Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

June GCFDA meeting Options
Liz
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 11:17:12 AM

The GCFDA meeting in June will be at the Silverton Cafe - 7203 Mongtomery Rd - 7:00 pm on Monday, June 9th. 
Liz
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2008 9:55:14 AM

Bump
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:28:02 PM

So, what happened at the club meeting last night?
I asked the club for a donation to present to Scott Erke on Saturday to help with his medical expenses and also asked to see how much the club wants to be involved with the Mt Airy course improvement such as new tee pads, sleeves, benches and other things I have planned. Mainly financial assistance to pay for concrete and other things needed to complete the job, we'll be doing most of the work.
I couldn't go to the meeting cause Bob, Kevin and I were cleaning up the Idlewild mess from the recent rains.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:52:34 PM

And boy was it sticky!!!
The wound to my head probably helps my appearance - Ha-Ha.
Rachel "helped" a little too...
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:06:08 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:
So, what happened at the club meeting last night? I asked the club for a donation to present to Scott Erke on Saturday to help with his medical expenses and also asked to see how much the club wants to be involved with the Mt Airy course improvement such as new tee pads, sleeves, benches and other things I have planned. Mainly financial assistance to pay for concrete and other things needed to complete the job, we'll be doing most of the work. I couldn't go to the meeting cause Bob, Kevin and I were cleaning up the Idlewild mess from the recent rains.

We voted to give $50 to Scott Erke...

We decided that you (or Adam) need to come to a meeting and present the plan for repairs, etc for Mt. Airy and then we could vote on what we would assist in financially.

Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:22:37 PM

$50 Bucks! that should be good for an aspirin or two. Thanks

Improvements I need to see will be several new tee pads(5), sleeves for every hole approximately 34, benches on every hole, regalvanizing the baskets and chain assembly this winter, and whatever improvements Adam wants to make. Keep the check book open.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:39:07 AM

Fred,
What is the park funding? What are there plans for the course? Will this be a joint effort with them? If the answer to all of these are either "I don't know" or "no", then should we spend money on Airy?

What do we do with the rest of the courses? Should we spend equal amounts on every course? What makes Airy special in that we spend money there?

Couldn't the parks provide the concrete and we have a work day to install the new pads?
Couldn't the parks provide the sleeves and we install those? (BTW 34 sounds like a large a number for an 18 hole course)
I think that you should work with the boy scouts on benches... OR can the parks provide the materials and we build them?

Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:52:48 AM

andersab wrote:
Fred, What is the park funding? What are there plans for the course? Will this be a joint effort with them? If the answer to all of these are either "I don't know" or "no", then should we spend money on Airy? What do we do with the rest of the courses? Should we spend equal amounts on every course? What makes Airy special in that we spend money there? Couldn't the parks provide the concrete and we have a work day to install the new pads? Couldn't the parks provide the sleeves and we install those? (BTW 34 sounds like a large a number for an 18 hole course) I think that you should work with the boy scouts on benches... OR can the parks provide the materials and we build them?

Brad, the way I understand it is that the course is the responsibility of the club.  That is the reason the parks let the club put the course in at Mt Airy in the first place. I think there might even be a contract with the parks but not positive on that.  
 Adam knows more about what the parks can and won't do.  I'll call him and let him post what he knows here. 
We will do what we can to get the parks to pay for the majority of the costs but they're not too happy with the way the club has maintained the course in the last few years.  He's really pissed about old 7 and 8, not happy about #3 which will have to be shortened so it can grow back and #16 as well.
On the sleeves, you just can't put one sleeve in per hole otherwise what would be the purpose of using a sleeve.  You need at least two per hole to move the basket around to keep erosion down.  There is already a sleeve on #9 and #3(which I haven't been compensated for) and there are no sleeves on any other holes.   So 34 sleeves will be needed.
The bottom line is I am going to have to make some changes to the course in order to bring it back and keep the parks happy.  All current pin positions(with new sleeves) will stay except for #5 and #6.  Alternate pins will be added to all holes and rotated on a regular basis once the work is complete and erosion is controlled.
If the club wants to be involved, fine.  If not that's fine too.
Mt Airy is the best known course in Cincinnati. It is in the top ten lists of several of the best players in the world. When someone comes to "The Nati" to visit they don't go to Woodland Mound to play disc golf they go to Mr Airy, where the course will kick your butt and you know it.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:16:29 PM

I guess the club should have a meeting to decide if we still want to try and maintain the course... Or we can do that during our August meeting. But I would be more interested to see what the club signed many moons ago(if its not expired), someone out there must have some recollection.

I love mt. airy and would love to volunteer my time and labor.  I just don't think that we should be held financially responsible for public park land.  Plus, where it is located should definitely lend itself to a good number of volunteers (I would hope).

If the club is going to be held financially responsible for the course, then maybe we just play on the other 20+ courses that we have.  I love Airy but I still don't understand how its the club's responsibility to maintain something on city land...  The next thing you know, we'll be paying for a lawn mowing service out there.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:57:12 PM

Who should pay for course improvements? This is why pay to play must be the future of Disc Golf-the rec players should pay as well as the Club members and the tax payer shouldn't have to. These courses are played more often by folks that will never pay club membership fees. Perhaps, we should form Disc Golf gangs and roam the course extorting money from rec players but, until then somebody has to pay for course improvements. I have stated this before but here goes-the club encompasses to large an area to be able to service each course. Each course needs a sub-club that can be responsible for the upkeep, running weekly events, and even leagues at their course. Then the GCFDA won't be overwhelmed by the prospect of what to do with these old courses that are falling apart naturally and prematurely.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:04:00 PM

Nice recommendation John
KevinB
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:44:10 PM

finnhawc wrote:
I have stated this before but here goes-the club encompasses to large an area to be able to service each course. Each course needs a sub-club that can be responsible for the upkeep, running weekly events, and even leagues at their course. Then the GCFDA won't be overwhelmed by the prospect of what to do with these old courses that are falling apart naturally and prematurely.

That's what they do in the Chicago area.
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:55:30 PM

How many different areas do they represent? How many groups?
KevinB
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:06:52 PM

andersab wrote:
How many different areas do they represent? How many groups?

At least four groups to my knowledge, representing different suburban areas.
mikekem
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:34:56 PM

Maybe I'm missing something but the Mt. Airy Parks  seem wishywashy when it comes to maintenance. They wouldn't let us clean up new 6 but they won't clean it up either. They won't let gravel be placed on the walk ways. For the amount of traffic that disc golf brings to Mt. Airy I would think the parks would be ecstatic with the sport of disc golf. I'm more than willing to help out (in labor) to maintain the park but what does the park do with all its money? But like I said maybe I'm missing something.
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:15:10 PM

How many of you have called or written a letter or email to the Cincinnati Parks Director or Cincinnati City Manager or Mayor? Probably only a couple. Let a playground go ugly or vandalized, a tennis net cut down, dog park need maintenance, or a trail be eroded and the parks have no problem shelling out money. How much money do they spend on flowers and landscaping? Big money. Why? Because if these things deteriorate THOSE PEOPLE CALL AND COMPLAIN or letters to the editor show up in the paper. Disc golfers don't call anyone or make their cause known to the powers that can make things happen.

Maybe it's time to get Cincinnati Recreation Department get involved in disc golf, if the Parks won't maintain the course. Look how many tennis courts are maintained in this city for a handful of players. Look at Mt. Airy on a Tuesday night when every parking spot is full and people are forced to park in the grass. Of course, at those times, the Parks employees and managers are home. They drive through during the day when the course is empty and scratch their heads wondering how can a few players fill up those garbage cans with bottles from illegal-in-the-parks beer.

Even if the parks refuse to maintain or improve the course - I don't believe they'd hava a problem contributing materials - like gravel and pipe. I still believe that the Club money should only go for things that are above or beyond what a park should maintain.
KevinB
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:38:51 PM

pcaldwell wrote:
How many of you have called or written a letter or email to the Cincinnati Parks Director or Cincinnati City Manager or Mayor? Probably only a couple. Let a playground go ugly or vandalized, a tennis net cut down, dog park need maintenance, or a trail be eroded and the parks have no problem shelling out money. How much money do they spend on flowers and landscaping? Big money. Why? Because if these things deteriorate THOSE PEOPLE CALL AND COMPLAIN or letters to the editor show up in the paper. Disc golfers don't call anyone or make their cause known to the powers that can make things happen.

Pete,
I couldn't agree more. 
It's amazing what a well versed letter or phone call can do, especially in numbers.  If anyone saw Idlewild a few weeks ago and now today, it goes to show what good communication can do with park officials.  Not discounting those adopt a hole folks that have been keeping the course nice, but it seems the park department is stepping up to the plate in the next couple of weeks to make sure the county disc golf courses are taken care of.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:29:24 AM

I am leaving in 2 min for Am Nats and will add to this thread when I get back, but We all need to staop talkin about doing and get out there and do it.
More to come soon.
GStrick
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:55:01 AM

Good luck at Am's Adam. By the time you read this, I hope you did well.

I have a new, New Years Resolution. I will carry a garbage bag around with me every time I play a course for fun. If I see some trash I will pick it up. If I see someone trashing the place I will lay my vengeance upon thee. If I see something like a broken basket, busted tee pad or bench I will write an email.

You are right, we need to stop talkin and start doing. But this back and forth talk is funny. Parks or the Club, I need money, they don't care... This sport is getting too political. Can't we all just get along and play some golf? I guess the sport is too popular. Many play, not enough pay. This is going to be an area of debate for years to come so we need to get used to it.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:27:01 AM

finnhawc wrote:
Who should pay for course improvements? This is why pay to play must be the future of Disc Golf-the rec players should pay as well as the Club members and the tax payer shouldn't have to. These courses are played more often by folks that will never pay club membership fees. Perhaps, we should form Disc Golf gangs and roam the course extorting money from rec players but, until then somebody has to pay for course improvements. I have stated this before but here goes-the club encompasses to large an area to be able to service each course. Each course needs a sub-club that can be responsible for the upkeep, running weekly events, and even leagues at their course. Then the GCFDA won't be overwhelmed by the prospect of what to do with these old courses that are falling apart naturally and prematurely.

John, I proposed to make Mt Airy pay for play but the parks didn't bite.  Now that it looks like the pro shop at Mt Airy is going in one of my agreements to the parks is to maintain the course which includes everything but the mowing.  That is why I am asking the club how much they want to get involved.  I spent hundreds of my own money at Idlewild and I don't really want to do it again at Mt Airy but I will in order to get it looking the best it has ever looked. 
andersab
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:45:31 AM

How about a fundraiser?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:27:25 PM

Forget it!
13ruce-1337
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 7:40:10 PM

Bottom line .. its the parks department that should be fiscally responsible for up keeping a city park. (YES THIS MEANS TAX DOLLARS .. THATS WHY I PAY THEM) If this park director dude can't or won't do his job then we need to think about getting someone who will. Pay to Play is a poor idea. There is plenty of money spent on other crap .. like flowers, playgrounds, ect... when it comes down to it .. disc golf offers much more bang for the buck then almost any other investment. So i agree with a letter to the department or perhaps newspaper to cut the political bullcrap and get this stuff done. I would also be willing to donate my time to keep this landmark course on the map. There's my 2 cents .. flame on.
perica
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:53:08 AM

Fred Salaz wrote:

Now that it looks like the pro shop at Mt Airy is going in one of my agreements to the parks is to maintain the course which includes everything but the mowing.  That is why I am asking the club how much they want to get involved.  

what are your other agreements?
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:08:32 AM

13ruce-1337 wrote:
Bottom line .. its the parks department that should be fiscally responsible for up keeping a city park. (YES THIS MEANS TAX DOLLARS .. THATS WHY I PAY THEM) If this park director dude can't or won't do his job then we need to think about getting someone who will. Pay to Play is a poor idea. There is plenty of money spent on other crap .. like flowers, playgrounds, ect... when it comes down to it .. disc golf offers much more bang for the buck then almost any other investment. So i agree with a letter to the department or perhaps newspaper to cut the political bullcrap and get this stuff done. I would also be willing to donate my time to keep this landmark course on the map. There's my 2 cents .. flame on.

Why is pay to play a poor idea? If you charged $1 or $2 per round or have a daily charge it would go a long way toward a fund to have the course be self-suficient and leave any politics out when it comes to course changes. It is the future of the sport if we ever want money in the game. Keep most courses free and charge a nominal fee at the premium courses.