Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

What to play other than Banklick and Idlewild? Options
dramey12
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 4:05:03 PM

I traveling to Cincinnati for Memorial Day Weekend and am going to play Banklick and Idlewild.  I was looking to play Monroe or AJ Jolly also.  I haven't seen much information on Monroe.  What is the course like?
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 4:52:48 PM

Monroe is a great course... its on the far north side away from banklick and idlewild though. If you are wanting to stay close to northern ky, goto mt airy or aj
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:36:26 PM

The Monroe course has plenty of elevation changes 1/2 semi tight woods holes- cool shots there. It isn't too long and theTurtle Creek course is close to that as well-1/2 completely open the other 1/2 tough woods holes.  just>29 miles north of the Ohio river.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 9:58:06 AM

Im personally not a big fan of Monroe(to gimmicky). there are a lot of holes which would be extremely easy if it wasnt for the group of trees they left in the middle of a tight hallway. So if your into semi short courses with a lot of trees in the middle of tight hallway shots, this might be the course for you. But if you like to get out and let the disc loose, Mt. Airy is(in my opinion) the third best course in the tri-state other then banklick, and idlewild. And the good thing about it, its just about a 15 min drive once you cross over the ohio river. Where as Monroe is about 45 min.
BrandonBradshaw
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:03:12 AM

I think AJ Jolly is an excellent course to play if you want to stay in KY. Otherwise, Mt. Airy and Harbin would be my two other recommendations.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 11:32:22 AM

Mt. Airy is a must if you're in the area
dramey12
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:58:42 PM

I played Mt. Airy last year on a similar trip.  I thought it was a great course, but was looking for another course to play along with Idlewild and Banklick.   I like wooded courses that have well defined fairways.   Monroe sounds like its fairways aren't as clear as I like. 

Thanks for the help.  I may just stay in Northern Kentucky for this trip.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 6:04:26 PM

It is "God's country"  after all.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 6:28:26 PM

Monroe is well defined.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 7:50:43 PM

NEngle wrote:
Monroe is well defined.

Nick is right! Take it from a Michigan player, Monroe has nicely defined fairways with just one forcing two shots to make the pin(Bigboy excluded). IMO AJ Jolly is a bit useless, unless you enjoy losing discs. Where are you from and what courses do you play on?
agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 9:30:14 PM

AJ is not wooded at all. Loosing a disc there would have to come from pulling a drive into the lake, the lake is clean i fish (for disc) yearly, and wouldnt let the chance at a lost disc scare you away from this courses. Its beatiful and hole 2 is a awesome over the lake shot only two hundred feet so newbies can make it. I am little biased right now i aced 2 on sunday, It was suhweet.1stplace
dramey12
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:20:56 PM

I'm from Nashville.  My favorite courses in middle tennessee are Cebar Hill, Sharp Springs, and Seven Oaks(which are all mostly wooded).  I've played all of the courses in Bowling Green, with the front 9 at Basil Griffin and Kereiakes being my favorite.

I'm not opposed to a more open course, I just find coures with woods, water, and varied terrain more interesting.
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2008 1:01:28 AM

Now we have a reference point. You would like Monroe then, avoid AJ Jolly;seriously, even if it is a beautiful course it is boring overall. And, actually, Williamsburg is pretty cool when you get down to it. 45 min east of Downtown this course has 8 open holes with slight terrain changes and then I think 11 or 12 wooded holes(The course is steadily improving). There are side hill pins and a river water hazard on two holes good elevation changes throughout. Post when you are going to be here and somebody will probably join you.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2008 3:45:45 PM

Finny,
You are steppin' on some toes with your strong negative language in regard to AJ Jolly.
JMO...
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2008 10:34:13 PM

Easy, there is no need to take offense, Bob, it is an opinion in context with the criteria provided(Kereiakes-like courses;Griffin). I will encourage anybody who likes that kind of course to check it out-to each their own. Have you played Williamsburg lately, Bob?
soundmind
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 7:07:52 AM

a.j, good 4 a pic-nic or open field practice. shoot most holes anyway you want,trees are no problem . deep water next 2 baskets can cost a disc or 7. if im on that side of town, pride is alot of fun.
ccs
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 7:57:37 AM

finnhawc wrote:
Easy, there is no need to take offense, Bob, it is an opinion in context with the criteria provided(Kereiakes-like courses;Griffin). I will encourage anybody who likes that kind of course to check it out-to each their own. Have you played Williamsburg lately, Bob?

There is no one right way to design a course; different pieces of land lend themselves to different designs. I've said before that I like the course. You use the terms boring and useless which are not very descriptive when describing a disc golf course.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 12:55:49 PM

ccs wrote:

There is no one right way to design a course; different pieces of land lend themselves to different designs. I've said before that I like the course. You use the terms boring and useless which are not very descriptive when describing a disc golf course.

=======================================================================
Finny,
You are steppin' on some toes with your strong negative language in regard to AJ Jolly.
JMO...
======================================================================

Thanks CCS for noticing and "speaking" up.

John,
If I was taking offense I would not have called you Finny.
If you designed a course would you like to hear general critcism (i.e. boring/useless) or specific/constructive ways to improve the course.
BTW, I cannot take offense for I did not design Jolly, but I more than respect the person who did - and I respect you as well.thumbsup
-No harm done to me.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 1:14:16 PM

Great advice for sure ccs, thank you. The course design isn't the problem for me, given that property that course is what I would hope achieve. The fairways are almost entirely wide open off the tee. AJ Jolly makes good use of the existing topography-some fast greens. As far as redeisgn it wouldn't need too change it but to add to the course as is. Who was the designer-Fred?

Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 2:17:23 PM

You should have seen it before we redesigned it. My theory behind AJ was a place to work on our rollers, long and open holes. How many holes can you think of that you can actually roll on in this area?  AND, how many players can actually roll a disc over 400 ft in this neck of the woods. Not many...
ccs
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 2:44:03 PM

I know this is way off topic but....
I think a lot of players who have started in the last 4 years or so don't throw rollers. This might be due to the advent of distance drivers. If the grass is short at AJ I might throw a roller on 1,18 and sometimes on 16.
BrandonBradshaw
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 3:27:47 PM

Aj Jolly is cooler than the other side of the pillow!
agentdozzer
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 4:10:47 PM

I cant throw rollers because i have never really tried. After playing in a group with Bob i want to learn but i cannot control which way the roll goes and usally stick with a air shot. Dont think i ever seen a four hundred foot roller.  I agree that pride is a good wooded course gives me a chance to see what courses in the seventies were like. It is so thick you must be very precise if the fairways were defined you would have to add length.
dramey12
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 4:34:23 PM

What type of shape is Pride Park in?  Does it have concrete tee-pads? 
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2008 5:34:09 PM

I haven't played Pride ironically enough because the group i went with chose AJ over Pride.

There were not more than ten true course in the world in the seventies; so, courses didn't look like Pride much-we used Frisbees back then...oh, my back. Most folks played object golf Flip City in Northern Michigan was one such course that is now a beautiful basket course.

Rollers? Oh, yeah haven't thrown too many around here, save hole 9 Mt. Airy. Fred I'll check out AJ in the Fall when the grass is flattened.