Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

June GCFDA meeting Options
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:26:06 PM

The thread is only about the meeting-the drift is about who should be responsible for the upkeep of courses and then more recently if pay to play is a viable option for the future of disc golf. I had asked two other times what is wrong with pay to play-no direct answers on that. Truth is Disc Golf is better off when we demonstrate we are willing to spend money to play. I have no voice at the meeting and intend to shed my perspective on the subjects likely talked about at the meeting. Take what is useful, leave the rest...
FattyJ
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:03:04 PM

finnhawc wrote:
The thread is only about the meeting-the drift is about who should be responsible for the upkeep of courses and then more recently if pay to play is a viable option for the future of disc golf. I had asked two other times what is wrong with pay to play-no direct answers on that. Truth is Disc Golf is better off when we demonstrate we are willing to spend money to play. I have no voice at the meeting and intend to shed my perspective on the subjects likely talked about at the meeting. Take what is useful, leave the rest...

As for who is responsible for course upkeep it would be nice to know exactly that.  Who is responsible?  I imagine it varies by course but knowing explicitely who is responsible for each courses upkeep would help in this matter.  As for pay to play courses it definately works in some situations but maybe not all situations.  I say we get a firmer grip on who is responsible, make those responsible for upkeep accountable for it, and go from there.  Like many have said before I think the best thing we as a disc golf community can do is participate.  By this I mean contacting park managers, going to public park meetings etc. and making our collective voice be heard.  I would imagine that this along with enough people kind enough to volunteer their own time for things like work days at courses could very well be enough to solve the course upkeep issue with little to no added money being needed from either fees to play courses or fundraising.  First we educate ourselves on the situation then we can deal with the logistics of solving any problems/issues.  My 3 cents.

FattyJ
LStephens
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:06:17 AM

I thought I'd wait for a few facts before I commented on the Pay for Play arguement.  First I believe that Pay for Play courses need to be BUILT.  However, they shouldn't be retrofitted to existing courses due to their inability to limit access.  I have a Hamilton County Parks Pass for only $5 and if it was $20 for the entire year I wouldn't care if I could specify that $15 of that went to Disc Golf exclusively.  Maybe we should float that idea...a raise in the parks pass fee with the purchaser having the right to elect where that funding goes.  That would give instant feedback.

Anyway.  My buddy Chad has argued that he pays $600 in taxes and that should buy a basket or two.  However, I need to ask a few questions and lay out a few facts.

Question:

1. Is that Payroll tax or Property Tax?

I assume it is Payroll tax and if so the money sent to the Parks Department will be less than Property Taxes.

2.  Is any of that money going to Hamilton County?

From my Norwood pay stubs...all my tax money went to Norwood and none to Hamilton County...last I checked, Norwood had ZERO disc golf.

Ok...time for some facts:

The county taxes about 94.8 cents of every $100 of assessed value. So let's say a tax bill of $948/year on a $100,000 home...at ASSESSED value and not BANK value or SALE value or APPRAISED value...the tax man does things different....thank goodness the TAX value is generally much lower than current market value.

Now...of that $948/year that a $100,000 home pays in property taxes... about 59.2 cents goes to schools..and only about 6.5 cents goes to Parks and Recreation. So, on that $100,000 home with a $948 tax bill...$61.62 for Parks & Recreation.  Now, we get to how that money is divided amongst all the needs of the Parks.  We as Disc Golfers are wanting a larger share of the pie than other sports and activities.

After getting much data from my friend Lyle McCoon...who happens to be the Programming Director for the Nicholasville/Jassamine County Parks & Recreation Department... I've learned that most counties do NOT devote 2.5% of that Parks budget to Disc Golf like they do...because our park employees and directors aren't disc golfers.  So let's use that 2.5% on the $61.62.  Disc golf in Nicholasville is getting $1.54....but HOW MUCH IS HAMILTON COUNTY DISC GOLFERS GETTING?  These are the questions we need to ask the Parks Department.  Just how much of this pie are we getting?...and why?