Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Williamsburg Options
rangel
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 2:38:13 PM

Travelled over to W'burg this past weekend.  Got lost between 8 and 9angry.  (I was never in the Boy Scouts. )
So. I tried my hand at making a course map.  I need someone to look over my work.  I did it from memory.  I would also need some instruction as to where (and how) to park a file.
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 6:21:43 PM

send it to webadmim@cincinnatidiscgolf.com we'll take a look at it. There's a course map up on the courses page already. Is it different than that?
rangel
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 9:31:59 AM

The map on the course page is the original 9 hole layout.
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:25:17 PM

The new map is up on the course page. Thanks Rod!
diracell
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 6:58:34 PM

big tree down on 11, just missed basket by 3 ft.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 9:38:17 AM

I just played Williamsburg for the first time in awhile and I discovered two things. First, there are new laminated multi-color tee signs like the ones at Turtlecreek that are great! Secondly, I am confused as heck about the course layout... ...it doesn't follow the new posted map or, as near as I can tell, the new tee signs.

I'm going by recollection from Sunday... ...I should have wrote this down... ...but this is what I remember...

The first seven holes follow the layout shown on the map then the course changes direction, and what was No. 17 on the map, becomes the new No. 8. There's a new gravel path that leads back from new No. 8's basket into the woods towards No. 9. OK, so the course designers have decided to change the flow of the course,not a problem, but that leads me to my first concerns. To get to the apparent tee pads for No. 9 you now walk back that hole's fairway from the target to the tee pads, which is a little bit dangerous if someone is throwing that hole. Not a particularly unavoidable danger but a little "different" course design. My next question is the new tee sign for No. 9. It has a "9 L" designation, which I would guess is 9 "Long" but it is on the tee pad that is closest to the basket and the distance on the sign, I think 198 ft., pretty much coincides with what appears to be the right distance. Does "L" not stand for "Long?"

After playing No. 9 you climb the hill and play the upper baskets before throwing down the steep hill towards the river. I have some more questions about what is happening up here.

On the posted map No. 10 (which doesn't have one of the new signs) is followed immediately by the really short uphill hole. In reality there are two holes between No. 9 and the short hole.   Is one of them being eliminated? Not all of the holes have the new signs which makes it a little bit harder to figure this all out. Also the photos on the website no longer match the numbering so that doesn't help either.

After playing all the "upper holes", and counting them twice, by the time I played the steep hole down towards the river, No. 14 on the map, a hole seems to have been lost somewhere. Are there plans to add another hole on top of the hill that isn't in yet? Did I miss the hole?  We searched around for a good half hour trying to find another target with no success.

From what I can recall, you then play the old No.'s 15 and 16 as No.'s 17 and 18 to finish the 18 hole course. Then there are two additional holes, No.'s 19 and No. 20 L. No. 19 is the hole labeled No. 8 on the map, the one that plays over the creek that feeds into the river. Then you walk all the way cross country to old No. 18 which now No. 20 L (from what I can recall) Again, am I mistaking what "L" stands for here, and if not, is there a tee pad for a "short" No. 20?

In summary, from what I can tell;

1.) The course is now a 20 hole course, with possible long and short tees for several holes; No.'s 2 and 5 (temporarily destroyed,) No. 9 (maybe mislabeled?) and No. 20 (possibly not completed?), with some existing others in the works.

2.) There is a hole "missing" on top of the hill between No. 10 and No. 14.

3.) "L" might stand for something other than "long."

I don't have a problem with course changes, in fact I like them a lot, but I'm still trying to figure out what was improved to the course layout by switching the flow after No. 7. It just seems that the holes that become new No. 19 and new No. 20 L, don't follow in a natural flow after No. 18 when the course did flow naturally before the changes.   

Don't interpret this posting as a complaint... it's not... ...I really like the Williamsburg course. I also really like the new course signs. My questions/concerns relate to my interpretation of the order of the holes as they have now been reconfigured.

We're thinking about playing there again next Sunday and thought we'd try to get some clarification before we go. Thanks,
soundmind
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 10:23:30 AM

yeah it needz alot of work!
I havent heard from anyone about a plan on fixing this.
kids have been wrecking the signs,somones been cutting down branches and trees with a hatchett to make the holes easy 4 them.
I think there is only 19 holes right now and the signs are way off. if anyone is playing or working out there call me 513 254 1991
ahlavac
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:07:00 PM

I played Williamsburg this weekend for the first time. I liked the course (particularly the woods holes), but got a little confused with the flow. I think I missed a couple of holes unfortunately. Does anyone know when the course re-design will be completed (with new tee signs and numbers for all holes), and when this website might be updated with a current course map?
Meow_Mix
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 10:54:57 PM

soundmind wrote:
yeah it needz alot of work! I havent heard from anyone about a plan on fixing this. kids have been wrecking the signs,somones been cutting down branches and trees with a hatchett to make the holes easy 4 them. I think there is only 19 holes right now and the signs are way off. if anyone is playing or working out there call me 513 254 1991

Whats up Donaven (spelling)  Are you interested in putting in a long tee on hole 16? it is the hole before you go out in the open (for the next two holes) That hole would be pimp with that long tee along the stream. I would go in half or 2/3 for the tee pad (60$ total value). tell me what you think.
dirtball
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 1:17:14 PM

this is my home park, i live like...2 minutes away. anyways, i wish there was some sort of club or org. that was watching over the course. me and my friends play here a lot, mainly cause its so damn close. but i think it has it's challenges and the fun long driving rips in the open. But i do get bummed out when i see what the thrash in this town has done to the park. i played there a week ago before the big snow and there were kids on 4 wheelers out there ripping **** up. don't get me wrong, i'm all for fun on 4 wheelers, but i was unaware that it was legal to ride on public parks. anyways, if anyone knows of any organization that has any monitoring of the functions that go on there, could you inform me. next to going out there with my friends and trying to do what we can to keep the park clean and working, i got nothing. i'm sure i'd catch **** if i went out there with a concrete mixer and made  the pro tees that are supposed to be there, or put concrete where there is just **** dirt. thanks
StorminSteve
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 3:17:41 PM

As for the riding in public parks, it is illegal !!! The only state park in the area to ride is at Sinking Springs. You must also have a permit to do it there . I would call the police and let them deal with them .
topherb
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 8:56:28 AM

Yeah next time call the police !
dirtball
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 8:18:11 PM

well, though i completly agree, i do feel like that is the smaller of my problems with cleaning up the park.  We'll see if i can get some people to do a little work in the spring.
Valet
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 8:20:22 PM

Do you have a park department? Or are YOU the park dept?
Valet
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 8:24:09 PM

Let me clarify that...not saying it's the park dept's responsibility to keep it clean (it's all of ours that visit the park), but that's where I'd go if I were you and I'd work with them to mobilize the troops. This is a great place to get the word out once you've got a plan, a date, resources, etc... on the calendar, but the first place to go is to talk to those who are charged w/ the planning, protection, beautification, etc...of the park. Good luck, sounds like the course has lots of potential.
dirtball
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:53:55 PM

i don't think it's going terrible, and that it's not an aweful course. it just needs some TLC. i've been hunting up people and talking to people on the park that want to ge out there and make some awesomeness happen.
Valet
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:29:58 PM

awesomeness rocks.
dirtball
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:25:27 PM

i concur! awesomeness and radness are the essence of life.
Jay Dub
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:18:51 AM

We're going to check this course out this morning. Maybe a local would like to meet there about 10 AM and show the holes?
Troy
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 10:31:15 PM

We will be having a work day to start preparing for the course challenge on Wednesday (August 4th) at 6:00pm . Any and all help will be appreciated. Please call me at 513-843-6818 with any questions.
Troy
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 5:08:28 AM

We have the course 75% ready to go with what we are allowed to do. We are going to do some more weed trimming and some path clean up this week. Special thanks to the Fairs, who went out with their father Sunday and did some major chainsaw work.
rangel
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 3:43:42 PM

Troy wrote:
We have the course 75% ready to go with what we are allowed to do. We are going to do some more weed trimming and some path clean up this week. Special thanks to the Fairs, who went out with their father Sunday and did some major chainsaw work.

The map I made three years ago looks to be outdated.  So maybe an updated version is in order.  I'm still no boy scout.  Troy, Could you or someone take a look at this.  Or.  Show me where to send it for further review.

Then would someone tell me the right way to use flickr.  My youngest is away at college.

www.flickr.com/photos/rodangel/6231859198/
[img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6109/6231859198_6056da2c66.jpg[/img]

finnhawc
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 3:50:01 PM

That is accurate mapping, Rod. As for Flicker though, I have no idea.
Troy
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 8:07:18 PM

rangel wrote:

The map I made three years ago looks to be outdated.  So maybe an updated version is in order.  I'm still no boy scout.  Troy, Could you or someone take a look at this.  Or.  Show me where to send it for further review.

Then would someone tell me the right way to use flickr.  My youngest is away at college.

That is a great map.

www.flickr.com/photos/rodangel/6231859198/
[img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6109/6231859198_6056da2c66.jpg[/img]

sisyphus
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:17:48 AM

Hi all, Sorry about last minute notice, but it's gorgeous and dry out, so I'm thinking of playing W'burg this afternoon at 4:30, & would love to see it again from the eyes of a veteran, so if Troy or Rod, or anyone who has nurtured this course along is available, love to see you there. I've got an idea on helping with the mid-course numbering confusion, but I don't want to step on any toes, so I'd like to chat with those who might know what the final layout is intended to be. --Jeff A.