Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Kentucky State Single Championship Options
Sweetriver
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:14:39 PM

i don't know why. that course is child's play. the trick is getting the lowest possible score on every hole.
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:00:08 PM

You hit the nail right on the head as far as low turnout is concerned.

Holiday weekend, plus a rock-star tourney the next day certainly hurts attendance. Not to mention 2 rounds at one of the toughest/longest/most taxing courses around in the hottest month of the year.

It's still a great tourney tho! Kevin B, I've got some hole sponsorship for you.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 9:09:28 AM

I think lots of people feel it out to see what the weather's going to be. Holiday weekend definitely is a factor (I've got something else going on that Saturday)...plus, with the price of gas-and the fact that there are a million tournaments throughout the season-people are forced to pick and choose.
KevinB
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 1:20:10 PM

If you haven't noticed this seems to be an ongoing theme with me.....

Please note this change:  All Preregistered Players will receive an Idlewild Disc Golf Course reusable beverage bottle.

The bottle is not as hard as it appears, like Nalgene, but nonetheless makes a sporty looking, handy reusable bottle.

The AM Players Pack is growing a bit and all preregistered AM's will receive a players pack.

Preregistration will conclude at 9am, Friday the 4th of July.

Rob J
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:52:43 PM

Good deal that everyone including Pros will receive a bottle, Kev. If interest is high maybe you can get some made up that are Nalgene that say Idlewild on them. Personally i like the idea of putting "Pro Par 72" on them (what is recreational par at Banklick -- 100?) 

annouce This will be my last event with Idlewild as my home course as i will be moving to Indianapolis. Hope to see everyone there.

remember -- lunch is included with entry fee and will be delivered to the course for you!
KevinB
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 11:51:03 AM

Thanks to Keith & Missy Dailey for their very generous $25 sponsorship of the Kentucky State Singles Championships.

Preregistration ends at 9AM Friday at www.IdlewildDiscGolf.com.

We will also be taking sign ups tomorrow night at the Tuesday Night Ace Fund at Idlewild.
KevinB
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:23:47 AM

These people....aren't afraid of the course, the 4th hangover, or both.

Preregister today at www.IdlewildDiscGolf.com or 6pm out at the course for the Ace Fund.
KevinB
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:23:16 AM

Hear ye, hear ye!  This just in...

The Players Pack for all preregistered AMS is now set to include a Idlewild Disc Golf Course reusable beverage bottle, your choice (from a selection on hand) of a Champion plastic Innova disc, and a Idlewild Disc Golf Course T-Shirt.  A few other goodies might make there way in between now and then.

All preregistered Pros will receive a Idlewild Disc Golf Course reusable beverage bottle.

If you plan on coming out to play in Kentucky States, you are going to want to preregister at www.IdlewildDiscGolf.com.  It's now been a slow trickle of people coming in, so secure your spot and players pack now.  The forecast calls for a nice day, so as our friends at Florence Y'all Gyros & Wings would say, "Come one, come y'all!"

In other news, Fred Salaz was sighted playing in the Ace Fund last night with the new bionic foot.  It might be in a bucket of ice this morning, but it was good to see him back on the foot, with a twinkle in his eye, ripping off ridiculous forehands and his typical, fighting through the fir tree in the pond on hole two and parking it from down in the hole left of the fairway, lucky...oh, I mean, skill shots.
He was so excited to be back out there throwing, he wanted to invite everyone playing in the KY States on Saturday to stick around afterwards, he'll be grilling up some Chicago style hot dogs on the grill.

Preregistration ends Friday, the 4th of July at 9am at www.IdlewildDiscGolf.com
You will not receive a players pack if you have not preregistered.

Thanks goes out to our sponsors.
The Nati Disc Golf
The Equalizer
Florence Y'all Gyros & Wings
Boone County Parks
Papa John's Pizza
Mike McGue
Liz & Ben Shooner
Keith & Missy Dailey
Matthew Blakely
Greater Cincinnati Flying Disc Association
Ameristop Store #29052
Innova Disc Golf
Rafferty's
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:18:16 AM

Looks like Am.s will get a sweet player's pack IF they pre-register read ...

and Pros will get a sweet Idlewild water bottle if they pre-register too.

+ the course has never looked better. +

annouce celebrate the right to let those sweet babies soar and be there July 5th! egyptian

Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:59:17 AM

Rob J wrote:

+ the course has never looked better. +

I'd like to echo that-the place looks great.
Also-it's amazing how the removal of brush/etc. actually makes the course MORE difficult. Honeysuckle, branches, and undergrowth can help keep errant shots (esp. rollers) closer to the fairway...when they're gone-those babies can end up WAY off course!

pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 6:09:03 PM

I think just the opposite...that the more the rough/honeysuckle is cleared from the edge of the fairways, it makes it easier. Before, a disc that went left or right off of a fairway, would hit some crap pretty early and either get stuck or fall beneath a honeysuckle bush or vine mess. The only shot was usually a reach out/reverse stance attempt to get some distance, assuming you could extend out far enough to reach the fairway alley. Very often the only choice was to pitch back, forward or backward 10, 20 or 30 feet and hope that would set you up for another throw.

Now - many drives are going off the fairways, 10 or more feet, and hitting a hard tree, and bouncing back toward the fairway. And, in MOST cases, a drive landing off of the old fairway will leave a decent chance at a reasonable throw forward. I know last night, I had a bunch of 2nd and 3rd throws that would have been impossible only a year or so ago. I can't tell you how many bad drives I've seen end up ok, or at least the player can still get a par or low bogie. In previous years, a bad drive was bogie or multiple bogie. The odds of a second shot making significant forward progress out of the rough has gone WAY up. It still is fun to play, but the spread on the hole scores has narrowed - look at #5 and #6, #13 and #14 - you aren't seeing the pros take 6, 7, 8 or 9 on them, anymore. In my last few rounds there I've seen a bunch of bad drives yield 4's and 5's.
KevinB
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 9:12:15 AM

24 HOURS LEFT TO PREREGISTER TO RECEIVE PLAYERS PACK.  
THANKS TO ALL THAT HAVE DONE SO AND WE'LL SEE Y'ALL ON SATURDAY MORNING. 
HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY 4TH OF JULY.

2008 KENTUCKY STATE DISC GOLF CHAMPIONSHIPS

SINGLES AT IDLEWILD – Saturday, JULY 5, 2008

PDGA Sanctioned B Tier

$500.00 ADDED TO PRO PURSE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWO ROUNDS at IDLEWILD DISC GOLF COURSE
First Round From The Short Tees & Baskets
Second Round From The Long Tees & Baskets

Field Limited To 72 Players
MUST BE A CURRENT PDGA MEMBER OR PAY ADDITIONAL $10 NON-MEMBER FEE

PREREGISTRATION AT WWW.IDLEWILDDISCGOLF.COM  CONCLUDES AT 9AM FRIDAY, JULY 4TH.

ENTRY FEES:
PRO OPEN MEN - $55.00
PRO MASTER - $45.00
PRO GRANDMASTER $45.00
PRO WOMEN - $40.00 
ADVANCED - $35.00

INTERMEDIATE- $35.00
RECREATIONAL-$30.00

Must Have 4 To Open a Division

PIZZA & SOFT DRINK LUNCH, AT THE COURSE, IS INCLUDED WITH ALL ENTRY FEES

PREREGISTERED AM PLAYERS RECEIVE IDLEWILD DISC GOLF COURSE WATER BOTTLE, CHOICE OF INNOVA CHAMPION DISC (FROM SELECTION ON HAND), AND IDLEWILD T-SHIRT AS PLAYERS PACK.

ALL PREREGISTERED PROS RECEIVE IDLEWILD DISC GOLF COURSE WATER BOTTLE.

CHECK IN AT SHELTER BY HOLE #3 TEE ~ 7:00AM to 8:15AM
PLAYERS MEETING AT 8:30 AM, TEE OFF AT 9:00 AM

PREREGISTRATION IS AVAILABLE VIA PAYPAL AT WWW.IDLEWILDDISCGOLF.COM UNTIL 9AM, FRIDAY, JULY 4TH.

KevinB
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 11:22:19 PM

A flurry of preregistrations tonight for Kentucky State Singles.

The forecast now calls for sunny and high of 80ish.  I hope that holds, that would be awesome!

You have until 9am July 4th to preregister and receive a players pack.  www.IdlewildDiscGolf.com

Thanks again to the sponsors that are helping us out.  Thanks to anyone that picked up a piece of trash from the course or threw a branch off the fairway while playing, the course is looking really good. 
If weather holds off tomorrow, I'm going to try and get out there to get a few fresh cuts with a mower.  shhh  I've even done a little pruning to clear up a few routes.

Between KY States and Deuce or Die skull , the region has a lot of good disc golf to look forward to this weekend.
KevinB
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 9:37:37 PM

The 2008 Kentucky State Singles Championships at Idlewild on Saturday were dedicated to the memory of Darrell Lynn, 1958-2008.  Here is a some information regarding Mr. Lynn, from Ted Smethers, that I want to pass along.  Ted Smethers, PDGA# 1159, is a former commissioner of the PDGA and a Disc Golf Hall of Fame Member.

On Monday, June 23 I  attended a memorial service for PDGA Hall of Fame member Darrell Lynn with my  wife Susan, Bob Thurmon, Willi Williams, Gary Edge and members of the Lynn family in Manila, Arkansas. Darrell was not just the first  Administrator and employee of the PDGA, he made the PDGA work. It was a great  leap of faith that Darrell finally accepted the position after many repeated  pleadings by me. It was a great relief to me when he finally said, "Yes".  
I knew  that he would do right and make it work and he did not disappoint. It was a  great leap of faith because the PDGA was basically broke at the time, had  virtually nothing and needed everything. It was with a promise and a large dose  of faith that he stepped into this void and gave it everything he  had.
In addition, to his  dedication and sacrifice for the organization of the PDGA, Darrell work  tirelessly to bring disc golf to Memphis. He was instrumental in getting the  course at Meeman Shelby installed, then he worked to improve it and to organize  events. I am sure that this short description of his efforts do not do  justice to the reality of his many efforts. But that is not the purpose of this  message.
At the memorial  service, one of his sisters, Connie Whitman, approached us and told us of  the families desire for a memorial of some kind for Darrell at Meeman Shelby  Disc Golf Course. She has established an account at Regions Bank, Acct. 87051249. You may go  to any Regions Bank branch and make a donation to the Darrell Lynn  Memorial Fund. The design and construction of this
memorial are yet to be  determined and will likely be driven by how much money is raised. So I  respectfully ask that you make a donation. There will likely be a fund raising  event in the future. If you can make it to Memphis this weekend there is a fund raiser  tournament for a memorial to Ed Headrick and I am sure that Uncle  Bob will have an opportunity for you to give to the Memorial for Darrell as  well.
To be quite honest,  the PDGA probably would not have made it had not been for Darrell Lynn.  Let's give so that his sacrifice will not be forgotten and can  inspire many future generations of aspiring disc golf  leaders.
Ted  Smethers
PDGA #1159
Former Commissioner  and DGHOF Member 
pcaldwell
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 10:56:57 PM

Who won? I'm hoping a few more people signed up this morning to make it a decent competition. Wish I could have been there....
KevinB
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 12:31:17 AM

Scores are up.....  http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=7444

Thanks again to all that came out and participated in Kentucky State Singles.

Thanks also to all our sponsors that helped to make it happen, if you have the time drop them a line and say thanks.

Good night.
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:00:35 AM

Thank you Fred & Kevin for all the time and energy you put into making this event a great one!
L_Stephens
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 1:28:42 PM

I'd like to thank Fred and Kevin for their hard work running this event. I'd also say that the course has never looked so good. I play Idlewild many times a week and the course the past few weeks has looked absolutely stunning. The mere addition of painting 'Drop-Zone' on top of the drop zone cores brings the course to a new level of professionalism. The addition of stones around #15 basket turning it into an island holes added a full stroke to my game and altered the way I approach the green. The clearing and undercutting along the fairways is beautiful and I thank everyone that has pitched in to do this.

On a side note. I was very happy to finally shoot in a tournament the same way I shoot casually at Idlewild. It clearly shows how useless ratings are when playing on your home turf. 856 shooting 950 rounds.

Thanks again to all that helped make this tournament possible...and especially Kevin.
KevinB
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 11:38:04 AM

If you are missing a pair of shoes you left at the shelter during Kentucky State Singles, they are in the back of Fred's truck.
KevinB
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 3:05:13 PM

Like last year, I did a survey to give out to players at KY States at Idlewild.
This year I forgot to pass them out as I was taking scorecards and Fred was working the grill.
If you would like to, please go to www.IdlewildDiscGolf.com and leave a comment in the field under "What Makes A Great Tournamnet?"
Any feedback is appreciated.

Finally, thanks to all that participated and thanks to the sponsors.