Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

June GCFDA meeting Options
13ruce-1337
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:50:34 PM

finnhawc wrote:

Why is pay to play a poor idea? If you charged $1 or $2 per round or have a daily charge it would go a long way toward a fund to have the course be self-suficient and leave any politics out when it comes to course changes. It is the future of the sport if we ever want money in the game. Keep most courses free and charge a nominal fee at the premium courses.

I pay city taxes already.. thats 600 a year just to live here.   Your telling me they can't spend some of that money on park up keep?  Especially since its likely the most used park in cincinnati thats not run by hamilton county!  HOGWASH !  
I play Mt.Airy 5 or 6 times a week.. that is alot of money over a year .. about 300 dollars.
berto
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:02:42 PM

What about woodland mound?   It is a pay to play course.... They use stickers...... 5$ a year or 3$ a day........ I think there could be some kind of a pass for the year that could be implimented........ 5 dollars a year or some such..... When I used to go shoot, I went to  an ohio wildlife range.... a public place.... which required a 6 dollar a year pass for access........  It was well maintained and had a range master on duty....
I also think the club has a rare opportunity to bring this awesome course up to date and make it a shinning example of what disc golf in cincinnati is about.... After moving away I have gained some  perspective on it and our club is one of the best....  The best people, and the best places to play......  I understand both arguments.... I don't think the club should be expected to do it all..... I don't think anyone is saying that....... I do think that a one time appropriation of some funds is needed to show our dedication and commitment to keeping mt. airy up to par... any ammount that when lumped in with fred and the parks could do some real good for all of us....  Also ,  Fred  , what is wrong with a fundraiser...... the club should not only take donations, but should hold an event or a cook out or whatever to get the players involved for a good and worthy cause....  I know that the desire, know how, and manpower are already there to make any renovations needed....  So why not focus on getting some cash for materials.....    Hell you could sell some permanant sponsership signs for individual holes, for those willing to be generous..... Maybe a sign with a list of people who donated to this project  could be put in by ones tee..... I bet disc n dat would be in to the publicity..... and I bet a few others..... 
Once the course is redone, then impliment the same adopt a hole program that was implimented at idlewilde....  Go to the parks with the plan to have a voulenteer for every hole put in time each week..... move the pins to keep down erosion..... pick up trash and so forth....  everone wins.... 
Michi
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:09:21 PM

Guys, sorry, but I am very pessimistic about these types of threads being realized and acted upon, instead of just online conversation pieces. I recognize that I am not a GCFDA member and don't participate in much improvement projects (beyond cleaning up the parks, etc.), but I think the opinions of rec players and non-members is essential to growing this sport. Let me give you an example.

I started playing this sport in Columbus. I was extremely unhappy to pay Blendon a fee only for that course. When I came back to Cincinnati, I found Hamilton County courses like Woodland Mound and Emshoff, and was happy to pay to be able to pay 1 fee and take advantage of what the Parks had to offer. Now, no one can argue that anywhere between $5-10 per year to play all of the courses in 1 county is expensive vis-a-vis the price of a disc.

Put our your feelers and find out what the average person's threshold is, because I tell you, the average rec player does not see this thread.
agentdozzer
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:45:15 PM

Let me say first that i am not a club member, so take my opionion or not. The problem with the pay for play at Airy is that it is a park, that you dont need a pass to enter. If you drive in say im going for a walk who would know that you started golfing at hole ten where no one would notice. To make it a pay for play course it would have to be a pay to enter park. I wish airy would be redesigned cause i am not to found of it. It is hard but not fun like Idle wild. I shoot decent there but none of the holes make me want to play there again the next time i play, pretty much all of the other course i play have holes that i cant wait to play again. When i think of Airy none come to mind, this course to me is like boone woods useless. Not to say it is as easy as boone its just not any fun to play like boone. I like courses that are hard I have been to idle wild more than any where else this year and i enjoy Jenny Willey. As for money in the game i could do with out it money makes the best things in life the worst.
finnhawc
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:41:50 PM

Again, Chad what is wrong with pay to play?
KevinB
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 12:42:02 AM

I'm assuming pay to play places would have tags to put on your bag or person, so that rangers or course employees would be able to indentify those that have paid their daily fee.
That is how a place I have been works.
Edgebrook Disc Golf Course in Chicago is a pay per play facility, take a look at these green fees. I highly doubt that anyone around here is even thinking of this expensive.
http://www.forestpreservegolf.com/view.asp?id=109&page=8402
Kool Keith
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 1:03:12 AM

Pay-to-play in Hamilton Co parks way is okay in my book - I kinda wish that Boone County would implement something like that for our parks. Maybe give you a sticker when you pay your county taxes every year, and sell the additionals/non-residents stickers to get into the park. More money in the park budget, greater resources to maintain and improve facilities. Then, non-residents and others get to help out with keeping our parks "destinations" instead of just another generic greenspace.

Getting the City of Cincinnati to implement something like this is going to be NEXT to impossible, but.... you never know unless you try. Woody Allen said 80% of success is just showing up.

That would be cool, wouldn't it?
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 10:21:17 AM

That is a special course-on a ball golf course with carts and rangers, etc. Hudson Mills always required a $20 yearly pass-and this year started a special disc golf pass at $50/year $5/day in order to stem vandalism and general mayhem on the course. It turns out that many of the local High School students were skipping class for disc. Where feasible (future parks) it would be a good idea to start a nominal charge.
berto
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 9:35:27 PM

what about the fundraiser idea? The pay to play Idea may take time to institute and has no easy answer as to how to do it..... However a fundraiser can be implemented quickly and can meet the need for supplies, and such now... Once the course is all refurbished, the adopt a hole program could keep it from going backward... we need to start a mt. airy revitalization fund and start collecting donations and perhaps solicit some donations.... I would be willing to donate a small amount to start it off... ( I got twenty on it ) I know it would take more than that but, If enough people kick something in and the club has a cook out or something It could add up..... I have enjoyed many days playing disc golf at that park and personally I would welcome a way to give back and help it to reach the potential we all know it has.......

So brad... any thoughts on a willingness for a club sponsored fund raiser??
13ruce-1337
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 9:44:30 PM

Agent dozer .. if you dont like airy .. your not ready for competitive golf. Mt. Airy is the best course in OHIO hands down .. i look forward to every single hole every time.. my 2 cents ..
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:56:02 AM

Its one of the only recreational things to do, THATS FREE, and thats why i, and probably many other students, started playing! If you really want this sport to grow, i dont think your going to be able to do it by forcing people to pay to play in a public park that they pay 600.00 a year to use. Thats not the answer, i think money is going to have to be supplied by the players that are more involved in the game, not the guys that come for a casual round every now and then... And if you do the pay to play, your going to have to have somebody working the "entrance", to collect the money, and you think hes going to do that for FREE? And maybe somebody roaming the course, to make sure everyone has payed, when them two men could be working on getting a hole in better shape, and feeling like they are actually doing something to better the course!!!
Michi
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:11:42 PM

see, this lack of support is exactly why Cincinnati remains off of the radar. everyone is so concerned with a little money coming out of their pocket that we can't even maintain what we have, let alone grow. THE PARKS NEED OUR MONEY! there is no other way around it. the only other alternative is to raise taxes and I don't see any reason for someone who doesn't play the sport to pay for it. have some freaking pride in your community. what is it going to take for people to appreciate what they have before it's gone. yeah, it's fine to talk big about our courses, but when someone comes around with the donation basket, ohhh, let's stop and think it over. find something really pivotal to fight over. 1 less six pack or pack of smokes would do most of you a lot of good.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:23:12 PM

****, i know one less six pack will just put me in a bad mood for that day!!! J/k but in all honesty MICHI, we already pay the parks department enough of our hard earned money, why do we need to give them more, so they can buy more bullets, so the cops can go out to the park and have a field day and shoot a bunch of deer because we are stealing all of there land. BTW, whats really that bad with MT. Airy, that it needs all of this money? I think its a pretty damn good course! All that it needs is volunteers, and maybe a few lawn materials!
GStrick
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:30:24 PM

I started playing this crazy sport because it was cheap, easy and fun. I don't even play competitively and I have found that after a few years it is almost none of the above.

My $0.02 is have the parks pay. It is unfair for the club to give money to one course, unless you can prove that course is played or enjoyed more than the others.

Or have a tourney fundraiser. Two rounds, twenty bucks plus lunch. Give away some free plastic to the winner. You could even make it a Grand Opening celebration for that new club house. Lets say you get 30 people to show up, 600 minus the plastic, plus your profit from lunch. Proceeds go to the upkeep of Airy. I'd play/donate. I believe this is a good way to ask those who play the course to help out.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:38:07 PM

No, pay to play would only be for the top courses where feasible. Mt.Airy doesn't seem like the best place to start it( with all the entry points) but, maybe Fred could put an Airy Donation cup out with a proceeds gauranteed to be used on the course. The fund raising idea is the most positive direction I can think of right now.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:53:13 PM

Um .. Michi .. cincinnati is on the map as a mecca for discgolfers bro .. and i stand by the belief that im already paying for upkeep of local parks with tax dollars ... not my fault they choose to spend unwisely. no need to raise taxes anymore .. just budget disc golf course upkeep into the figures .. like i said .. its quite cheep to put in a course and maintain considering the dollar to amount of recreation ratio. I agree club should be involved .. but perhaps in an advisory role rather then a fiscal role.

And as far as GROWTH is concerned .. we opend 5 new courses in the last 2 years .. is that not sufficent growth ?.. if i were a gambling man .. (and i am) i would wager NO other city within 200 miles has seen that much GROWTH.  Get your facts straight before you rant.

Monroe
Mason
Williamsburg (extra holes)
Turtle Creek (extra holes)
Gulley
Heritage

edge
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:26:21 PM

As far as fundraising goes, I like t-shirts and/or custom stamped discs. There are a lot of us that play all the time but are not club members. I would gladly buy and proudly wear a GCFDA t-shirt
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:53:14 PM

I agree with EDGE!!!
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 8:31:07 PM

In the past 20 years many donations have been made to courses' parent park organizations i.e. Hamilton County, City of Cincinnati, Boone County, Kenton County, etc., by the GCFDA after course challenge events.
Also, many club members over the past 2 to 3 decades have donated baskets (see #4 at Airy, BTW), tee signs, hundreds of hours of volunteer time, etc., to improve local disc golf.
LET'S stop typing about it and get out there and JUST DO IT!!!
Dellahyam
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:00:41 PM

13ruce-1337 wrote:
Um .. Michi .. cincinnati is on the map as a mecca for discgolfers bro .. and i stand by the belief that im already paying for upkeep of local parks with tax dollars ... not my fault they choose to spend unwisely. no need to raise taxes anymore .. just budget disc golf course upkeep into the figures .. like i said .. its quite cheep to put in a course and maintain considering the dollar to amount of recreation ratio. I agree club should be involved .. but perhaps in an advisory role rather then a fiscal role.

And as far as GROWTH is concerned .. we opend 5 new courses in the last 2 years .. is that not sufficent growth ?.. if i were a gambling man .. (and i am) i would wager NO other city within 200 miles has seen that much GROWTH.  Get your facts straight before you rant.

Monroe
Mason
Williamsburg (extra holes)
Turtle Creek (extra holes)
Gulley
Heritage

and Cincinnati State. Thanks Paul
FattyJ
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:25:18 PM

This thread sounds too much like an excercise in political philosophy. Can I just stick to throwing round plastic into metal baskets? Or must I give my diatribe now.
GStrick
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:31:05 AM

Lets hear it Fatty...

and what's the deal with diatribe? I guess we learned a new word. Discussion boards are for discussions/debates right? Pour it on!!!

Dellahyam
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:39:30 AM

How much is it to become a member?
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:06:07 AM

Dellahyam wrote:
How much is it to become a member?

A member of what?  PDGA?  GCFDA?

PDGA = variable based on your division

GCFDA = $10 / year
FattyJ
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:15:24 AM

GStrick wrote:
Lets hear it Fatty... and what's the deal with diatribe? I guess we learned a new word. Discussion boards are for discussions/debates right? Pour it on!!!

As much as I would like to fan the flames I think it is best that this discussion be hashed out in person at the next club meeting.  Before I give my 2 cents I would like to know the full spectrum of what is going on(e.g. what arrangements exactly do we have with the parks in question, etc.).