Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Best course in the area for out of towner Options
sharkbite
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:29:12 PM

Hi all, will be visiting from St. Louis for some schooling in Sheronville late July for 2 weeks and wanted to know what the best courses to play are? I prefer long challenging courses (good advance/pro level course) also any recommendation on the best weeklies to play, I saw a few wen doubles, sounds fun. Any insight would be great, look forward to meeting u and playing the courses. Thanks in advance thumbsup
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:55:18 PM

Well im sure you have heard of the obvious one. Idlewild disc golf course in Kentucky is one of the best in the world! And its about a 45 min. drive from Sharonville but believe me its worth it. Everything plays true par(par 4s,5s) So if your looking for a long course, this is as long as they get. Another course which is a lot closer to the sharonville area is Harbin Park. Which is mostly open long drives, with pretty nice elevation changes. Those are my two suggestions!!!
ahlavac
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:59:06 PM

I recommend...

#1 - Idelwild: This course offers serious challenges (water, OB, distance), an aesthetic setting, and good signs. Most locals consider this one of the top courses in the area.

#2 - Mt. Airy: Another challenging course that is closer to Sharonville. I would print a course map if you're going to play Mt. Airy because some of the holes have moved and the signs are not great.

#3 - Gulley: This is a new course that is still being perfected (needs tee boxes, signs, water fountains), but is worth a visit. Not a lot of traffic at this one, so you can have the whole place to yourself.

finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:22:36 PM

What courses do you like in St. Louis? There are quite a few golfers around here that have played in St. Louis. Idlewild is a disc golf experience not to be missed but, give yourself 2&1/2-3&1/2 hours to play the first time. Mt. Airy is a fine-long challenging course where par is good-Tues. night Ace Fund for $6-search the site for more details.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:24:24 PM

Mt. Airy and Idlewild for sure. Just be sure to go behind the white lodge after #4 at Airy to find #5.

discndat
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:21:11 PM

1stplace You have to play Banklick while you're here. It's a challenging course, fun course and the most aesthetic course in the area. I may get some differing opinions from some here, but Banklick is just beautiful and is maintained very well IMO. Wednesday Doubles at 6 p.m. always draws a crowd - 44 last week! Oh, did I say it was 24 holes? Gotta do it. Have fun!
sharkbite
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:09:01 PM

finnhawc wrote:
What courses do you like in St. Louis? There are quite a few golfers around here that have played in St. Louis. Idlewild is a disc golf experience not to be missed but, give yourself 2&1/2-3&1/2 hours to play the first time. Mt. Airy is a fine-long challenging course where par is good-Tues. night Ace Fund for $6-search the site for more details.

In St. Louis it's Endicott and Sioux Passage Park , JB park is nice as well, overall Ozark Mountain (par 72) outside of Rolla (Dave Macormacks course) is my favorit. So it sounds like Idlewild is a must. Thanks
agentdozzer
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:35:57 PM

Idle Wild is a must and if your down in the KY you should hit up banklick. It will bring your spirits up after idle wild kicks yours ass(as it does to all of us) They are the nicest around with Mt Airy coming in third, the rest are clumped together but most of the 18 hole courses in the natti are very nice.
sharkbite
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:59:37 AM

I checked out some pics of Idlewild and it looks great, I also noticed fellow Gateway golfer Justin aka "The Kid" holds a few records, very nice. I'll have to ask him about it. Do you guys do a regular out there at all, this is definitely the type of course you want to play with someone. Again I'll be up there July 27 through Aug 8. Thanks
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:55:55 AM

Tell Justin that his record can't be broken as the course has now changed(a bit more difficult). Avery Jenkins holds the Disc & Dat course layout record(a bit easier). Not much organized stuff out there at Idlewild but we can usually get something going. As for folks to play with you can find the Who is Playing Where thread under Informal Events at the top of the Forum Main Page. What is your PDGA #? Mine is 15450-if you have the time on Sat. 8/2/08 there is a local tournament for $20 max entry fee at a course with a tweaked layout that is quite a challenge-the $6 Ace Fund will likely be there on the Tues. before the Tourney.
FattyJ
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:23:23 PM

My priority list for local courses to play:
1. Idlewild
2. Mt. Airy
3. Banklick
4. Gulley, Harbin or Oxford

hope that helps

The Professor