I'll give a bit of warning about it playing them in the rain. Since I had the pleasure of doing that a time or two during the two weeks I'd say go to Mt. Airy first if it's raining. I think it would be the easiest to navigate with Idlewild next. Banklick can get slick and you need to be sure and take your time.

But overall don't skip either one!!! And you'll quickly see why they are on the top of everyones favorite place to play list.
abj
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 7:06:55 PM

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.  I got to play Idlewild on Saturday just after the rain stopped, and Banklick on Sunday.  Both courses were excellent and I really enjoyed them.  You guys are lucky to have such great places to play.  Thanks again.