Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Disc Golf Lessons/How to Learn How To Play? Options
turpin.josh
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:02:18 PM

Hey everyone. I was at Banklick Woods Park today playing some disc golf with my fiancé. I bought a disc (Innova Shark) at Dick's Sporting Goods and figured I would try out the game. I am not that good but would like to learn how to play lol. I think on the first hole, I got a 4 on a Par 3. Does anyone know where I can get disc golf lessons and learn how to play the game? I don't even know where to begin buying the discs and stuff.

Thanks,

Josh
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:43:48 PM

You will be able to get organized lessons at "The Nati Disc Golf" club house next month at Mt Airy. Free group lessons or one on one lessons with a local pro for a fee will be available. All disc golf gear will be available as well.
I will post here for the grand opening date.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 11:47:17 AM

Josh, best way is to just go out and play .. Mt. Airy is a great place to learn the basics and Fred has prolly taught more of us the finer points in the game then most anyone around. Check the weekly informal events calendar, as a new player you will be able to get much better prices from Fred or Dan or players with extra discs then D1cks.
andersab
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 1:04:05 PM

I'd recommend going to weekly events... Its a lot easier to see a shot, ask about the shot, then figure out how-to practice it. Plus, most golfers know the correct format for throwing and are more than happy to help you out if you ask.
turpin.josh
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 6:33:58 PM

Thanks for the replies. Is there any good place where I can find the rules? I am interested in playing tournaments once I learn how to actually play the game. Is there any good videos on youtube or elsewhere that shows me what to do in tournament play? For example, as soon as you throw, do you go ahead and throw again or do you wait for everyone in your group to throw? Thanks again for the help guys, can't wait to start playing!! Also, what are the best beginner discs out there for putting, mid range, and driver?
agentdozzer
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 9:00:27 PM

teebird is a awesome driver it is straight and good in the wind. I like the rhyno for putting bc it to is great in the wind.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:29:49 AM

turpin.josh wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Is there any good place where I can find the rules? I am interested in playing tournaments once I learn how to actually play the game. Is there any good videos on youtube or elsewhere that shows me what to do in tournament play? For example, as soon as you throw, do you go ahead and throw again or do you wait for everyone in your group to throw? Thanks again for the help guys, can't wait to start playing!! Also, what are the best beginner discs out there for putting, mid range, and driver?

There are plenty of links off of the front page...

also try http://www.pdga.com
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:47:25 AM

Look for the Scott Stokely videos-the best disc golf instructional videos available by far. Then go to a local source that knows disc inside and out(Fred Salaz is in the Disc Golf Hall of Fame for a reason). Youtube does have vids "sportdisc" makes the best ones for forehand, putting, and upshots. I found that doubles improved my game the fastest- is there a pro/am draw doubles in the area folks? Beginner discs- try the Birdie(putter), Comet(mid-range), and the Leopard(driver) once you can throw them straight  you are ready for more stable discs. Also, go to a tournament and watch the best pro out there- the Tournament Director can likely point them out and the pro will love to have fans along.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:12:08 PM

John, I've been thinking of changing the Tuesday ace fund around a bit. Doubles one week(Pro/Am), handicap the next, left handed one week etc... I will post on decision once I finalized it. BUT I won't post what we will be doing that week, you have to come and find out fo yourself. Either way it will all be a fun time.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:48:50 PM

Yeah, that sound good Fred-my left hand is a bit rusty. Once you can play again we'll try forehand only, eh?