Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Kentucky State Doubles Championships Options
bobherb
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 4:43:33 PM

Sporty?
Very creative Kevin.
Glad to hear you are doing this.
We have been contemplating it ever since the long #2 pin was installed.
Did Fred laser the distance?
zac
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 5:37:46 PM

yea, i hope we can get a distance idea, perhaps its pretty short to accommodate all divisions. is there a drop zone or a re-tee rule in play on this hole?
Rob J
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 8:26:45 PM

KevinB wrote:
There will be an added temp hole to Idlewild for the Kentucky State Doubles. The hole plays between two and three, with a drive across the pond. After putting out on the long basket of two, follow the cut grass path, above the basket on the hill, to the painted tee line. The basket will be across the pond, towards the shelter, between the big and small tree on the side of the hill. A few of us threw the shot tonight, it's sporty. I believe Fred will have a basket out there tomorrow evening for practice rounds.

If it is long, maybe consider having Intermediate, etc. play from a "short tee" tee line that is on the running path and plays to the same temp. basket ... 

also, does this mean 18 cards of 4 (2 teams) and one card of 6 (3 teams) == or 19 cards of 4? 
Rob J
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 8:45:02 PM

Kevin said it is about 280 tee to pin and about 200 to clear the pond (and it is a downhill shot).
drop zone across pond if both on a team miss. 19 cards of 4 players
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:07:02 PM

We forgot to thank the GCFDA for their help in running the Ky States. The box of goodies used in running a tournament along with the scoreboard and scoreboard cards really helps to make things run a little smoother. We remembered that we forgot to thank the club while playing the first round together and agreed to mention the club at the awards. Well, since one of us isn't running on all cylindors(it's not Kevin) and the other was too busy, we both forgot. Anyway, thank you GCFDA.
KevinB
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:44:33 PM

The results are up for the 2008 Kentucky State Doubles Championships at Idlewild Disc Golf Course.

The tournament was dedicated to all the Adopt a Hole volunteers, past & present, for all the work they have put into Idlewild, to make it one of the best reviewed courses around.

The added temp hole, that played between holes 2 & 3 and played over the pond, seemed to garner some positive response.  It played much more sporty with the headwind on Saturday, than on Thursday night when we set it up, and the wind was calm.  Also heard mixed responses on the flowers that line the fairway on hole 15, however everyone seemed to agree they are beautiful to look at.

Many thanks both Fred and I would like to extend:

First off, the players in this event for preregistering and filling the field.  It was a huge help to us in being able to get stuff done the night before and for allowing Saturday morning to run relatively smooth.  We were ten minutes late teeing off, but hope to improve on that in the future.  Also thanks to those that filled out the survey for me after the tournament.  I think it helps to receive that information, since we are a work in progress with hopes to always put on better events in the future

Mr. & Mrs. Eric Simpson, Mr J.P. Mayer, Mr. Lee Stephens, Mr. Josh Day, Mr. Matt Blakely, Mr. Rob Johnston, Mr. Bob Herbert, Mr. Keith Dailey, and please forgive us if we are forgetting to mention your name, for helping us the night before and/or on Saturday.  It was much appreciated.

Thanks to the folks that purchased the Idlewild stamped CFR Innova Champion Destroyer.
Jim Ferrara
Jason Anderson
Chris Fowler
Kevin Briegel
Donavan (?)
Colin Hurley
Jason Gabbard
Keith Dailey
John Rabago
Steve Spencer

Thanks to sponsors that donated to the tournament.
The Nati Disc Golf
www.thenatidiscgolf.com
The Equalizer
www.discntucky.com
Boone County Parks
www.boonecountyky.org/parks
Florence Y'all Gyros & Wings
www.gyrosandwings.com
Disc Golf Shop and More
www.discgolfshopandmore.com
Ameristop Store #29052 on Burlington Pike (KY 18)
Twisted Flyer
www.twistedflyer.com
Matthew Blakely
www.discraft.com/team_blakely.html
GCFDA
www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com

Thanks to Boone County Parks and some gentlemen from the Boone County Jail Workcamp.  There were two men from the park district and six men from the workcamp that worked side by side with us on the Saturday, after the storm ripped the course to shreds.  Their hard work played a huge part in this event being able to take place.  Without them, I'm not sure the course would have been playable before tournament time.

If you see, visit, or contact any of these people or businesses, please let them know you appreciate all they do to contribute to Kentucky State Championships.

I'm sure Fred would like to thank his wife and also Tyler Horne, for answering his phone when he was looking for a partner at the last minute.  An early birthday gift indeed.
I'd like to thank my wife & kids and also Eric Simpson, for walking around in the woods with this sweaty fat guy for two rounds.

Anyone that we failed to mention here, please know that your help and support are very much appreciated.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 5:41:31 PM

And thank you KevinB (one classy Democrat!!!)
jeremy
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:08:43 AM

Great event guys!  I hope to be able to make it a tradition!  It had been about three or four years since I played the course.  There's been a LOT of great changes.  Keep up the good work!