Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Plastic question! Options
I3u6sIe
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:54:34 PM

So I have been playing disc golf for about a year now and am very pleased with my porformance. I still dont have an aresonal of throwing choices, i stick to the forehand and backhand and do just fine buttttt......... I am having some major distance issues. First off, I throw a Discraft Magnet 173-174 gram for my putt and approach, and i can throw it a consistant 230 dead straight every time, im money with it. However, my maximum and long distance drivers are only going about 260-270 backhand. Does anyone have a theory on this? And my next question...Why dont i get the distance out of my FLX plastic avenger ss like my esp and elite z drivers? I throw my FLX avenger ss perfect, im lethal with my accurasy but i cant get that thing to fly over 250 yards no matter how hard i try. Yet my other distance drivers such as my elite z spectra, elite z flick, and my crystal z avenger ss go about 20 yards further... Anyone know anything about this flx plastic and why its not carrying like my other drivers? My cryztal z avenger goes much further, same disc, different plastic...is it just the flx plastic? Please give me thoughts and opionions. Im always up for learning more! Thanks
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:53:26 PM

You can throw a FLX Avenger SS 250 YARDS!!! Jebus! 750 feet is a long long way.

Ok...take it from a dude that has been playing 1 year, 1 month, 15 days and counting. It's all about the grip. I have the opposite problem you have. I can throw the FLX farther because I get a more consistent...and more comfortable grip on it. I get much more snap with the FLX. The ESP, pro, champion and especially crystal...I just can't seem to get a solid grip for the rip.

So...if you are throwing farther with one plastic over the other...use the one that works the best for you. However, I've found discs to be like friends...sometimes the ones you absolutely hate...will eventually be your best ones.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:57:37 AM

If you are throwing the magnet 230Ft. dead straight that is great now try a comet and do the same thing. You are probably not able to flip your disc yet consistently. Go to an open field(give yourself a bunch of room)and try to turn your discs over meaning: (if you are right handed reverse for lefties) make the disc go left to right instead of the normal right to left which you get with your Flicks and Avengers most likely. This will be easiest to do with your magnet so use it first until you get the hang of it. Make the disc fly smoothly don't go for distance just yet. Once you can comfortably flip most any disc then the distance will come. And I would get an Equalizer if you'd like more D. What Lee said is right on if a plastic feels better go with it. The different plastics don't give or take any significant distance to your throw. Go throw with a Pro or good AM player.
rangel
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:32:56 AM

First.  I do this in the belief you are something of a thinker and not a thrower A thrower is someone who doesn't think about it...they just do it.  Throwers should not read any further.laugh

Some quotes from another web site for thought.  The web site is discgolfreview .com.  These represent a general consensus. 

"Most people should be able to throw 350' if nothing they are doing is horribly wrong in their form."

I don't believe the number is quite that high, but I will not debate it.  I'm sure he is talking about men here.

"With 400' of driver distance, you should be able to throw 330'-350' with a midrange and at least 300' with a putter."

If you think of a putter as 75% of your driver, then a 230 ft magnet is roughly a 300 ft driver.

One last one.  But this quote might be a bit dated.  And, it has nothing to do with your question.  The discussion was working thru distance lines and height.

"less than 1% of disc golfers can go > 430' on a line drive.

there's maybe like 5-10 people in the world that can go > 500' on a line drive.

basically, it's the bell curve, and how far along it is up to you. i know 6-8 pros that can go 450'+ and are ~5'8" (a couple of them go 600'+), just as there's a handful of 5'8" basketball players that can dunk (and i know there's a few 5'8" guys who can do a 360 dunk).

the middle 2/3 of the bell curve are basically people who go 220-360'.

btw, the majority of the people that can bomb naturally developed power. only a handful i know ever lingered for a long period of time at say 350' and then had a breakthrough that took em to 425'+."

I3u6sIe
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:57:29 PM

Ok thanks for the input guys, and no i didnt mean yards i meant feet lol. But anyways, to the comet suggestion, I do infact have a comet but when i try to snap it hard for extra distance it does an S for me, first goes to the right then comes back to the left, but it usually goes farther right than it comes back left. So i'm assuming there may be a release error on my part because it has the same stability as my magnet and that never happens with the mag. And i do have a pretty solid anhyzer with my midrange discs and my putter and im still working on my drivers. My flick I throw forehand for a nice S, but when i throw it backhand and try to put an anny on it so it turns back over left, it just immediately goes left. I cant get it to go right then left like i can my force or avenger. The flx plastic is my favorite as far as grip and i feel most comfortable throwing my flx discs, but the distance just is not there. Im not a very big guy, im only 5'11" 145, but i have a 14 year old neighbor who throws 30 consitantly and he's smaller than i am haha. So with what has been said thus far, im thinking i may not be getting the snap in my wrist i should be. Anyone have any realease tips or ways to improve your snap?
I3u6sIe
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:58:31 PM

sorry, he throws 300 consistantly, not 30, i should practice my typing along with my golf game
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:20:25 PM

I3u6sIe wrote:
Anyone have any realease tips or ways to improve your snap?

I've struggled with this too-but the rare occasions where I do get ahold of one tend to be the times I slow everything down and have a nice, fluid delivery. I think that we trick ourselves into thinking that a violent run-up will generate more power-more often than not, this just confuses our mechanics. Look at baseball hitters or ball golfers, they generate all of their power without stepping at all.

I've also found that keeping your throwing arm straight helps a lot in generating snap (and improving accuracy). Some players can bend their elbow and still get the snap and the line, but for me, keeping my arm straight helps.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:21:08 PM

Size means nothing! Ask Ken Jarvis, Steve Rico, Steve Brinster, Pat Vitale, and many other long throwers. Dr. Rick Voakes is an oldish and smallish and he can throw 400 when he needs to. Blakely is rail thin and can chuck it pretty far. Form is most important. No biggie if you can't turn the Flick over it is ridiculously stable. With the Comet try a slightly higher release angle with just a touch more energy in it. As for snap try holding your disc with a light grip until just before you release it and then a split-second before you let it fly grip it very hard with anger even. Barry Schultz suggests thinking keeping the nose down when trying for distance. Don't force it nose-down just think it-I guess it works for him. Ben's advice is perfect!
osu_buckeyes
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:59:07 PM

The most important thing for distance is definitely weight transfer, timing, and fluidity. Strength will help, but only after you have the timing down perfect. Try and get your whole body into it, from your feet, to your hips, to your shoulders, to your wrist. If it is all working in concert you will get a nice satisfying SNAP an some nice D.
mikesech
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:06:54 PM

try throughing less stable discs and strangthin your arm and always practice
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:42:06 AM

There are some good points here.
The best distance disc for one person is not necessarily the best for another person.
Faster arm speeds will require more over-stable plastic for max distance - try using an equalizer from Nati Disc Golf.  
If you can make a disc turn over and fly to the right (a right hander throwing a back hand shot), you are ready to get a new, more over-stable disc.
Also remember, as a disc ages, it will gradually become less over-stable.
Lastly, big distance is only useful on some holes - good putting and accurate approaches have helped me win dozens of tourneys.
Thanks to Fred (NATI DISC GOLF) for deciding to sponsor me!!!
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:37:24 PM

I3u6sIe wrote:
Anyone have any realease tips or ways to improve your snap?

1. take a towel and practice "snapping" it

2. get an Equalizer and work with it. Fred Salaz is the man to get one from. 
    PM him at: http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/Default.aspx?tabid=74&g=pmessage&u=434 

3. go to a soccer field and throw all your discs to one net and then repeat back the other way till you're tired (there is no substitute for practice)

4. go to discgolfreview.com  (specificly: http://discgolfreview.com/resources/tips.shtml ) and read the tips Blake has posted.  talk about     technique and executing technique are two different things -- but the former can definitely complement the latter

5. consider the folowing excellent post form www.pdga.com DISCussion:

Quote:
Quote:
I've thrown a 166g and a 175g Monarch in the past 2 days and this disc is FLIPPY!!! I even tried spike hyzers but the disc flattened out, turned and just crashed into the ground. I even tried slowing my run up, and just standing still, but this disc just wanted to keep acting like a roller. Very unimpressed.

Sounds like poor speed control to me.  When I moved to [Florida] I threw all stable discs.  My "understable" discs included ones that would only flip if thrown hard and flat.  When I got down here I was lucky enough to get to know Ken Climo and play some rounds with him.  One day we were on one of the easiest holes on our course, a 280' spike hyzer.  There was a bit of a headwind.  After we threw our main drives we started throwing other discs.  After we'd thrown all of our stable discs we continued.  Kenny gave me one of his beat Rocs and told me to throw it smoothly with a lot of hyzer.  I threw it and it flipped over the road.  Kenny then took his roller Roc and threw a spike hyzer that never flipped at all and landed right at the basket.  He told me he used to work on that type of thing a lot to learn precise speed control.  Lesson:  turning over a disc is something the thrower does, not the disc.  We were throwing old beat Rocs...I'm sure Kenny could throw the Monarch and make it look like a Monster.