Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mid-Range Help Options
PaintBaller4
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 9:33:21 PM

Hey guys. My name is Dan and I've been playing disc golf seriously for about 4 weeks. But I have played off and on for about 2 years. Right now driving is the worst part of my game, but it's just the distance (about 300' with my CE Leopard-nice S curve). But anyways, I have a DX Shark 175 and a DX Cobra 175. I really like the Cobra and I have it beat to were it just turns, so I'll be adding another one to my bag shortly. But I'm not sure if I want to stay with the Shark or switch to the Roc. I am also looking at the Skeeter. So I have a couple questions:

1. Is the Roc a beginner/novice disc?
2. How many different mid-range disc do you carry? (Not counting different states of wear, just different discs)
3. Any input on any of the 3 discs would be much appreciated.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 10:35:46 PM

The roc is an incredibly versatile disc. For example, I've used several since I first picked up the game of disc golf, and myriad professional players swear by rocs. In short, everyone can use a Roc, and it's pretty much a mid-range staple.

The Buzzz by discraft is a disc similar to the roc; in my experience, I've found it to be a tad more overstable. If you want a consistent mid-range, try out any form of either the roc or buzzz -- they are pretty much legendary as go-to midrange discs.

I'm a novice player, but I carry a beat-in dx roc (solid straight shots), dx kite (turnovers, longer shots), and an flx buzz.(hyzers, inclement weather) Notice that I have three different discs, each used for a different shot. Many veteran players suggest getting three discs of the same kind and beating them in to different levels to acheive a flippy disc, a straighter disc, and an overstable one. Either way, those 3 discs should cover the majority of shots required during a round.
Lingo1976
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2008 11:22:32 PM

I would have to agree with Kid........ I have many mid-ranges to choose from. Each course needs different things. For example, that DX Cobra you are rockin. I have been throwing that disc since it came out. I always have two in my bag at least. Like you said, when it gets beat in, you can do almost anything with it. I now what it is going to do with every type of throw. I don't know many people that carry them but I live and die by it. I threw Cobras at the original Banklick (now 3 holes at FOX RUN GC) and it works great at the current 24th. Besides that, all I can say is invest in a few. My goto mids consist of Cobras, Comets (great for beginners), Rocs, Buzzs, Gators, and don't forget to rock the DX Rhyno for a mid!!!! You see "beat in" a ton in this topic. Remember that and don't give up on a disc. The flight characteristic will change for the better (Just don't lose it before then) J-son
L_Stephens
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 12:02:12 AM

Buzz for me...Roc for others. I've never liked the feel of the lip on the Roc or Comet...that's why I highly prefer the Buzz. I used to have a bag full of drivers but I've been cutting those back and adding many more mid range discs.

Goto: 172G Yellow FLX Buzz.
178G Orange FLX Buzz.
169G Yellow FLX Buzz for some nice turn over shots.
175G White FLX Drone when I absolutely need it to be stable in a headwind.
172G Baby Blue FLX Drone when I need a drone but don't need it too mean.
175G Baby Blue ESP Wasp.
171G Baby Blue Meteor for those big floating sky annys that everyone else throws with a putter.
175G Orange ZONE Putter for when I need a straight 230ft shot and only 230ft.

I don't drive with my BangerGTs at all.
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 1:50:40 AM

This will sound strange to some who know me but, I'd try getting a new Shark the same weight as your old one. If you are used to it you will learn more about what the disc is doing by sticking with three or four models for a year or so depending on your learning curve. By comparing the differences in flight characteristics between your new Shark and old one you will be able to tweak your form into shape much more rapidly. Good form will help you much more than specific discs. I carry essentially one mid-range disc only-The ROC in four different stages(three is all you need). I also carry three putters(two the same just in case) and five to six drivers. I love the CE Leopard and the Cobra is very similar to a Roc just a tad less stable. Next I'd try an Avenger SS or a Teebird-TL they are like the Leopard but should carry a little farther. Good Luck and have fun always even when you are being serious, seriously. :-). I have been playing for 20+ years, for what it is worth and sometimes I still got game.
KevinB
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:19:24 PM

Stingray...must have midrange.
Hyzer it...Flip it...Roll it, whatever you want to do.
mikesech
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:02:59 PM

id get an esp buzzz or a christal Z buzzz but rocks are good too
mikesech
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:05:21 PM

hey Lee Stephens buzzz is spelled like this (BUZZZ) LOL